new tube...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The site has been around for a couple of months. Make sure to also check out their video of tube making in the Blackburn plants.

Are any of those the same as 12AX7?

I was looking at the EAT Tubes in the Music Direct catalog $225. (ea). Supposed to kick butt on NOS tubes. Rated lifespan of 10,000 hrs. Hype?

I want to get a pair of Really Good tubes (12AX7) for the phono section of my Cary SLP 98p preamp and good bang for the buck for the rest of the tubes...

Got Tubes?

Satch

Satch, the E813CC=ECC83=12AX7.

Thanks RUR,

What do you think about getting really good tubes (2) for the phono section of a Cary SLP 98p? Do you think they would be worth the extra $$$?

Satch

Are any of those the same as 12AX7?

I was looking at the EAT Tubes in the Music Direct catalog $225. (ea). Supposed to kick butt on NOS tubes. Rated lifespan of 10,000 hrs. Hype?

I want to get a pair of Really Good tubes (12AX7) for the phono section of my Cary SLP 98p preamp and good bang for the buck for the rest of the tubes...

Got Tubes?

Satch

IMO, RIP-OFF, any well built twin triode should last 10000 hrs, that is 5 hrs per day for five years or so. Not an unusual number in my experience.

Thanks RUR,

What do you think about getting really good tubes (2) for the phono section of a Cary SLP 98p? Do you think they would be worth the extra $$$?

Satch
Satch, it's extremely case-dependent. Some tubes make good changes, some less-good. Some changes are profound, some are subtle. The only way to find out what works best is by trial and error, I'm afraid.

/Ken

I just want to get the best tone out of the Cary preamp without paying for hype. I'd pay $1,000. to tube roll if that's what it takes...

I just want to get the best tone out of the Cary preamp without paying for hype. I'd pay $1,000. to tube roll if that's what it takes...
Satch, Kevin Deal @ Upscale Audio sells both Cary and NOS tubes. He's probably a good source of advice as regards which tubes would make good choices.

/Ken

E.A.T. tubes sound excellent. Their KT88 is the best sounding available I think. But the heaters used to go quickly. Lovely construction quality. Beautifully made. I hope they have sorted the heater lifespan by now, though.

The original ECC803S from Tesla Vrsovice is every bit as good as the legendary Telefunken ECC803S - I know I have owned both. I'd wager their preamp tubes are top notch sound wise. For E.A.T. read Tesla Vrsovice. Best European tube manufacturer... and aside from KT88 reliability issues, I think they are superb.

But try it and see is very true - you may not agree with what I hear. And it is always kit sensitive - a tube that works in one context may not in another. It's a fine tuning job that is not an (easy) option for SS users. And when you get fed up with one flavour, try another!

You should find you tend to settle on one particular tube configuration after a while, though.

Last edited:
Just talked to Kevin at Upscale Audio and ordered 2 Mullard Britain Military 12AX7 Platinum Grade tubes for $100. ea. and 2 Mullard Britain Military 12AU7 Platinum Grade for $40. ea. They will replace the stock Electro-Harmonix tubes on the Cary SLP-98P. They should get here next week. Then I'll replace the stock 6SN7's X 4 ... Any thoughts on the Mullards or what would be a good set of 6SN7's?

Satch

Latest posts

Back