new turntable impressions

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FISH_MAN

Reaction score
as I posted earlier I have recently purchased a Pro-Ject Xpression III Turntable. after careful setup I played the first song from U2's The Joshua Tree 180gram- Where the Streets Have No Name . the first thing I noticed was the mellow detail and depth of the music. the bass was controlled and detailed
my father who was also over commented on the same then we did A B comparisons to the same albums on cd the difference was apparent . now this form of music reproduction is not without its drawbacks but I think if you own a set of martin logans as well as the other types of high quality equipment I think you owe it to yourself to give some vinyl a try the difference is so much more musical than a cd and none fatiguing the sound stage is presented in a much more open and laid back setting. the only reason I post this is because for many years I was dead against it (without even trying it for myself ) and thought the only people who liked it where elitist audiophiles who strive to be different but there is much more to this than that I will eat my words and say I was wrong.like I said these are just my first impressions that I thought I would share. I have about 8 disc's
and imagine that number to grow exponentially.

Last edited:
Very happy to hear that you are enjoying it. You've just opened a whole new chapter in your musical journey. Enjoy the ride!

Poor guy, now you'll be spending weekends crawling around yard and estate sales, digging through thrift store bins and in general getting dirty to feed your new toy. Enjoy it!:music:

Make sure you buy a Shure Stylus Force Gauge.

If you need any more help with spending your money, just ask ! :ROFL:

I have about 8 disc's .

Fish, Congrats on your new found love !! But as Bernard, Robert, Rich, Tim and myself already knew.........Analog = Heaven !

FWIW, as you become more involved with vinyl you will find yourself seeking a more satisfying 'digital' domain in which to compliment it, at least I did. Then you will understand how and why those of us who embrace both formats can do so...'with open arms and EARS' !!

now......regarding the quote from above....."you have about 8 Lp's" !! not disc's, that's digital talk ! LOL !!

Record Show

Record show in Hillside this weekend:rocker:

Many, Many great deals waiting there for you.

I can't go I will be out of town, but will certainly make the next one

Doug - out

Poor guy, now you'll be spending weekends crawling around yard and estate sales, digging through thrift store bins and in general getting dirty to feed your new toy. Enjoy it!:music:

I have found that some of the used is not really used at all and for what great prices.

I am shure to need all of your knowledge to help me empty my wallet. shall we talk cartridge???
voices,acoustic guitars and wind instruments as well as tight bass are the most important things too me right now I have a $55 dollar Sumiko Oyster Cartridge which I am told is a great sounding entry level cartridge.i would be willing to upgrade substantially in the future what do you all think?

Last edited:
Fish, to be honest I was a bit worried that deck wouldn't be enough to impress - but it sounds like it is a good one, from what you say.

You can spend a lot more and it just gets better and better and better, to the point where (at least for me) you get genuinely awestruck that such an old medium can turn in such great results. If you ever get into the Michell/ClearAudio/VPI/Basis league you will undertsand what I am saying!

I'd toss the Sumiko as you say - it will suffer from cheap cart blues - i.e. inability to unravel complex passages clearly etc. Good ones are:

Sumiko Blue Point Special
Denon DL110 (I used to own one - not bad but I'd go a bit better) and 103.
Audio Technica OC9 - I'd highly recommend this - I had one on dem many years ago and bought the OC30 which is one better. The OC9 is very good, though. And it's price now means it is an extreme bargain - much cheaper relatively than it was.

Don't spent mega bucks on a cart unless you intend to upgrade the rest of the deck quickly - the arm and deck won't be able to extract the best from it. Don't forget you will need an MC stage for moving coil cartridges.

Oh yeah - I have the Shure styles force gauge Bernard recommends - and it is very good. I prefer it to the digital one I have - I reckon the Shure is more accurate!

Good luck - and happy listening.

Last edited:
I'd like to add another candidate to the Cartridge list....Grado Wood Sonata, available in both a high output (5mv) and low output (.05mv) versions the low output version is dubbed the Statement Sonata. Go for the low output for slightly better detail if your preamp supports it. At $500 MSRP it is a bargain and a half.

Last edited:
Some of those LP's may be dirty as well, so until you can afford to buy something like a VPI record cleaner, try to find a store that offers a record cleaning service. As an example, there is one in town here that charges $1 per LP.

You should also consider buying a Zerodust Onzow stylus cleaner, available from Acoustic Sounds for $69.

Congrats on the turntable. I'm using an older model of what is currently the Grado Gold on my Project Debut table and it is quite nice.

I'd like to add another candidate to the Cartridge list....Grado Wood Sonata, available in both a high output (5mv) and low output (.05mv) versions the low output version is dubbed the Statement Sonata. Go for the low output for slightly better detail if your preamp supports it. At $500 MSRP it is a bargain and a half.

I'd second the Grado recommendation. Very musical cartridge for the money.

Attachments

• phonopreamp.jpg
    phonopreamp.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 88
I have heard the Grado is musical but lacks some detail is this true ?

Benz Micro "Ace" HO cartridge, at last check these were $550.00 and worth every penny. Detailed (more than the Grado IMO) yet with realistic warmth and good bass definition. I am a fan of the Benz line and will be upgrading my MO "Ace" in the near future.

Benz Micro "Ace" HO cartridge. I am a fan of the Benz line.

I concur, one of the better sub 1k cartridges on the market.

Fish, my previous TT was a Music Hall mmF-9 (I believe same or similar arm that's on your tt) and I was using with it the Benz Micro "Ace" HO. A very nice marriage (cart and arm compliance) for sure.

Latest posts

Back