Vantage -> Spire: What to expect?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichTeer

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm currently evaluating a pair Vantages, with an intent on buying a pair of Spires. To those of you who have owned (or have had much experience with) both, what improvments can I expect to hear when replacing the Vantages with the Spires? Is it worth the extra ~$3K?

Whether it's worth it to you is relative...

The Spire is cleaner through the midrange, will play deeper because of the 10" woofer and louder because of more panel area.

Depends on your room and rest of system. If you haven't done anything to treat your room, I'd say you'd probably get more music out of the Vantages in a good room than the Spires in an untreated room....

Just a thought.

The Spire is cleaner through the midrange, will play deeper because of the 10" woofer and louder because of more panel area.

Sounds good (I was hoping you'd chime in, Jeff)! Good point about the relative worth.

Depends on your room and rest of system. If you haven't done anything to treat your room, I'd say you'd probably get more music out of the Vantages in a good room than the Spires in an untreated room....

Just a thought.

No room treatments yet, but I definately plan to get some. I'm thinking of some bass traps in the front and rear corners, something at the first reflection points, and maybe something behind the speakers (on the front wall).

Many thanks for replying, and I'm eagerly awaiting your Spire review! In the next issue of Tone Audio, hopefully?

Just a thought.
Man what a great statement. Room treatment is key.
Having just heard the Spires yesterday right next to the CLX I say they are DAMN good. They are very detailed in the mid range with a deep stage.

I'll take a stab a this. I initally purchased the Vantage in February 2008 as a primer on ML. I had never owned a pair prior. Heard them, but could never afford them. Folks here were very helpful in teaching me how to get the most out of them. Positioning, room treatment, tilt and toe were my lessons. I added a sub because I thought the bottom was a bit thin in my room even with treatments. I was very pleased with the Vantage. The mids and highs were very close to what I was looking for. There was some detail that was hinted at but remained in the background, whispering to get out. I tried several sets of wires and ICs and settled on the Mapleshades as recommended by Gordon Gray. If the Vantage was the top of the line, I would have remained a happy camper.

I had heard the Vantage and the Summit side by side. I knew I wanted the Summit detail and presentation. I was prepared to upgrade to the Summit until I heard about the Spire. Same size panel and new cross over seemed to me to be cutting edge without the big jump in price to Summit. The loss of the second woofer did not concern me since I had the nice sub. I could not find anyplace to listen to the Spire without an expensive trip. There is not a lot of info on the Spire yet and bought them on somewhat blind faith. I've had the Spire for a bit over a month now and have not been disappointed. Some tweaking of positioning locked the speakers onto the room. The detail and stage is just stunning. The sub is collecting dust right now and it may be moved to the HT. Some may prefer that added umph down in sub land but I do not feel it is necessary for me. The bass is very defined and multi note capable. A kick drum sounds and feels like a kick drum. ML has not fixed that faintly audible woofer rumble, buzz or whatever you want to call it. It is not noticeable while playing music even at soft levels.

I'd like to say it was worth the cost to me. To you? Only you can make that call. 3K in room treatments, wires and other tweaks could make the Vantage a tough speaker to beat. On the other hand, 3K in room treatments, wires and the Spire is top notch in my book.

Gordon

I have owned vista > vantage > spire I had a little buyers remorse after ordering the spires as I did so on blind faith whithout hearing them. after about 30 seconds in my home the difference was aparent and any buyers remorse was washed away. they are a more smotther deeper version
of the vantage they look way more impresive in reall life this is something
I think martin logan downplays on there website (not intentianal)you really can not get a feel for the sheer difference in there models the way the pics are set up.

I'd like to say it was worth the cost to me. To you? Only you can make that call. 3K in room treatments, wires and other tweaks could make the Vantage a tough speaker to beat. On the other hand, 3K in room treatments, wires and the Spire is top notch in my book.

The latter (with a slightly bigger budget--I need a 6m long pre -> poweramp interconnect, and I intend to use Nordost Frey) is my intended destination. Given that whatever speaker I buy now won't be upgraded for a long time (changes in circumstances notwithstanding, in which case a pair of CLXes will be mine!), I feel happier now about stretching the budget this time around to accommodate the Spires. :music:

Many thanks for your input everyone! Others, feel free to chime in.

So, when are you going to sell those Vantage? You live in Canada as I do!!!!;)

So, when are you going to sell those Vantage? You live in Canada as I do!!!!;)

Alas, they're not mine to sell! I'm in the market for a pair of speakers to replace my Spendor SP1 Mk 2Es, and a pair of MLs is currently top of my list. My local dealer (Hifi Attic in Vernon) got a pair of Vantages in, so I managed to borrow them for a week or so. Not to put a too fine a point on it, but I love them! :music:

My plan was that if I liked the Vantages, the Spires would be even better, so I'd stretch the budget to get them. I can afford the Vantages now, but the message that I'm hearing is that I'd be well advised to exercise a little restraint and wait a couple of months and go for the Spires. Hey, they'll make a great Xmas present to myself!

Back