Would you buy Summit X leg/spike assembly if available?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you buy the new Summit X leg/spikes if retro-fittable to the original Summit?

• Total voters

sleepysurf

Reaction score
As I mentioned in one of the Summit X threads (http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showpost.php?p=94796&postcount=84), I was wondering if the new Summit X leg/spike design could be retrofitted to our older Summits, thereby allowing the full range of panel tilt options (as we do with JTWrace' custom spikes, but perhaps easier to adjust). I emailed ML about that possibility, and this was their reply...
We do not currently offer the option to purchase the new legs of the Summit X, although it is certainly possible that you may see that option available later this year.
Although non-committal, it sounds like they might consider offering the Summit X legs as an accessory. If you currently own the original Summit, please answer this poll, to help ML decide if it's worth the effort to offer the new leg design as a retro-fit.

No need Jason's spikes work just fine.

They do, but it takes quite a bit of work counting spike turns to match both speakers to the exact same tilt. The new design makes it a no-brainer, and also raises the woofer cabinet/panel height a tad, which might be acoustically beneficial for some.

Hell yes! Do you know something? I hope so.

Now, what I really want (are you listening ML??) is two things....

1: An outrigger kit; and

2: Comprising of three feet. I have never understood the principle behind four feet? Someone care to explain - if there is a reason? Three feet are always stable no matter what - four legs are almost certainly at least somewhat unstable. It makes no sense. None at all.

...Comprising of three feet. I have never understood the principle behind four feet? Someone care to explain - if there is a reason? Three feet are always stable no matter what - four legs are almost certainly at least somewhat unstable. It makes no sense. None at all.

I use only THREE spikes for my (NHT) sub, but for tall speakers, I think they would tip too easily. It is a real pain though, when you have uneven floors, and trying to level with FOUR spikes!

They do, but it takes quite a bit of work counting spike turns to match both speakers to the exact same tilt. The new design makes it a no-brainer, and also raises the woofer cabinet/panel height a tad, which might be acoustically beneficial for some.

You might be right Alan.
And not having seen the Summit Xs yet and the new spike system,
I might change my mind.

I still haven't heard the CLXs, Spikes for the Summits might be a moot point after that.

I use only THREE spikes for my (NHT) sub, but for tall speakers, I think they would tip too easily. It is a real pain though, when you have uneven floors, and trying to level with FOUR spikes!

Yes - I use three spikes wherever I can - on my sub and on components under which I have spikes. It guarantees stability. But with the 'Logans it's infurating! Especially with spikes on the Vista!

"Certainly possible" sounds more like a conditional yes than a maybe. Since there is no flat out denial of the new spike fitting the old speker, it opens up the possibility. Now it just becomes a matter of logistics.

It appears they are a custom item and more than likely ML has only ordered enough spike assemblies for planned Summit X production and will need to order more to do an aftermarket sell to a bunch of us.

Perhaps you can forward this poll to them so they will get a feel for how many they will need.

You might be right Alan.
And not having seen the Summit Xs yet and the new spike system,
I might change my mind.

Download the Summit X manual from the ML website. The legs are a very slick modular design!

...Perhaps you can forward this poll to them so they will get a feel for how many they will need.

That's the plan. I've already emailed them about the poll.

Looks like I can't attach pics in a Poll. However, here's an embedded link with pics of the original Summit leg/spike assembly, and the new Summit X legs. If interested in possibly getting the new legs, please reply, as ML is monitoring our response!

SummitLegsMedium.jpg

SummitXlegsSmall.jpg

As I just posted in another thread, ML is going to start offering the Summit X leg assembly as an aftermarket upgrade (at least for original Summit owners)! Kudos to ML for "listening" to us! Stay tuned for details! Can't wait to order my set!

Now I'm ****ed! I don't own ML's anymore but I should do a motorized version. That will really get them fired up.

As I just posted in another thread, ML is going to start offering the Summit X leg assembly as an aftermarket upgrade (at least for original Summit owners)! Kudos to ML for "listening" to us! Stay tuned for details! Can't wait to order my set!

...and a three-foot outrigger upgrade?

Can't wait!

Hell yes! Do you know something? I hope so.

Now, what I really want (are you listening ML??) is two things....

1: An outrigger kit; and

2: Comprising of three feet. I have never understood the principle behind four feet? Someone care to explain - if there is a reason? Three feet are always stable no matter what - four legs are almost certainly at least somewhat unstable. It makes no sense. None at all.

http://www.oregondv.com/ these guys have outriggers for speakers that will fit most brands including ours

Last edited:
Good news! I f/u with ML today, and they now have the retro-fit Summit X legs in stock! Right now you can only order by phone, but eventually they will be added to the online Xtatic Shop. I spoke with Brian, in Sales, and placed my order. The pricing is very reasonable, but I won't quote it here, since I'm not sure it's 100% "official" yet. Shipping +/- tax will obviously vary. Call ML Sales for further details, and to place an order. Their main number is (785) 749-0133.

The Summit X legs offer a LOT more adjustments for panel tilt, and also raise the entire speaker 2-3" further off the floor. Kudos to ML for going out of their way to accommodate us older Summit owners! Yet another example of their great customer service!

Last edited:
Good news! I f/u with ML today, and they now have the retro-fit Summit X legs in stock! Right now you can only order by phone, but eventually they will be added to the online Xtatic Shop. I spoke with Brian, in Sales, and placed my order. The pricing is very reasonable, but I won't quote it here, since I'm not sure it's 100% "official" yet. Shipping +/- tax will obviously vary. Call ML Sales for further details, and to place an order. Their main number is (785) 749-0133.

The Summit X legs offer a LOT more adjustments for panel tilt, and also raise the entire speaker 2-3" further off the floor. Kudos to ML for going out of their way to accommodate us older Summit owners! Yet another example of their great customer service!

Thanks for the info:D

Mike

Yes - I use three spikes wherever I can - on my sub and on components under which I have spikes. It guarantees stability. But with the 'Logans it's infurating! Especially with spikes on the Vista!

A tripod is undoubtedly a stable platform. I think most of these manufactures use four is only because it's easier to put the feet at the corners of a square or rectangular chassis. Plus the downfiring woofer gets in the way of a tripod setup.

Just ordered mine. They really are reasonable.

Perhaps we can get Tom to move this to Tweaks and retitle it so more can see it.

Back