10 year old wants a turntable!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been thinking more about this article - it's very true. I don't quite know why though - I certainly don't appreciate that vinyl sounds better than digital, particularly a SACD on my Marantz 8300. But for some other reason, you can get more enjoyment from music on it.

I'm connecting up my Dual 505 today for an experiment.

I've been thinking more about this article - it's very true. I don't quite know why though - I certainly don't appreciate that vinyl sounds better than digital, particularly a SACD on my Marantz 8300. But for some other reason, you can get more enjoyment from music on it. I'm connecting up my Dual 505 today for an experiment.
Hear, hear! :rocker: Pun intended!
And I don't think anyone quite knows why :confused:

Very interesting, especially for a mainstream article like NYT......

Yes, but it's a shame they had to put the usual crap about ticks and pops in there. Records that are cared for and played on half decent gear don't suffer from those maladies (manufacturing deffects notwithstanding). I've got records 20 years old who's surfaces are as quiet today as the day I got them. Of course, I actually look after my records...

Yes, but it's a shame they had to put the usual crap about ticks and pops in there. Records that are cared for and played on half decent gear don't suffer from those maladies (manufacturing deffects notwithstanding). I've got records 20 years old who's surfaces are as quiet today as the day I got them. Of course, I actually look after my records...

Very true...

Most of these articles that have been written by the mainstream press sound the same. Yada yada, they all like the "imperfections" of the LP and think the ticks and pops are really cool, etc. Everyone they talk to about this always has a crap turntable too.

I've yet to see the mainstream press write an article about someone with a decent table, that just happens to appreciate the difference of analog. They always make it sound like a nostalgia thing...

I talked to a friend who is an editor at the Arizona Republic. He said that they just had a meeting a week or two ago to discuss upcoming features and when they decided they were a couple of articles short, someone in the crowd, said "why don't we do a story on turntables, that's hot!"

When he asked if anyone in the room had a turntable, they all said no.

Immortal?

You know that, and I know that, but the youngsters don't know that; so what? Right now it wouldn't matter to them if they did; because most of them can't afford high end equipment anyway, not even used! But guess who'll be grabbing up your fancy TT and record cleaning machine at bargain prices when your estate goes on sale?!! Hmmm?

Here are a few reasons why I LIKE vinyl... I am not saying why it is better, but WHY I like it. Both digital AND vinyl are capable of excellent results.

LP art is much better as it is bigger.

When I have it in my hand, it feels like I own something. A CD feels like a piece of cheap rubbish.

The "ritual" of putting on an LP, giving it a wipe with a duster, cueing up the cartridge and watching it drop slowing into place is just feels good.

My older records remind me of me & what I was up to at the time. I can see the age in the sleeve, and the inner sleeve. It makes me feel as if I have lived for a while...

Some events - e.g. a fool letting of a fire extinguisher in my student digs during a party, is irrevocably ingrained into the Clash's first album (I have another copy, but I KEEP the original!).

I could go on and on... maybe this deserves a thread... i.e. why do you LIKE vinyl, not why it SOUNDS better...

You know that, and I know that, but the youngsters don't know that; so what? Right now it wouldn't matter to them if they did; because most of them can't afford high end equipment anyway, not even used! But guess who'll be grabbing up your fancy TT and record cleaning machine at bargain prices when your estate goes on sale?!! Hmmm?

Sigh. Good point! No kids here means that some lucky bugger will be getting my gear when I bite the dust!

Here are a few reasons why I LIKE vinyl... The "ritual" of putting on an LP, giving it a wipe with a duster, cueing up the cartridge and watching it drop slowing into place is just feels good. My older records remind me of me & what I was up to at the time. I can see the age in the sleeve, and the inner sleeve. It makes me feel as if I have lived for a while......
I'd like to add something that I've always liked about records over ALL other formats: You can SEE the music, and where it's coming from. You can SEE loud/quiet passages. You can SEE where one selection begins/ends. I like that part, maybe most of all.

Listening to vinyl forces an emotional involvement, as you just don't press play and walk away. It forces an appreciation, because if you take proper care of an album and it plays flawlessly (even if it sounds just like the CD version) you invested effort in the performance capability. Conversely, if you don't take care of an album, it will sound bad and you will remember what it sounded like when well cared for.

I'd like to add something that I've always liked about records over ALL other formats: You can SEE the music, and where it's coming from. You can SEE loud/quiet passages. You can SEE where one selection begins/ends. I like that part, maybe most of all.

