Interesting article on vinyl future

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now if it came with a FLAC download I'd start to come around.

I must say (and I'm probably in the minority here), but I really don't understand that whole "collector" thing. I buy an album for the music - not the album art or that so called "pleasure" of unwrapping the package. I couldn't care less about that.

Just give me the music!

Maybe I'm a bit young? But I don't think so - I'm just a music lover and not an artwork lover....

Last edited:
Oh, and I also love the way they're happily telling you (the reader) to go out and re-purchase 20 albums! That never ceases to amaze me - the record companies cry foul at illegal downloads, but then happily tell people to re-purchase music!

I think they need to decide if they're selling a "Licence" or a "Product". If it is a licence then if you already own the music, exchanging or adding other formats should be FREE. If it is a product then they need to understand that when you download you are not "stealing" any product. But they can't have their cake and eat it too.......

I must say (and I'm probably in the minority here), but I really don't understand that whole "collector" thing. I buy an album for the music - not the album art or that so called "pleasure" of unwrapping the package. I couldn't care less about that.

While I agree the music is first and foremost, there is something to be said for "The Fondle Factor" !

While I agree the music is first and foremost, there is something to be said for "The Fondle Factor" !

Dave,
In agreement with you on this one. I think it has something to do with guys from our era and what we grew up with.

The article seems to miss the whole point of vinyl and the main reason it has survived all these years. Vinyl in it's natural form sounds incredible and so many people today have never experienced vinyl done well. Instead they'll go directly to step 1 as suggested in the article. Actually playing the record on a decent turntable through their system never even crossed their mind.

"1. The first step is easy -- buy a turntable. They are cheaper than ever, portable, and come with USB conversion software. Alternately, many vintage turntables are available on EBay or at local thrift stores for nothing."

On my system vinyl (for the most part, there are exceptions) represents the absolute best SOUND I am able to achieve. It simply bests all other formats for musicality.

That being said, I also really enjoy the "ritual" and tactile involvement of vinyl. Holding the thing in your hands, clamping it onto the platter, starting the motor, cleaning the surface, positioning the tonearm, dropping the stylus onto the surface. Then kicking back into my listening chair and paging through the cover and inner art in a size that I can actually see. Man, that's livin'!

Interesting to read in the article about the continued decline in CD sales as vinyl sales are rising. I actually picked up the latest Coldplay LP at Circuit City. Now that's mainstream!

Last edited:
Vinyl for ever!

Vinyl is--by far--my primary audio source. My Forsell/Lyra Parnassus record spinner beats the pants off any digital front end I've heard, and like others I like the ritual of carefully removing the record from its antistatic sleeve, cueing it up, and dimming the lights. CD for me is predominantly for background music, though I will occassionly listen to some stuff that I only have on CD (it's not available on vinyl).

Fortunately, places like Acoustic Sounds and Elusive Disc keep my appetite for analog music whetted!

The article seems to miss the whole point of vinyl and the main reason it has survived all these years. Vinyl in it's natural form sounds incredible and so many people today have never experienced vinyl done well. Instead they'll go directly to step 1 as suggested in the article. Actually playing the record on a decent turntable through their system never even crossed their mind.

"1. The first step is easy -- buy a turntable. They are cheaper than ever, portable, and come with USB conversion software. Alternately, many vintage turntables are available on EBay or at local thrift stores for nothing."

Agreed, and that's the sad bit. They'll listen to those set up ups and wonder what all the fuss is about. :-(

Knowing that most magazines are always starved for content, it wouldn't surprise me that with vinyl being somewhat trendy nowadays, that lifestyle editors with space to fill, will bite on a story about LP's these days.

What I'm the most curious about is how many people like the woman who wrote this story, will actually KEEP and BUILD a decent LP collection.

While it might seem fun to put a few LP's on your iPod right now, whether they stick with it is another story.

Personally, I liked it better when we were all considered to be on the lunatic fringe liking vinyl. There were a lot better records for sale for a lot less money!

I think it's great that vinyl is getting so much attention and that vinyl sales are up enough that the major audiophile labels are able to keep pressing good titles, but as a mainstream format, this will be a short lived fad. It's too much work for the average consumer that doesn't really care about sound. That's why LP's went away in the first place!

Anything that introduces a young person (or any person) to vinyl is a GOOD thing as far as I'm concerned. All else is just bickering and commentary.

It might be a big surprise to the still un-hip, to cruise over to the Circuit City website where you can browse over 11,400 very-well-categorized LP's. 15 over $100, and 2200 under $10!

I bet there'll be a lot cheap of USB turntables on Christmas lists this year. And to the lucky devil with the Forsell/Lyra Parnassus record spinner :D I drool -- but now tell me what your first 'record spinner' was!;)

Latest posts

Back