Need an SACD player before early June

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cherian

Reaction score
I have many SACD but no SACD player. I’m looking to move into the world of SACD players. I’m looking at the following.

1) The McCormack Audio UDP-1 (plays just about anything and has very good reviews). This player is also sold under the Conrad Johnson name.
2) The Mcintosh MVP-861. (Again this one plays just about every format).
3) The Krell SACD Standard (only plays red book and SACD).
4) The Mcintosh MCD-201 (only plays red book and SACD).
5) Shanling T-200 (only plays red book and SACD).

I can only spend about $1,500.00 and used is not an issue. Any other players I should consider?

Thanks for any advise.

Cherian

1) The McCormack Audio UDP-1 (plays just about anything and has very good reviews). This player is also sold under the Conrad Johnson name.
UDP-1 Deluxe is the CJ modified model

3) The Krell SACD Standard (only plays red book and SACD).
Contact Jeff Zaret as I think he is selling his

I can only spend about $1,500.00 and used is not an issue. Any other players I should consider?
Used Modwright modifed players come up on Audiogon for your price range. Just do not know if one will come up in time. Modified players out perform stock players costing many times more and there are many reviews out there for research. Why spend more when you can get equal or better performance for far less money?

Remember, the really good Modifiers have a whole NEW AUDIO OUTPUT SECTION in their design, and they are not just part swappers. This new OUTPUT SECTION is what sets the two best names in Modifiers out there apart from the others - Modwright and Vacuum State. Do not get fooled into modified players which just have parts swaps.

Here are some more quotes from people using modified players:

"....and a hyper-modified Sony CD from ten years ago that Ric Schultz of EVS tweaked out and thought, at the time, was one of the best sounding units he ever produced. That Sony cost $225 new, and the mod was $600. The Sony just SMOKED my Esoteric X-01 in a side-by-side, so I dumped the Esoteric (it was a little bright and somewhat thin) about a year ago and have gone with the cheapo Sony since."

"The decision to spend the $$ on an upgrade is up to you, but the current Upgrade will transform the sound of the unit, and as the only reliability problem in a 940 is the laser assembly, and they are readily available and easily changed, why not give it a second life? I know of no new player that would get close to it at anything like the price"

"Most stock SACD players don't get within a mile of realizing the potential of SACD, so most people have never really heard what it can do, compared to a modified player"

Last edited:
I use a Marantz and have fantastic results. I've also heard the Marantz SA-11s1 and SA-15S1 - both great also.

How much does a used Ayre C5-xe go for over there these days?

Cherian,
Take a look at the Marantz SA-7S1. It's a superb CD/SACD player which is touted to be very analog-like. A bit pricy when new, but you might get lucky on the used market. Reviewed in TAS in Sept 07 issue.

Cherian,

Also look at the Oppo, DV-980H. It will play just about anything and is very inexpensive. You can also get and good outboard DAC or get it modded and still be within your price range. If you would like you I will bring mine up and you can hear it.

Check out Reference Audio Mods

How much does a used Ayre C5-xe go for over there these days?

About $4,500 US. There are currently two on Audiogon. David Matz brought his over to my house a few weeks ago. It does sound awesome.

I own the Oppo DV 970 modified by Reference Audio Mods and also a stock DV 980H. I also own the Marantz SA11 S1 and use it as my primary audio player. I don't think the Oppo's (even the modified ones) are at the quality level you are looking for. The Marantz is a great unit, with a solid build and a very smooth sound. I can highly recommend it. At your price point, you should also consider used Esoteric and Wadia.

Cherian, What about a Denon?

The Denon 2930 or 3930 are great universal machines.
Either one is below a grand used, and the 2930 can be had for $800 or so new.

Also, regardless of brand, make sure you get one that does bass management correctly. You'd be amazed at the number that don't do this right.

If you are just looking for quality SACD & CD playback, I wouldn't recommend too many universal players. Those that do everything tend to not excel at anything. There are, of course, a few expensive exceptions to this rule.