As a fellow who's starting to feel his age more and more (although my 53rd birthday was Friday and I celebrated it by mountain biking Mt. Falcoln - a local some-byatch of a 3.5 mile 3000 ft. single track climb WITH ANOTHER 10-12 miles of singletrack at the top, so I don't feel too bad), I appreciate the album art without having to squint or pull my glasses off and read the liner notes an inch from the end of my rather pronounced nose.

Neil, I remember when I was a kid watching some guy on I believe it was "What's My Line" and he had the unique talent of being able to tell you what a piece of work was by "reading" the grooves in the record! :eek:

It was amazing, they showed him record after record and he could name not only the piece, but in some instances who the Orchestra was, and who the conductor was.

For me, vinyl is a ritual and the church where I spend my time in meditation. The physical involvement in the media is what I enjoy. There is an engagement that you don't get with digital, and certainly not with streamed music. The added bonus at least on my system is that IT SOUNDS SPECTACULAR.

For me, vinyl is a ritual and the church where I spend my time in meditation.
Very true ! One year just before Christmas I was listening to RR's "Star of Wonder" on vinyl, with the lights turned down low, and I swear I could smell the candles in the church !

I guess I just like music. Due to recording and mastering, some things sound more lifelike on CD, some on LP and some on SACD or DVD-a. I don't see vinyl as the ritualistic thing many do.

I do however, like the artwork aspect of LP's...

I guess I just like music. Due to recording and mastering, some things sound more lifelike on CD, some on LP and some on SACD or DVD-a. I don't see vinyl as the ritualistic thing many do. I do however, like the artwork aspect of LP's...
I know you get out to live venues, probably more than most, so no one can question your understanding of "lifelike". However, when evaluating a system (rather than a format) an experienced mentor can really expand your awareness of the various sonic attributes that make a listening experience positive or negative.

The "ritual" of putting on an LP, giving it a wipe with a duster, cueing up the cartridge and watching it drop slowing into place is just feels good.

Those extra steps yield an anticipated event, the music, and enhance it. It's one of the reasons I love top loading cd players...a similar ritual is involved. I suspect that a 'pleasure through ritual' psychology must exist. Toward that end, "rituals" have been added into other luxury items such as exotic cars, which increasingly have starter buttons. As some of you will probably agree, there's an exhilaration which comes from turning a key then thumbing a red starter button.

Last edited:
Because I spend a lot of time screwing around with turntables, cartridges every day, vinyl does not have the mystique it used to have.

I still love it, enjoy it and would never get rid of it, but there are days
where it's just as much fun to walk up to a music server and hit play!

I'm enjoying reading everyones comments. I can relate to the "youth movement" for recently one of the young lads that snowmobiles with me has gotten into analog. At the ripe old age of '25' he has become somewhat disenchanted with some of the current digital offerings,this along with his love for classic rock, has got him seeking out old vinyl.

What he really gets a kick out of, yes I pointed him in this direction, is hitting the various Goodwills, flea markets, etc in search of the "Mother Lode" in vinyl treasures, something I too still enjoy to this day.

I'm enjoying reading everyones comments. I can relate to the "youth movement" for recently one of the young lads that snowmobiles with me has gotten into analog. At the ripe old age of '25' he has become somewhat disenchanted with some of the current digital offerings,this along with his love for classic rock, has got him seeking out old vinyl.

What he really gets a kick out of, yes I pointed him in this direction, is hitting the various Goodwills, flea markets, etc in search of the "Mother Lode" in vinyl treasures, something I too still enjoy to this day.

I'm really trying to understand vinyl, and just as I think I almost get there, I'm not so sure......

I really don't understand this Dave. We can debate the reletive merits of vinyl versus digital 'till the cows come home, but surely SURELY the acceptability of vinyl ends when trawling through
* crusty
* dusty
* warped
* mouldy and
* scratched to bu99ery
used records that have had cheap Japanese stylii (sorry, needles) dragged through them? Surely that's not hi-fi by even the most ambitious definition of the word, and listening to them can't be anything remotely what I would call enjoyable.

(Flame suit on), but genuinely - I am willing (hoping) to be educated. I just hope your "flea" market suppliers - (we don't have them here - is this what we would call a "second hand market"?) - don't own Clearaudio Master Reference turntables!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back