Difference between KT88 AND EL34

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abhijit

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the basic difference in sound quality between KT88 AND EL34 Tubes . How will Six Pac sound if I replace Ruby EL34 with Gold Lion KT88?

Can anyone tell me the basic difference in sound quality between KT88 AND EL34 Tubes . How will Six Pac sound if I replace Ruby EL34 with Gold Lion KT88?

The KT88 will, all things being equal, have a tighter, more extended bottom end and a more extended top end. The EL34 will have a more holographic midrange and a touch more luminosity all around. I like the Big Bottle 6CA7 (EL34 equiv.) in my amps more than the 6550s though I will be trying the KT family (88, 77, 66) in the near future.

In many amps the EL 34 and KT 88 are not direct substitutes. For example, I do not believe the EL 34 will function in an ARC amp. Also, the power output in such an amp would be greatly reduced. The direct replacement for the KT 88 would be the 6550.

In many amps the EL 34 and KT 88 are not direct substitutes. For example, I do not believe the EL 34 will function in an ARC amp. Also, the power output in such an amp would be greatly reduced. The direct replacement for the KT 88 would be the 6550.

BTW, the amp I am talking about can accept 6L6, KT-66, KT-88, KT-99 OR EL34. Which is the best for Jazz and Rock (not Hard Rock)?

You might also try the KT77 being a direct substitute for EL34.

BTW, the amp I am talking about can accept 6L6, KT-66, KT-88, KT-99 OR EL34. Which is the best for Jazz and Rock (not Hard Rock)?

That's a difficult question to answer. Each of those tubes has its virtues. You can really get confused when you add in the fact that the same numbered tubes of different manufacturers tend to sound differently! Experienced tubaholics tend to try different varieties to determine what they like. The practice is called "tube rolling." Unfortunately, it can be very expensive - especially if you try to buy old stock such as Mullards, Genelexes, Tung-Sols or Telefunkens.

Latest posts

Back