Mic preamps?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreamer

Classified Forum Moderator
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge of the suitability of using a mic amp as a phono preamp? Mics and some cartridges ave similarly low outputs, and I thought maybe this might be a possibility, especially with some of the studio mic preamps that have variable, user-adjustable loading...

Thanks,
--Richard

I suppose gains might be simmilar. Most mics are either 1/4" phono plugs or XLR though on the input side. Why would you bother though, there are sooooo many actual phono pre-amps available?

Don't forget that you need a reverse RIAA curve in the chain, so a mic preamp won't do.

Stereophile magazine just had an article about using a mic pre-amp as a phono pre-amp, March 2009 by Michael Fremer. Then using a computer program to add the RIAA equalization curve. The problem is that good mic pre-amps are designed to interface with microphones. This is demonstrated by how selective people doing recording are about match mics to different pre-amps. Designing good phono pre-amps is a mature art, why start all over?

Stereophile magazine just had an article about using a mic pre-amp as a phono pre-amp, March 2009 by Michael Fremer. Then using a computer program to add the RIAA equalization curve. The problem is that good mic pre-amps are designed to interface with microphones. This is demonstrated by how selective people doing recording are about match mics to different pre-amps. Designing good phono pre-amps is a mature art, why start all over?

Fremer was on this subject of mic. pre-amps as it related to sending your records to the digital domain. Apparently there is some new software out there that will let you tweek or set the RIAA curve yourself. We know that different curves were used at different times with different labels, and most all current phono pre-amps do not allow for this.

Doug - out

Latest posts

Back