moving from tubes to solid state

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zaphod

Reaction score
well, after years of tube kit upstairs in my "classic" 2 channel system, i'm rethinking my tube amps.

i'm about to make a change in my life that will be pretty major - and it requires rethinking some priorities. so while the ML HT kit downstairs is safe :) i have three old Mac amps that are going to need a new home soon.

i've never sold audio gear before (never really understood the concept of SELLING gear) so what do people think is the best way to sell gear?

The classifieds on this forum and audiogon would be the two places I would look to if I was selling gear. If you have any good high end shops in your area, you might also see if they will take the gear on consignment.

well, after years of tube kit upstairs in my "classic" 2 channel system, i'm rethinking my tube amps.

i'm about to make a change in my life that will be pretty major - and it requires rethinking some priorities. so while the ML HT kit downstairs is safe :) i have three old Mac amps that are going to need a new home soon.

i've never sold audio gear before (never really understood the concept of SELLING gear) so what do people think is the best way to sell gear?

The key to selling anything is a reputation. Since your are new, you do not have one. Click through some Audiogon ads and feedback for individuals just to get a taste. You can mitigate the situation by being as clear and forthcoming as possible about your equipment, accepting paypal - which serves as an insurance policy for the buyer, and being available to answer all questions. Also, if you lower your price a bit below the average selling price of the item, you can "compensate" those willing to take a risk on you despite of no reputation.

Good Luck!

I just sold the following on audiogon:

Monarchy SE-100 amps (2 each)
Monarchy SM-70pro amps (2 each)
Conrad Johnson MV60 tube amp
Conrad Johsnon PFR pre amp

All sold in less than 3 weeks. Audiogon is a great place to sell high-end audio equipment. I agree reputation (buyer / seller feedback is important). However, I find Audiogon to be great place to start. Just remember as a seller you have very little to lose because you have to get paid first before shipping. It is the buyer that takes the risk.

Good luck.

You can mitigate the situation by being as clear and forthcoming as possible about your equipment
This cannot be stressed enough. As an example, I recently listed and sold a head amp on Audiogon, and in the listing I indicated that the wall wart power supply had obviously been worked on, and the previous owner had not identified that to me before my purchase, but the unit worked fine. The guy who won the auction was happy with it. I would rather lose a sale than sell something without full disclosure.

thanks all, i'll check ebay/'gon for pricing and let the forums have first crack before i put them up there.

great advice.

thanks all, i'll check ebay/'gon for pricing and let the forums have first crack before i put them up there.
great advice.
Three old Mac amps -- do tell! You nay not even have to advertise them, Although two other places you should consider are audio asylum www.audioasylum.com (free) and the Audiokarma classifieds which get a lot of Mac owners because of their Mac Forum.

Three old Mac amps -- do tell! You nay not even have to advertise them,

well four, but only three work.

one is a mono 50w2 - i've had it running since this morning and it still sounds great, it had been off for 6 months. it's partner started outputting a really bad noise - like rushing wind - a couple of years back, so i shelved it. it will be sold upfront as non-working, although it might be something simple however i did a tube trade between the two and that didn't point to anything.

the other two are mc60's - both working. when the first 50w2 went south, i replaced it with a mc60 that had been driving my Logos. i bought the second mc60 6 months back to get a match for the first mc60. that's when i shelved the second 50w2.

i really like the amps, but the 50w2's are doing nothing and i'm going to replace the mc60s with a high end lower maintanance SS amp, and get a bit of money in the end. someone on another forum asked if i was high for considering this and that i should keep the amps as sound investments.

well, and investment is only expensive paper (or iron :) ) until you cash it in, and i've got the best reason in the world for cashing in these investments - so i'm pulling the trigger on it.

Latest posts

Back