My music collection (some of it)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amey01

Reaction score
After browsing through Jeff's "For Sale" items, I forgot how nice it is just to browse through someone else's music collection! Especially if you can get a feel for their taste, it gives you great ideas for your own collection.

Here's an export from my SlimServer database - of course, it doesn't include SACDs, vinyl and about 10 or 20% of my CD collection, but this is what I listen to most of the time. Enjoy!

PS - If you have a SlimServer or other setup that enables you to do the same, please do, and add to this thread!

PPS - Sorry about the tagging - it reminds me how it is a nasty job that I really do have to get around to doing some day.

Attachments

• AlbumCatalog - 6-07-2008 - QuickRef.zip
    11.3 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
How did you export that from SlimServer??

Have you gotten the newest version of SlimServer? It's now called "Squeeze Center" and it's alot better then older versions...

Tom.

After browsing through Jeff's "For Sale" items, I forgot how nice it is just to browse through someone else's music collection! Especially if you can get a feel for their taste, it gives you great ideas for your own collection.

Here's an export from my SlimServer database - of course, it doesn't include SACDs, vinyl and about 10 or 20% of my CD collection, but this is what I listen to most of the time. Enjoy!

PS - If you have a SlimServer or other setup that enables you to do the same, please do, and add to this thread!

PPS - Sorry about the tagging - it reminds me how it is a nasty job that I really do have to get around to doing some day.

Dude

That's only about half of my musical taste, that's why they are up for sale..

There were a few doubles, but a lot of female vocal stuff that I
rarely if ever listen to. I hear way too much of that at hifi shows.

You'd probably be appalled at my music collection! :)

But seriously, it's all over the board. I just inherited 2500 albums
and kept about half. The rest is going to my local used record shop
tomorrow...

How did you export that from SlimServer...

Looks like he's using the Album Catalog Creator plug-in...
http://www.vanholt.nl/acc/acc.htm

I've likewise wanted to use it, but first need to clean up my bad tags, as I also have that same issue with SqueezeCenter showing "duplicates." I've noticed it's often a corrupt discnumber field, or misspelling, downloaded from freedb during an EAC rip, that messes things up. So, lately, after ripping, I immediately double-check all tags with MP3tag. Unfortunately, I still have ~100 albums with tag errors, needing to be fixed. What a pain!

Have you gotten the newest version of SlimServer? It's now called "Squeeze Center" and it's alot better then older versions...

Tom.

No, I haven't dared upgrade yet. My music is too important (and listening time too precious) to deal with all the problems that an upgrade will no doubt entail.

I curretnly run SlimServer 6.5.4 and it is ROCK SOLID - until that changes (or there is some reason to upgrade other than a change in interface or some other petty stuff) I'm not changing anything!

So, lately, after ripping, I immediately double-check all tags with MP3tag. Unfortunately, I still have ~100 albums with tag errors, needing to be fixed. What a pain!

Yes, we live, we learn. A lot of my bad tags were music ripped many many years ago for my first iPod. I have re-ripped a lot of it if it wasn't in ALAC or FLAC, but as you can see, there is still a few outstanding. One day.......maybe a project for when a component breaks and I'm without music for a week or so? ......... touch wood I'm never doing my tags!

I could not get Lazy Search plugin to work after putting on the last upgrade (6.5.4).. The new one is WAY better, IMHO and the Lazy Search works fine again. :eek:

I, too, heartily recommend upgrading to SqueezeCenter. It's already at version 7.01, and quite stable. Most of the developers (including the guy who wrote Album Catalog Creator), have stated their future plug-ins will only work with SqueezeCenter.

What about recordings on physical media. Here is one of many ways I catalog and sort my collection using Access

Recordings by Category

Last edited:
What about recordings on physical media. Here is one of many ways I catalog anf sort my collection using Access

Recordings by Category

Some excellent collections guys! My collection is not nearly as extensive as some here, but just click on the "My CD Collection" at the bottom and it shows pretty much everything I own thus far. I use Racks and Tags, cause it lets you click on the album and shows the track listing and album art.

Seth

Some excellent collections guys! My collection is not nearly as extensive as some here, but just click on the "My CD Collection" at the bottom and it shows pretty much everything I own thus far. I use Racks and Tags, cause it lets you click on the album and shows the track listing and album art.

Seth

Great Seth!

I'm following Seth's lead and I created an account on "Racks and Tags".... Here's a link to my collection:

http://www.racksandtags.com/tomdac/albums/

I take it you don't use your Squeezebox for serious listening, given that most of your music is in MP3!

If you ever want to convert it to FLAC you've got quite some task ahead of you! Yuck.

Luckily, I never made it past about 30 albums using lossy compression, but I've heard horror stories of people who've ripped thier entire collections to 128k mp3, then 192k, then 320k AAC, and finally to FLAC.......hard way to learn.

For me, I have nearly all of my collection ripped to .WAV, with the rest being in either WMA Lossless or FLAC. Sound quality is phenomenal! Listening to streamed music has spoiled me so much that I rarely listen to physical CD's anymore.

Seth

Last edited:
For me, I have nearly all of my collection ripped to .WAV, with the rest being in either WMA Lossless or FLAC. Sound quality is phenomenal! Listening to streamed music has spoiled me so much that I rarely listen to physical CD's anymore.

Seth

Same for me - I was not expecting it to play such a large role in my system, but since acquiring the Squeezebox I, too, rarely listen to physical CDs. It seems so "last century" to physically have to put a disc in a player. Sort of like having to insert the Firefox floppy disk every time I want to surf the 'net! Then take it out and insert the Outlook disk if I want to send an email...

It really does sound so darn good......but the convenience is what really grabs me - my taste has always changed wildly - one minute I'm listening to a classical flute solo, next minute AC/DC - and that's just the normal stuff - then there's celtic jigs, japanese drummers and deep African tribal rhythms - all in one listening session!

All of mine is in ALAC (if it is on the iPod as well) or FLAC (if it is not on my iPod). I figure when I get a bigger iPod I'll convert the FLAC to ALAC at that point (or high-bitrate AAC because the thing sounds so bad the difference doesn't really matter), but I'm going to need those idiots to stop thier "Planned Obsolescence" mentality and produce an iPod with decent capacity. My music collection is at 155GB now (and growing). Or maybe those idiots will support FLAC by then?

Last edited:

Tom.

I should b**dy well hope so... that Squeezebox software was so bad I sold my Squeezebox. As a s/w engineer of some 20+ years experience, I just couldn't handle just how pathetic it really was.

Yeah.. having FLAC is not a choice I'd make.. too much disk space and they can't be played on an ipod, so VBR MP3s will do.... critical listening remains on CDs..

Back