Should I even bother getting ML speakers?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hifiaudio2

Reaction score
My room is about 16'10"W x 27'L x ~11'H (at the front). I have a 133" 16:9 screen (116" w). Given that screen size, the most the ML speakers (I want to buy Summits) could be from the side walls would be ~3ft - probably to the center of the panel. Even that is pushing it a little as I have seating that is three wide and I wouldnt want the panel interfering with the side viewing angle to the screen, but I *think* I can get about three feet. Then I could get a max of about 3-4 feet out from the front wall. I do have a few GIK full freq. absorbers and 6 tri traps, so plenty of treatments, but do I have enough space from my front and side wall to do the Summit justice?

I would think so, but even if not, there are other ML speakers that will be up to the job, taking into consideration your space constraints. For example, the Vantage. BTW, the Summit has been discontinued, to replaced RSN by the Summit X. Until then, the Spire is the step down from the CLX.

Logan's are not as side wall picky as most speakers. You should be OK. Many hear run them 3 foot to the side walls. I run my CLS less than 2 foot !

Logan's are not as side wall picky as most speakers. You should be OK. Many hear run them 3 foot to the side walls. I run my CLS less than 2 foot !
Agree. I am at about 2ft here with mine.

1st reflection point acoustic treatments and also panels right next to the speakers on the side walls is also a possibility. Try and see if you like the difference as an improvement or not.

There are too many ML products to state a room would not be okay to purchase ML's for - especially if you like the sound signatures of ML's. Maybe a bathroom or coat closet might be too small, but then again :devil:

Thanks guys... I would be looking into used Summits, but thanks on the heads up on the discontinuation. I rarely but new on speakers since used usually means 1/2 off...

As a followup, I am considering using no center with the Summits and running it in phantom mode. I have been running Klipsch THX ultra speakers and was unhappy with the center being below my screen, so I am hoping the tall image of the summits could anchor the sound very well to the screen without a dedicated center?

i ran phantom with my CLS for a long time (bryston SP1.7 processor) and the center image was locked in tight. had a friend come over and he was convinced that the television sound was coming from the center even though there was no speaker there :)

As a followup, I am considering using no center with the Summits and running it in phantom mode. I have been running Klipsch THX ultra speakers and was unhappy with the center being below my screen, so I am hoping the tall image of the summits could anchor the sound very well to the screen without a dedicated center?

If this is for HT use, I would think again. For HT, the center channel is one of the most important--most dialog comes from it. I would recommend getting a center speaker that is voiced similarly to your L & R fronts. Fortunately, ML make some rather tasty center speakers too! (The Stage would probably be the best match for the Summits.)

hmm - one for, ones against.... :)

I have checked out the stage, etc... but I really fear that the sound will still be very localized below my screen...

hmm - one for, ones against.... :)

I have checked out the stage, etc... but I really fear that the sound will still be very localized below my screen...

I run my Summits about 2' from the side wall and 3' from the rear. The HT sound is to die for. Do get the Summits.

I have also run with the Stage center speaker and without (phantom center). Probably better with. But you will be fine without. Try it and you can always get a used Stage later.

The score is now two for. One against

My answer would be "yes" but on the proviso that you understand that you won't be getting the most they are capable of in that room.

Then again - not many of us are getting 100% of the capability of our speakers.

If the MLs have the qualities you like, then you certainly should hear those qualities in your room, hence my answer of "yes".

Personally, I think $ X on MLs and getting 80% from them will still yield better sound than spending the same $ X on something else and getting 90% from them. Of course, YMMV.

Thinking about surrounds, do the Frescos match well sonically? They are a completely different type of speaker, correct?

Is there another fairly cheap - used- option that is better?

Thinking about surrounds, do the Frescos match well sonically? They are a completely different type of speaker, correct?

Is there another fairly cheap - used- option that is better?

The Script i, is what I have and match up very well. I have heard they can be hard to find used. I am keeping mine:D

The distance from your side walls shouldn't pose a major problem. What I might be worried about is the distance between the speakers might be a bit too much?

There's only one way to find out I suppose, listen to them in that setup. Perhaps if you toe them in more the width may not matter as much. If you like the sound and listen to stereo at least half of the time, you could always consider getting a narrower screen; perhaps timing with a screen upgrade.

Chances are, you'd like them anyway without changing your screen.

If you're that worried about width and spacing, spend about $325 for a Behringer DEQ2496 for the left and right mains. PM me if you do for some wiring tips.

Does the Behrenger EQ do that much better of a job than Audyssey?

I would be driving these Logans for a while with the 150wpc Denon 5308. Its a top receiver but certainly not as good as a great dedicated amp. Will that be OK?

For the long term, I was considering a Wyred4sound amp based on the B&O ICE amps.

No idea 'cos I haven't used Audyssey, but the Behringer is very flexible and powerful - you'll need time and effort to set it up right though! Audyssey might be a bit more plug and play.

I've used a DCX2496 in the past and have Audyssey now. Absolutely no comparison, the Audyssey is waaay better.

Given that you have the 5308, I'd use it's MultEQ XT and run all six (or 8?) positions, varying the height of the mic on 2 of the positions within 2' of the prime listener (pos #1).

Also, follow the recommendations for calibrating with MultEQ, it's all about the process and mic spacing to get the best results.
Many people need to do it three or four times to get the hang of it.

Check out this thread on Audyssey AVR's we had recently: http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=8043

So if I keep the Denon and use Audyssey, are the 150wpc amps in the Denon enough power and quality to do justice to the Summits (and maybe a stage and script i's later?

I was under the impression that receivers need not apply in the realm of ML amplification, but then again the beefier amps is one reason I bought Denon's current top model...

Back