Need a new MC phono cartridge - suggestions?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

User211

Reaction score
I have just dumped by Ortofon MC5000 on ebay UK... because the tip came off it. It is a very good cartridge, but ultimately it's output was too low for my Trichord Delphini & Never Connected PSU.

I used to own a Audio Technica OC30 - that was probably the best cartridge I have ever owned. Unfortunately, they have stopped making it.

The AT OC9 has become incredibly cheap but has been changed since I last heard it. There is also an AT33 35th Anniversary that can be had from Japan - but while it seems to be prefered on the web, the suspension will have been designed for hot climates i.e. Japan - it is a Japanese only model.

I am tempted to go for an OC9 - but I am worried it won't quite be good enough - the OC9 memories I have are from a long time ago, and after a demo I went for the OC30 without listening to it. Good decision!

Really I want another OC30, but since that is impossible, anyone have any suggestions? I want an output of at least 0.3mV preferably a bit more...

Price up to a max of £750 or $1500... anyone who just happens to have a NOS OC30 - lemme know!:)

BYW: I do not want another Ortofon. I was going to buy a Urushi, but I have decided not to spend so much...

This might be a short lived thread, I have just e-mailed a Japanese AT dealer - it looks as though it might have been re-released in Japan... not sure about the suspension, though...

Last edited:
Might be worth you checking out the Sumiko Blue Point Special. Entry level Koetsu or Lyra might be within budget too.

I'm currently using a Lyra Parnassus and my old AT OC10 (I think) is my spare.

Might be worth you checking out the Sumiko Blue Point Special. Entry level Koetsu or Lyra might be within budget too.

I'm currently using a Lyra Parnassus and my old AT OC10 (I think) is my spare.

I was looking an the Lyra Dorian earlier... cos it's cheap. What do you think of your Parnassus?

Another option is this: the Expert Styles Company get Denon DL103s and put sapphire cantilevers on them. It sells for around £285, and the sales pitch was "a gentlemen bought one recently and thought it was as good as his Koetsu". Hm - is that REALLY true, I wonder.

I ordered one, though - but there is a five week waiting list... and I need a cartridge quickly - the worst of the Denon and whatever I buy will be the backup...

The Blue Point is cool but the exposed stylus scares me on some of these designs (the Dorian, too) - cueing up after a bottle of wine could be expensive!

Last edited:
I used to have an entry-level Koetsu (the Black), and it was a great cartridge. I think you can get it for $1,500.

I now have a Koetsu Rosewood....check my avatar! Love the Koetsu sound !!

I used to have an entry-level Koetsu (the Black), and it was a great cartridge. I think you can get it for $1,500.

I now have a Koetsu Rosewood....check my avatar! Love the Koetsu sound !!

Difficult - if I bought a Black, I'd spend all my time wondering what a Rosewood would sound like...:D

you gotta shop around

Difficult - if I bought a Black, I'd spend all my time wondering what a Rosewood would sound like...:D
The Koetsu Blacks are made for them but not by them. Within your budget ($1500) you could get a Shelter 7000 (.5mV) a Benz Micro SLR, or a Transfiguration Axia or even the Phoenix (.4mV and an extra $100 ;-) all of which I think outclass the AT or the Ortofon models you're considering.

The Koetsu Blacks are made for them but not by them. Within your budget ($1500) you could get a Shelter 7000 (.5mV) a Benz Micro SLR, or a Transfiguration Axia or even the Phoenix (.4mV and an extra $100 ;-) all of which I think outclass the AT or the Ortofon models you're considering.

I am NOT considering an Ortofon... see above.

Anyway, the problem is you can't really demo them easily - have you actually heard any of the cartidges you mention, Neil? If so, which are your favourites?

I was looking an the Lyra Dorian earlier... cos it's cheap. What do you think of your Parnassus?

I love it, but it's perhaps a little bit light on the bass. Certainly leagues ahead of the AT MC it replaced! I bought it about 12 years ago from Reading Hifi, in Berkshire (I lived in the UK before moving to Canada), so it's slowly moving up my "upgrade" list.

Another option is this: the Expert Styles Company get Denon DL103s and put sapphire cantilevers on them. It sells for around £285, and the sales pitch was "a gentlemen bought one recently and thought it was as good as his Koetsu". Hm - is that REALLY true, I wonder.

I'd be very surprised if a Denon cartridge was comparable to a Koetsu!

The Blue Point is cool but the exposed stylus scares me on some of these designs (the Dorian, too) - cueing up after a bottle of wine could be expensive!

Very true! Not a worry for me, though, 'cause I don't drink. :)

I am NOT considering an Ortofon... see above. Anyway, the problem is you can't really demo them easily - have you actually heard any of the cartidges you mention, Neil? If so, which are your favourites?
Oh sorry -- I actually did read it, I guess I had AT on the brain, sorry ;-) I am familiar (have heard, not owned) the Benzes although I don't know the SLR, must be a new model. If you liked the Ortofon, you might like the Benz, see if you can find somewhere to hear one, maybe even a friend of a friend. Not familiar with Shelter -- I just know where you can get a good price. Very familiar with Trannies as I own a Temper W and love it -- out of your price range but the Phoenix uses the same novel ring-magnet motor I believe. If you want to survey specs and msrp's go to www.cartridgedb.com and type in a manufacturer.

