LP 10" singles (78 rpm) Looking for playing tips

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhd1953

Reaction score
I have a large number of 10" singles (most likely 78 rpm), which I haven't played yet. (When my cousins cleaned out Grandma's house, no one wanted the records). These things weigh about 3 lbs each!

I will use a dj turntable...and something like a Grado - 78Ecartridge (for mono 78-rpm records. And burn to cd.

Did these come with just paper sleeves (no hard covers like modern lps)?
Where can I get replacement paper sleeves (10").
I assume I can use the same cleaning as for regular records?

Look to be pop artists (vocal and orchestral) from the 1940's. Will make a list first thing.

I have a large number of 10" singles (most likely 78 rpm), which I haven't played yet. (When my cousins cleaned out Grandma's house, no one wanted the records). These things weigh about 3 lbs each!
78s are not frisbees. frisbees are not 78s. and cheese pizzas are neither
I will use a dj turntable...and something like a Grado - 78Ecartridge (for mono 78-rpm records. And burn to cd.

kudos to you for getting the right needle. you also want to avoid RIAA equalization, you want to be able to apply different equalizations (London, Decca etc), and you want speed adjustment ("78" wasn't always "78"). consider getting an old preamp like an EICO to act as your phono pre. it will provide the various equalizations. speed variation is up to your table.

there is s/w available that lets you run the TT into the PC, with the TT running at 33. you then post production the 33 stream into 78 and apply equalization. i can get the name of the s/w if you like. the big savings is not needing a 78rpm capable table.
apparently paper sleeves are the best for 78s. back in "the day" you stored your 78s in binders of these paper sleeves. many sets of 78s came in pre-printed binder sets - sort of a precurser to the LP gatefold albums.
if you look at museum and/or library supply shops you can still find paper sleeves or binders. Brodart.com is my favourite place for this sort of thing. here is a storage box from bordart.

not quite - the composition of 78s is different than that of LPs. my nitty-gritty has a seperate non-alcohol base fluid. do not use alcohol cleaners on the 78s.

you also want to store 78s FLAT not on edge as they will sag over time. have you ever seen a victorian house with original windows still intact? the glass has waves in it because it has sagged over time. 78s will do the same. i didn't realize that until a museum put me straight.
Look to be pop artists (vocal and orchestral) from the 1940's. Will make a list first thing.

a list would be great. i have some old 78s myself and am looking at my Mom's collection to maybe put onto CD for her. i think that copyright on the old 78s is well past the best-by date.

Try SleeveCity for the jackets http://www.sleevetown.com/78-sleeves.shtml. Never use alcohol based cleaners on 78s. They are shellac based and shellac is soluble in alcohol. They will be silent when you're done though:eek:

i can get the name of the s/w if you like.

Yes, please post/send the software name. I'm wondering about equalization at the reduced speed copying, though.

Lots of good points, thank you very much.

Looking closer, I realized that I have some of the "notebooks" that sets of records came in. Strange record side numbering too, for example sides 2 & 4, 3 & 5????

Looking closer, I realized that I have some of the "notebooks" that sets of records came in. Strange record side numbering too, for example sides 2 & 4, 3 & 5????

That was to facilitate the old style center spindle drop down changers. You would stack 3 records on the spindle and then start the turntable up. The first record (side 1) would drop down and the tonearm would move to the beginning of the record and start playing. When it was finished with that side the tonearm would raise and move over out of the way, allowing the second record to drop down and again the tone arm would move over and start playing, etc. When you were done with sides 1, 2 and 3 you would just flip the whole stack over on top of the spindle and repeat the process. Not exactly what we would call High End today. Can you imagine the havoc it caused with effect to VTA?

Latest posts

Back