So how many of you guys have a major analog setup anyway?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonepub

Reaction score
After seeing a few recent posts lately, how many of you would say you still have a substantial record collection, a decent turntable and listen to vinyl a lot?

Just curious as there is so much stuff being released on vinyl lately, it does seem to be stronger than ever as a format....

Certainly not like the old days, but at least strong enough that everyone continues to press it in small numbers.

Your thoughts?

After seeing a few recent posts lately, how many of you would say you still have a substantial record collection, a decent turntable and listen to vinyl a lot?

whaddya mean 'still'?

Just curious as there is so much stuff being released on vinyl lately, it does seem to be stronger than ever as a format....

it's gotten surprisingly strong, lately thanks to the interest of many young people, but it has a looong way to go before it hits the 'stronger than ever' mark.

Certainly not like the old days,

just so we can both be on the 'same page' here, would you kindly put a date on the 'old days' :D

but at least strong enough that everyone continues to press it in small numbers.

at last count, there were only three (give or take one) pressing plants in the US. and they're cranking out thousands of LP's. maybe you meant small orders ?

In fact, many of you might be quite surprised to note the number of LP's in CC's current online catalog: http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/Search.do?c=1&searchType=user&keyword=LP&searchSection=All

Now, for those who were actually there in the 'old days', off the top of your head (i.e. NO RESEARCH!) in ten words or less, what was the single biggest factor that caused the explosion of small independent record labels starting in the 50's? labels like Vanguard, Folkways, Nonesuch, Turnabout, Dot, etc.

and if you're certain of your answer :bowdown: tell us the backstory

Jeff-

Is your question limited to just vinyl (you asked "So how many of you guys have a major analog setup anyway? ") ?

Not only are records mainstream media in many of the audiophile setups I've seen locally, but tape is starting to make a comeback.

The store where I pick up most of my (used) vinyl just purchased an adjacent building in an effort to increase floor space. Owner tells me last year was his best in quite some time.

Tj

Now, for those who were actually there in the 'old days', off the top of your head (i.e. NO RESEARCH!) in ten words or less, what was the single biggest factor that caused the explosion of small independent record labels starting in the 50's? labels like Vanguard, Folkways, Nonesuch, Turnabout, Dot, etc.

and if you're certain of your answer :bowdown: tell us the backstory
Easy one - MUSIC ! :p

I have about 500 LPs, which I play on a VPI HW19 MK IV equipped with a PLC, JMW Arm and Koetsu Rosewood cartridge. I estimate that the TT/Arm/Koetsu cost me upwards of $6,000, which I consider "decent". I also have a VPI HW 16.5 record cleaner (true sign of a vinylphile).

Of course, my LP collection is trivial compared to that of the august gentleman called MiTT. :bowdown:

I have 4000 records which I play on a VPI HW 19Mk4, SDS, Graham 2.2, Koetsu Rosewood Sig, ARC PH5 rig. Is this considered substantial and decent?

After I hooked up the Scheu Analog Cello turntable to my Vistas, Depth i system I started ordering albums from Elusive Disk, Music Direct and Acoustic Sounds. I've found so many great titles that have been remastered and artists that I'd completely forgotten. Blues, Jazz and Classic Rock.

I started my first collection when I was around 7-8 years old, not long after seeing the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan Show... Left what became of that collection with a friend out in California when I went to work overseas in the mid 80's.

Now I listen to 99 percent albums even though I have around 500 great CDs

My new album collection is starting to look a lot like my old album collection:)

Satch

Easy one - MUSIC ! :p
Sorry, no
icon_thumbsdown.gif
:D

Not me - sorry. I've got an old Dual 505 and about 100 or so records that rarely get played. I enjoy them for what they are, but as for sound quality - sorry, won't hold a candle to my digital setup!

I'm on the verge of having a complete vinyl rig. I have a tube preamp that I really like and it came with supposedly a very good tube phone stage so I would like to put it to good use. I also have a nice solid stable audio rack that work very for a turntable.

I've kept nearly all my albums since the late 70's and managed to build upon that collection over the year to include very recent new releases. My last purchase was at Best Buy of all places. So if Best Buy is selling vinyl in their brick and mortar stores then that is a good indicator of an upsurge for the vinyl market.

All I need now is turntable that meets my specs and budget and I'll be set. However, I'll need to be patient since this item needs to work it's way to a higher ranking on my priority list or until I can sell an additional audio component I'm nut using. Anyone want to trade a turntable for a pair of powerful mono amps?

[/QUOTE] Now, for those who were actually there in the 'old days', off the top of your head (i.e. NO RESEARCH!) in ten words or less, what was the single biggest factor that caused the explosion of small independent record labels starting in the 50's? labels like Vanguard, Folkways, Nonesuch, Turnabout, Dot, etc.

and if you're certain of your answer :bowdown: tell us the backstory[/QUOTE]

The technological marvel of music being recorded in stereophonic. And note: I wasn't there in the 50's.

Last edited:
A big difference with the new surge in vinyl as compared to the release of SACD is that many new releases of vinyl is actually new music. Unlike what they did with SACD and only release old recordings that had already proven itself in platinum sales. Not so with the new vinyl.

What puzzles me though is that turntables are still very hard to find in any audio/video store I've been in lately.

answer below

The technological marvel of music being recorded in stereophonic. And note: I wasn't there in the 50's.
No. That's not it either. Also, 'stereo' was available on reel-to-reel tape for a few years before there were stereophonic LP's.

