New User, Not The Same Old Sad Story

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Best options for new transducer?

• Try to buy a used one and pray?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Never think you're smarter than a shipper again

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gritz_1

Reaction score
I finally found myself in a place where I could try some different speakers; I built (actually my 3rd set) of 12 foot transmission lines with Kef B139 woofers some 10 years ago. I've been using them as subwoofers, recently paired with a set of Magnepan MMGs. Found a set of ML CLS IIs and I was absolutely fascinated...had never seen them before! I had been seduced by Quads and owned some Janzen’s and some RTRs and was trying to find an older set of Maggies with electrostatic tweeters. I saw these ML things advertised for sale and started a flurry of research for a month, went and heard some newer ones and fell in love.
So I made my purchase, for a very fair price, and the speakers were shipped to me. They were packed well, but even so, both frames were cracked at the bottom. Now, being a man of the world, and pretty handy, I assessed the damaged, figured how much aggravation it would be to get the shipping company (who I won't name but starts with "U" and ends with "S") to do the same, give me some money and get the wood fixed.
My son and I hooked them up to a test system listened for a bit, pronounced them "SWEET", and said "Screw the paperwork! Some wood glue, a little DAP and we're good to go!"
And there you have it! Well, not quite; after a superb job of repairing the small frame problems, I finally had a chance to hook the CLS IIs up to my real system and let them fly, and I now realize, sadly and stupidly, the one of the transducers is bad. It appears it split at the top, and at loud volumes, my favorite hearing impaired setting, it whizzes and snorts and flaps.
Okay, maybe it is the same old sad story. Save some aggravation, pay a lot for a new transducer, which leads me to my question; does anyone know how much a new transducer is for a CLS II? And I feel doubly scared, knowing how picky ESL and electrostatics are, I will probably have to replace both to get some even sound.
A little sympathy...anyone...?

Attachments

• P1010401.JPG
    P1010401.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 185
  • P1010400.jpg
    P1010400.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 185
  • P1010402.jpg
    P1010402.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 181
Get new panels from ML. I know it sucks to spend $900.00 but once changed you have a speaker that is almost new. It may be hard to find a used set and you don’t know what you will get. From what I understand they are a snap to change and should last you 15 years. By the CLS speakers are very well regarded.

If you change the panels it will take about 100 hours to break in correctly.

just out of curiosity did you buy them from the edge in palitine I almost bought that pair.

gritz_1.
Welcome
Yes new panels are available and they are $890.00 USD for the pair.
Contact ML directly

Good luck! :D

Jeff:cool:

For another $200 you can also get the updated power supplies which will automatically turn off the power to the panels when your not listening.

Back