Dust Cover--Up or Down?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dust Cover--Up, Down, or Off?

• I keep my Dust Cover open during playback.

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • I close the Dust Cover on my TT When spinning records.

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • I take the darn thing off the hinges when using my TT.

Votes: 16 55.2%

• Total voters

Dreamer

Classified Forum Moderator
Reaction score
So I was wondering if there is any general consensus on dust cover position during playback on a TT. If you've got a hinged dust cover, should it be up (open), down (closed), or taken off the hinges during playback, to minimize vibrations being transmitted to the TT from soundwaves and other air-borne resonances in the room?

My TT cover doesn't have hinges either, but even if it did I'd remove it. Dust covers are another source of resonance that you don't want transmitting back into your playback system.

the fist thing I did was take mine off. the TT will look cooler without it and is easier to use

Mine is so heavy I am sure it mass loads the TT. I take it off, and I don't prefer the difference. So I leave it on, and up whilst it's playing. Doesn't seem to vibrate much at high volumes, either.

I am going to try to put it down, as it should stop / protect against airbourne inteference with the arm/cart/ deck bits in general. Kind of a "protected environment".

My forsell doesn't have a dustcover per se, although I use the bag it was wrapped in as one. I remove it during play.

My first TT, a Roksan Xerxes, did have a dustcover. I always removed it while I was playing records, replacing it only when I was finished for the day.

I keep the dust cover closed when playing. I've found that there's a bit of feedback if I don't use it. However I'm making a new a/v stand and it will be placed differently, so I may not have to with the new configuration.

My Thorens I played closed. THe SME does not have a real dust cover so it is not there when playing.

Jeff:cool:

What SME turntable do you have? The Model 30/2 is high on my wishlist (and there it'll have to stay until I get my finances sorted out!).

Same as Tim, no hinges on my VPI. My acrylic dust cover is removed for playback.

What SME turntable do you have? The Model 30/2 is high on my wishlist (and there it'll have to stay until I get my finances sorted out!).

Rich,
I have done several upgrades over the last 12 months. I just do not announce it. I have the SME 10 and the 20 and 30 are just too far out of reach. I bought it used and got a steal on it otherwise I would still be using my Thorens.

Rich,
I have done several upgrades over the last 12 months. I just do not announce it. I have the SME 10 and the 20 and 30 are just too far out of reach. I bought it used and got a steal on it otherwise I would still be using my Thorens.

Very nice. SME's engineering is very impressive. Last time I was in the UK (May 2007) I sought out SME's factory. It's a bit of a bugger to find (being tucked away on the edge of an English village), but I finally managed it. I didn't get a tour, but at least I got to say hello to a couple of people there.

No dust cover at all here
I had a P3-24 for a couple of weeks and the dust cover fell off backwards.

Linn LP12

Up! Disnae shoogle yer deck man when yae lower it - nae danger tae dunt yer needle.

Latest posts

Back