How has the recession affected your audio spending?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

• Total voters

sleepysurf

Reaction score
In these challenging economic times, I suspect most folks are cutting back on their audio related expenditures. However, with the recent closure of Tweeters, along with declining sales at other "Big Box" and boutique audio stores, bargains can be found. I have actually increased my audio purchases lately (bought AU24e speaker cables on A'gon, just ordered the XTZ Room Analyzer, building custom bookcases/diffusors for my family/listening room), and looking for more deals.

If you factor in music, I'm spending more. I've picked up a lot of vinyl lately. I did just pick up a PS3 for Blu-Ray and gaming, but that's in the family room AV system - not in the listening room.

I have been looking at some BAT VK-60 monoblocks lately, but those have all been used.

Well, I'm in process of having a converted garage turned into a listening room, the contractor starts Monday! I recently purchased my 1st pair of ML's, an Audiogon purchase, the Vista's will be here on Tuesday! I also picked up at Lexicon RT-20 on close out as well. I'm currently looking to pick up a decent pre-amp (used). So I guess I'm doing some early Christmas shopping!!!

The economy in Western Colorado is holding up well thanks to the energy industry. Grand Junction is currently ranked in the top 10 strongest real estate areas in the country.

I've been spending more, but for the most part it isn't really because of the recession, it just so happens that there is a recession during the time I want to spend money.

With that said, I wouldn't have bought my Spires if I had to pay full retail price, too much sticker shock for me.

Spending less due to recent layoff (excluding my Spire order, using funds I'd saved specifically for them). :-(

Had I not been laid off, my spending would probably increase: more records and several planned upgrades. Once I start receiving a regular paycheck again, the upgrade train will pull out of the station! :)

Audio related spending has almost completely stopped for the last 6 months. I've probably purchased only 3-4 cds during that time frame. Upgrades have been non-existent. There's too much uncertainty with the Michigan economy to get into any debt.

With less buyers it is a good time to buy, however if you are relying on selling first you probably will be dissapointed. I recently bought a Wadia 581 for a very good price but selling my 861 was a little frustrating I had to let it go for about $500 less than I expected.

With less buyers it is a good time to buy, however if you are relying on selling first you probably will be dissapointed.
It's a mixed bag. I listed my CD transport, DAC, and digital cable on Audiogon, expecting that the only thing that would sell would be the cable, because of all the music servers being used. Instead, I sold the transport and DAC, and have not had any offers on the cable, even thought I also listed it here.

Apart from the new CDP I got as a gift from my wife, my spending is down on equipment, but I have bought a few new CDs, but only on deals on Amazon.

More probably. So far this year new Ascent panels (at least, I think it was this year), near mint Scott 350 tuner (low on sensitivity, high on SQ - best I have heard a tuner sound in my system after trying a fair few), Transfiguration Orpheus (stella purchase incredible device), and Gyrodec upgrades (also stella - the Orpheus loves the thicker platter and other upgrades in terms of bass response and overall balance and clarity).

Happier now with my system than I have ever been. I still think the Ascent with the Descent is an absolutely great combo, even after hearing the Summit and Spires. And what I have feeding them is really well tuned for the Ascents, sonically. Killer amps, killer source components, killer system, I reckon. Not heard much better it.

It's taken many years to get something this good, and much experience of listening to all sorts of different kit over the years.

The only way forward is some CLXs and a bigger dedicated room. That isn't going to happen any time soon.

Last edited:
I think "stella" means star, whereas "stellar" means consisting of, or related to, stars.

Strictly, stella might be regarded as Latin, he said, trying to blag his way out of it:D Get me a politician, quick:)!

I think "stella" means star, whereas "stellar" means consisting of, or related to, stars.

Strictly, stella might be regarded as Latin, he said, trying to blag his way out of it:D Get me a politician, quick:)!
According to oxford.com, both mean star. I'm a Cambridge man, myself ("O" and "A" Levels).

The definitions I gave came off the web - just look virtually anything up and get mildy differing results in most cases. Language can be pretty ambiguous and it's definition is constantly changing...:devil:

But the Oxford dictionary is probably regarded in the highest esteem. At least it is here:)!

Enough of this posting - time for a beer!:cheers:

Last edited:
According to Merriam Webster stella is a noun and stellar is an adjective. Sounds right to me...

Yeah, but that source also says that colour is spelt "color". :)

Personally, I don't trust an English dictionary that doesn't have the word "English" in its title. The OED is, for me, the canonical dictionary of the English language.

Tweeter's swan song has been music to my ears. Last year they disco'd a pair of floor model Montages, $198 each. Those are mine now. Three weeks ago I bought a demo NAD cd player and a demo NAD receiver. Fifty bucks a pop. I also got a single, 15 foot AudioQuest type 4 cable for $5. I cut it in half.

Back