CLS Face lift !

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C.A.P

Reaction score
After waiting for my stands to come back from the powder coater I decided to take the panels out and re sand the walnut and give it a Hand rubbed look.(Might just as well have newly finished wood to match the new stands to come) I took them down to 400 grit with a palm sander. They were coated first coat with a slurry of BLO and Walnut dust to fill pores. Then they were treated to 5 coats of 1/3 BLO , 1/3 tongue oil, and 3 equal parts of Sable black stain , antique brown stain and a wood Varnish. This was rubbed on and let soak for 10 min then hand buffed off to dry. The figuring is so much more pronounced and its a softer look with a tad bit darker appearance. By the way BLO=boiled linseed oil. :D:D

Here is a before and after of the same speaker ! The one is sitting on the stands before I sent them out for coating ! Ill post them when finished.

Attachments

• Seatle 043 (Small).jpg
    Seatle 043 (Small).jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 489
  • Seatle 051 (Small).jpg
    Seatle 051 (Small).jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 494
Absolutely beautiful. Love the look of those frames !! Unique !!

When can I come hear them ??

:D:D:D

~VDR

Thanks, Walnut really does have a look of its own. ! I have worked with wood for many years and you cant duplicate that patina and depth with anything !

Ill be planning a get together soon. Your welcome any time I am in town though if you feel like driving out !

Sweet!

I wonder what a pair of those would look like, stained in a custom color...

How hard are they to take apart?

Easy to take apart ! 1/2 hr job. I did put a custom mix on these but I did not want to hide the real beauty of the Walnut. The Oak I could do some crazy things with. Those plain woods can be made to look crazy but the pure silky burl of good old American Walnut should not be covered with a color. Its as beautiful as Wood can get with its texture and depth ! You really have to see them in person

Easy to take apart ! 1/2 hr job. I did put a custom mix on these but I did not want to hide the real beauty of the Walnut. The Oak I could do some crazy things with. Those plain woods can be made to look crazy but the pure silky burl of good old American Walnut should not be covered with a color. Its as beautiful as Wood can get with its texture and depth ! You really have to see them in person

Hola C.A.P. try to get orange oil with bees wax...it is a product easy to get there, and the wood loves it!...my guitar looks beautiful with that treatment too...it is to see all the dark of the wood more intense (http://www.perfectproductsonline.com/beeswax.htm) ...wonderful job!!! It would be my next project!...happy listening,
Roberto.

CAP - nice job, you should be receiving my oak CLS frames by noon tomorrow. do you want the tracking number?

:D

(for those that this was too subtle, i'm joking...)

The stands are done and on! :rocker: Man they look good and function well. Its a perfect form fallows function design !

Attachments

• S6300207 (Small).JPG
    S6300207 (Small).JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 260
Stunningly beautiful system there, CAP. One of these days we'll need to throw a Michigan Martin Logan owner party so that I can hear those CLSes.

~VDR

The stands are done and on! :rocker: Man they look good and function well. Its a perfect form fallows function design !

Very good work there C.A.P.!

Nice to see the acosutically treated space between them as well. :rocker:

Beautiful

Those look really nice! Great work on the finishing. I can't wait to hear them.

I am in the planning stages of a get together at my place ! ;) SOON , very soon !

You are all welcome to come !

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back