One more thought about the analog thing...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonepub

Reaction score
I think one point that hasn't been addressed with analog is that for many people, the chase and the process is their source of joy and that's ok.

Much like my friends with vintage sports cars or motorcycles, they have way more fun chasing down the rare bit, than actually driving the damn thing and I can appreciate that for what it is.

The needs of the person on a journey are much different than those either not on the journey or just up for a short hike.

I think we sometimes lose track of that. I know I do now and then.

Prior to my MCD500 & the discovery of XRCDs I was planning on getting back into vinyl in a much more serious. Now I'm thinking getting back into vinyl is not worth the cost of buying multiple formats of the same music and buying a much better TT. I just wish that there was a bigger selection of XRCDs. They may be costly but they play in everything and sound great! That's a tough combo to beat.

Jeff,

Totally concur. To paraphrase, the journey is more important than arriving at the destination.

I've said this before and I'll repeat here.

I was way into analogue and when CD technology got reasonably close to allow me to become emotionally involved with the music, I switched formats and I've never looked back.

FOR ME, the amount of effort involved to optimize an analogue based playback system is simply not worth it. Factor in the limited time that one side of the black pizza contains, the improvements made in digital playback, along with the convenience of CD playback such as track programming, and for this guy, there's no debate.

For example, last night I listened to Mahler's 6th symphony uninterrupted. It's about 80 minutes long. I didn't have to get up and play four records along with cleaning the stylus between records, etc. Having no breaks in listening to a piece like this makes a substantial difference in allowing one to experience all four movements as "one piece" of music and not a "piece" cut into quarters. Kinda like attending a live performance. For me, that means alot.

I've heard some hi end analogue systems at RMAF and CES in rooms that didn't corrupt the sound of the electronics and it certainly was impressive.

So as they say in French, chacun a son gout. I'm very tired of this topic descending into the proverbial "my medium sounds better than yours". Fortunately this forum, except for one individual that I can think of, respects the obvious fact that one size does not fit all.

GG

I didn't have to get up and play four records along with cleaning the stylus between records, etc. Having no breaks in listening to a piece like this makes a substantial difference in allowing one to experience all four movements as "one piece" of music and not a "piece" cut into quarters. Kinda like attending a live performance.
But in a live performance there are breaks between movements, where the conductor allows for audience coughs, etc.

Bernard,

With all due respect, you totally miss the point I was making.

This is exactly why I tend to avoid the analogue / digital conversation.

Gordon

Jeff, you hit the nail on the head. I've been restoring a 59 Triumph TR3 for the past couple years. It is in 1000 pieces and I'm not certain it'll ever be done. But your right, I get a lot of pleasure finding the "perfect" widget to complete a particular part I'm playing with at the time.

Gordon

Prior to my MCD500 & the discovery of XRCDs I was planning on getting back into vinyl in a much more serious. Now I'm thinking getting back into vinyl is not worth the cost of buying multiple formats of the same music and buying a much better TT. I just wish that there was a bigger selection of XRCDs. They may be costly but they play in everything and sound great! That's a tough combo to beat.

Dennis I agree with XRCD being limited. I 've found them to sound so sweet that it has caused me to expand my horizons on different types of music. Costly, yes, but well worth it to me.

Gordon

Bernard,

With all due respect, you totally miss the point I was making.

This is exactly why I tend to avoid the analogue / digital conversation.

Gordon
Granted I missed your point, but I was just making a simple observation, so I fail to understand why you seem to consider my post antagonistic.

Dennis I agree with XRCD being limited. I 've found them to sound so sweet that it has caused me to expand my horizons on different types of music. Costly, yes, but well worth it to me.

Gordon

XRCD - is it 44.1/16? does it sound better than sacd? I am assuming any cd player can play them?

Hi Timm,

One can play XRCD on redbook CDP's. No compatibility issues.

Having several XRCD's as well as a growing library of SACD's, I offer the following observations:

1) The music chosen for XRCD's are "cherry picked". That is to say that JVC will search out high quaility recordings / performances and then "reprocess" using their software technology.

2) SACD's are more ubiquitous. Some sound quite good, others not so. I have purchased numerous discs from PentaTone and Channel Classics. Both of these labels, IMHO, are outstanding and offer, within the classical realm, a broad selection.

3) Comparing a XRCD to a well recorded SACD (and everything else being equal), the nod goes to the latter. Less noise, blacker background, and a denser, more analogue type sound within the context of a high quality analogue rig / recording.

Having said the above, the XRCD's that I have are clearly better than a typical well recorded red book and offer a very satisfying musical experience.

I would certainly recommend the following XRCD's that I have purchased for consideration:

Dire Straits / Brothers in Arms

Nancy Bryan / Lay Me Down

Bill Evans Trio / Sunday at the Village Vanguard

Bill Evans Trio / at Shelly's Manne-Hole, Hollywood, California

Prokoviev - Stravinsky - Chicago Symphony / XR24026

Carmen Fantaisie etc - LSO / XR-0227-2.

Many other choices available but I have heard that JVC has discontinued production. So, if you want to explore this product, I'd recommend that you don't wait too long.

GG

If anyone wants to stick their musical toes into classical waters, the Prokoviev / Stravinsky CD is highly recommended. Lively, melodic, not "too far out there" regarding the music.

Last edited:
To add to GG's list of XRCDs:

Esther Ofarim: Esther

Laura Fygi: The Latin Touch

Teresa Perez: Oh! That Cello

I have one other, called "Audiophile Reference III", which I do not recommend. Eric Clapton's wonderful "Tears in Heaven" is ruined by the Oriental singer pronouncing the word "heaven" as "hea-vone".

Latest posts

Back