Make sure you get a player that has quality native DSD decoding. Also recognize that some players offer multichannel SACD decoding, while others (like my Marantz) only offer two-channel decoding.

If you are just looking for quality SACD & CD playback, I wouldn't recommend too many universal players. Those that do everything tend to not excel at anything. There are, of course, a few expensive exceptions to this rule.

Make sure you get a player that has quality native DSD decoding. Also recognize that some players offer multichannel SACD decoding, while others (like my Marantz) only offer two-channel decoding.

I may be wrong, Rich, but I thought SACD decoding is confined to players only apparently on account of copyright protection; no external decoding is possible. So players usually output 5.1 from RCA output, IEEE1394 or Denon Link.

Anyone here have any experience with the Esoteric DV-50s Universal disk player? I have read some very good things about it and was wondering if this was the way to go?

Thanks

Cherian

Attachments

• DV-50s-Front-Right-view.jpg
    DV-50s-Front-Right-view.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 583
Joey,

It is indeed. Used they go for $2300.00 to $2500.00 but I feel it might be worth it as my pre and amp are so revealing now.

Joey,

It is indeed. Used they go for $2300.00 to $2500.00 but I feel it might be worth it as my pre and amp are so revealing now.

Cherian,

I have an Esoteric SA-60 which is very similar to the DV-50 and it is a fantastic player. My only complaint is that is took 2 months to break in and sounded terrible prior to that. Now it is one of the best players I have ever owned and I have been through quite a few in my search. It really shines when it comes to SACDs and does a great job on red book as well. It is also built like a tank.

Joey,

Cherian,

It is a good choice - "No one ever got fired for buying IBM products" and Esoteric is kind of like that. The downside is that the digital technology is evolving fast. This model is at least 5 years old, which is really old compared to the newest players out there. Even if you don't consider potential maintenance costs for transport/ laser replacement, you are shelling out close to $2.5K. Can you add another K and get the SA 60? Quoting Mickey Fremer you would have the "best sound from any disk"? You won't have to upgrade for a while if you go this route. Just a thought.

The DV-50s I'm looking at was built in 2005 so not too old. Coming up with another 1K iwould be tough. Again I'm not looking for any Video playback just redbook, SACD and DVD-A.

A player that comes in at 45 lbs must be built like a tank. I can only assume this this will blow away my Shanling redbook player. I may keep the shanling for that tube sound or sell it later for another sub.

The DV-50s I'm looking at was built in 2005 so not too old. Coming up with another 1K iwould be tough. Again I'm not looking for any Video playback just redbook, SACD and DVD-A.

A player that comes in at 45 lbs must be built like a tank. I can only assume this this will blow away my Shanling redbook player. I may keep the shanling for that tube sound or sell it later for another sub.

I actually own a Shanling tube red book player as well. I loved the sound but after using the SA-60 the Shanling doesn't even come close. It does not have the same "warm" sound as the Shanling but it is MUCH more detailed and open sounding without the slightest hint of harshness. IMHO based on your current system I would certainly go for the Esoteric. I did not need the video features so I went with the SA-60 which is the audio only version of their "budget" player.

Cherian,

I've got the DV50s and couldn't be happier. As a mostly analog guy I'd say that of all of the players that I auditioned and could afford, the Esoteric came the closest to the sound of my analog rig (though still not as good overall).

It is VERY neutral, it will give you the information on the disc. If you want something a little warmer you might consider the McCormack Delux (essentially a Conrad Johnson). Given your current system either would match up very well, but the Esoteric is going to be a bit more truthfull and you won't find a more reliable player around - it really is built like a tank!

FWIW - the DV50s actually has HDMI outputs for the video side. You may still want to investigate it's video potential, I think it's likely to be the best video player you could lay you hands on short of BluRay.

Attachments

• Esoteric02.jpg
    Esoteric02.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Well I just closed the deal on a DV-50s. I hope to have it on Tuesday. I can not wait. All this money so I can play my Dead Can Dance SACDs in mid June. Got to love this hobby. :music:

Back