Actually the Ortofon was OK - it didn't do anything wrong, really - that was it's major strength. But it did need more step-up than I could give it with the TriChord... and the TriChord has more gain than a lot of MC stages. It NEEDS a step-up transformer AND an MM input, I think. In the end, better to get a higher output MC than keep the Ortofon. Apparently the wait for a re-tip is months...

Will "read up" on your suggestions tomorrow.

Well for half of your budget, that way you have $$ left over for more Lp's, I can give a thumbs up for the VPI / Dynavector 20XM/H......it's 1.0 mv output MC that while not the last word in all things analog it is no slouch either.

FWIW, I do not know the compliance matching #'s of your arm but the "Dyna" has a compliance of 12x10 cm/dyne, tracks wonderfully @ 1.8 - 2.0 grams

I have owned a Shelter 501MkII overall it was a very good cartridge but did not match well with the Nottingham Hyperspace I was running it on. I also heard the Dorian which is a very nice cartridge also but a little lean for my tastes. I also like the Dynavector cartridges you may and try to hear one of their offerings. I also own a Bluepoint special and it is not as good as the Shelters or the Lyra or Dynavector.
JMHO

Last edited:
Easy solution - buy a Rosewood !!! :D

i gotta second Bernard, i just love my Rosewood. i'm just unable to play it as i'm using a NAD PP2 phono head amp and it's "quality" makes me choke. but my regular phone head amp is going to the shop tomorrow and should be back in a couple of weeks.

but i'm still looking for a good MC for my upstairs secondary system for my LP12/Ittok combo. should be too expensive, i have the Rosewood for that :)

Hm there is no AT OC30 re-release:

"Thank you for your email. Well, re-release item is at-oc9 which was released before oc30 and same series of oc family, the name is at-oc9ml2. However this model is limited only 500 peaces, very rare. price is GBP270 including shipping cost. If you would like to have it hurry up!It will soon run out. Please check it out below.
http://ichinose.tblog.jp/?day=20080507
If you are ok, please reply us asap.

Best Regards
Taku"

Er - no thanks - I have a Best Offer from a bloke in the UK of £210 for a new OC9 - that is a TREMENDOUS bargain for that cart - it cost way more than that many years ago!!!!

Koetsu prices:

Dear Sir,
Koetsu Coralstone Platinum at US$5,800-
Koetsu Tigereye Platinum at US$5,800-
Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum at US$4,410-
Koetsu Rosewood Signature at US$2,800-
Koetsu Urushi Vermillion (Red) at US$3,180-
Koetsu Urushi Wajima (Gold) at US$3,180-
Koetsu Urushi Tsugaru (Black) at US$3,180-
Koetsu Rosewood Standard at US$2,000-
Koetsu Black at US$1,340-

One of each then!:D

I must admit I think I am tempted to go for the Rosewood and cancel the Denon order... at least I have heard the Koetsu on a number of occasions, and I know I like it. It also dishes out a healthy 0.6mV... nice.

But what if the Expert Styles Co is right about their upgraded Denon DL 103? It is stretching the limits of belief - but it IS possible it is as good, I suppose... GOD this is hard!!!

Last edited:
The Shelter 7000 is quite nice. A touch on the warm side, but not as much as say the 501 was.

Just been looking at the Shelter 7000, but it is hard to get in the UK and costs £1500 or $3000 - though the dollar is getting "more valuable" at the moment. Too much wonga!

The Trans Axia is £900 here... according to Hi-Fi World it is nearly as good as the Spirit.

I think I MIGHT wait for the Denon, and IF it is no good, ebay it, and go for the K Rosewood. When I get it, I will report on it... if it is no good, believe me I will know very quickly!!! If it is excellent, then you will all know where to go for a mega bargain...

Expert Stylus is a highly rated company... I find it hard to believe they would sell me a lie, but stranger things have happened. Try the cheapskate solution first, then bite the bullet if it doesn't work out is what I am saying I guess.

Last edited:
You have been bitten by the Koetsu bug. The only way to cure it is to go for the Rosewood. :devil:

It is wonderful spending someone else's money. :devil:

You have been bitten by the Koetsu bug. The only way to cure it is to go for the Rosewood. :devil:

It is wonderful spending someone else's money. :devil:

:devil:STOP IT BERNARD!!!:devil: If your not careful I'll pretend I went for the Urushi, with a story about how bad the Rosewood is in comparison:D

:devil:STOP IT BERNARD!!!:devil: If your not careful I'll pretend I went for the Urushi, with a story about how bad the Rosewood is in comparison:D
Okay, I'll stop ! I don't want to have wet dreams about the Urushi. :eek:

But please do let us know what you decide to buy.

Latest posts

Back