Until recently I thought my having 'come of age' in the mid fifties was such a personal tragedy (as in, 'boring') Now, all I can remember is peace, open space, clean air and water, and a world not choking with overpopulation and eternal debt. I truly miss some parts of that experience, and hope in the near future (if the new collider yields its secrets) that young people will be able to teleport themselves to the fifties. Perhaps for spring break :eek:

Independent record companies began flourishing around the fifties, because the introduction of the 33.3 rpm LP left a lot of idle stampers at the three major studios: RCA, Columbia, Capitol. To create cash flow, these record plants contracted to press product for small recording companies that otherwise couldn't afford to make their own records. It became a win-win situation. The next serendipitous thing to happen was low cost FM radio, which provided exposure for all the new albums.

Last edited:
On one of the audio sites to which I subscribe, I saw today a turntable with an attached iPod docking station, so you can transfer vinyl directly to iPod. It sells for $450 I think. Can't remember the mfr.

Vinyl for ever!

I have about 1400 albums that I listen to on my Forsell Air Reference/Lyra Parnassus front end (yes, that's a significant investment!). I do have a CD player and about 100 CDs, but I rarely listen to them. I'd say 99.9% of my music listening is sourced from vinyl. :cool:

I regularly purchase new LPs from Acoustic Sounds (Elusive Disc too, sometimes), and my musical tastes are slowly expanding. I used to despise jazz, but the two albums I have (A Charlie Brown Xmas and Jazz Impressions of Black Orpheous, both by Vince Guilardi) have encouraged me to explore this genre more. I think something from John Coltrane and Miles Davis will be next.

No. That's not it either. Also, 'stereo' was available on reel-to-reel tape for a few years before there were stereophonic LP's.
Long live stereo!
...The concept of stereo sound recording and playback was invented by Alan Dower Blumlein more than 70 years ago and, as a result of his genius, the world has enjoyed the reproduction of musical events in a domestic setting with a realism never previously imagined. Blumlein's invention was much more than simply two channels of sound...

smallstereo_grey.jpgLink: http://www.tnt-audio.com/topics/realstereo_e.html

Given my current setup one would think I prefer multi channel digital. Actually I had a A77 Revox way back when and have never really been able to match the excitement (for lack of a better word) that came out of that stereo analog device. Alas very few recordings were released at 15ips. I used to lug it to friends and record their stuff.

The only issue I have ever had with analog is wear. I played my tapes till they were stretched and I didn't always store them back end in so when the tape got thin bleed through would occur. And maintenance... we won't go there. Records were the same story. I loved records but I couldn't afford a really good player (I inherited the A77) so I was burning out the records as I played them. When CD's came along I saw in them that I could buy and play all I wanted and knew that when the system got better they would not have lost anything. There was disappointment for a while but I'm pretty happy now. The first CD I ever bought was Dark Side of The Moon - Pink Floyd. I still have it and it sounds better today than the day I bought it.

:rocker:

Last edited:
I regularly purchase new LPs from Acoustic Sounds (Elusive Disc too, sometimes), and my musical tastes are slowly expanding. I used to despise jazz, but the two albums I have (A Charlie Brown Xmas and Jazz Impressions of Black Orpheous, both by Vince Guilardi) have encouraged me to explore this genre more. I think something from John Coltrane and Miles Davis will be next.
While you are at it, buy this album; you will not regret it. It is a great introduction to Brazilian jazz, and is a classic. You may even be able to find it in vinyl.

Attachments

• getz.jpg
    getz.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 140
I have around 500 LPs, a Michell Gyrodec that is around 17-18 years old, a Moerch DP6 (replaced a Rega RB300 - major upgrade sonically) that's around 10 years old, a Trichord Delphini phono stage (3-4 years old) and a Transfiguration Orpheus, recently acquired. I bought the Gyrodec new after getting hold of some Wimbledon Men's final tickets, and flogging them for a lot more than face value.

With my MF TriVista out of action, I'm using a £200 Teac CD player as a backup - believe me - it ISN'T good!

So this past week I have been spinning a lot of vinyl. The Orpheus must be getting close to what can be retrieved off a disc. I am pretty staggered by it, to be honest. It definately produces a sound that is more highly resolved that digital - there's a wealth more detail in the playback of well produced discs. Even "Never Mind The Bollocks - Here's The Sex Pistols" had my tongue dropping out last night - I have never heard it sound so good. Bought around the time of it's release, it has been played many, many times over the years. After a few beers, admitedly, but it just blew me away! The original pressing, at least, was a very, very well produced disc.

Hell, with discs produced from digital sources, it even naturally oversamples to "continuous" resolution - beat that, CD player!

But it comes at a price of noise, clicks, pops etc - all the usual vinyl moans and groans...

There's life in the old girl yet... but you have to source a good deck etc. It needn't cost a lot if you go for some old classic components on the 2nd hand market.

And let's face it - if you have the $$$, a top end Clearaudio or Transrotor TT are just amazing machines to behold. Again, beat that, CD player - though there are some wacky designs, mostly emulating TTs...:D

Last edited:
Bernard,

Good call on the Getz / Gilberto album. I picked up a 200 gram (Quiex SV-P hand made) version and love it. Great version of "The Girl from Impanema". Shopping for new remastered vinyl has expanded my taste for jazz and golden Blues nuggets like Skip James "Today" As far as Classic Rock, I'm looking for a good copy of Nils Lofgren "Cry Tough"... Anybody?

Satch

Just to add 2 cents:

Turntables: SME 10 with SME V tonearm
VPI HW 19 IV with Graham 2.2

Phono pre: ARC PH7

Cartidges: Koetsu Sky Blue
Dorian mono
Helikon
Shelter 90x

And I much prefer listening to the above rather than my Esoteric DV50s, although that is not bad in its own right.

Latest posts

Back