New Turntable for the Kid

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diamonds

Reaction score
Hi All -

Time to upgrade the kids turntable.

Currently he has a Music Hall 7.1 and his turntable needs to be upgraded...I think????

What do you guys recommend in the sub 3k range with cart and arm? Perhaps more...maybe???

Also, will it be a noticable improvement and worth the 2k investment?

Whatcha' think??

Thanks!
D

Here's my suggestion:

New Rega P3-24 with the outboard supply is about 1300 bucks.
Add the Groovetracer subplatter upgrade for 229 and a Dynavector
17D3 for 900.

(or if you want a great deal on a very lightly used 17 D3, PM me, I just
upgraded it to the Dynavector XV-1s)

That's the table and cartridge I'd buy new for that kind of dough.

Or if you don't want to switch tables, consider just putting a better cart on the music hall. Again, the Dynavector is a winner but pretty neutral overall tonally. If his system is a bit on the warm side, a Sumiko Blackbird might be nice or if his system is a bit on the bright side the new ZU Denon cartridge is a steal at 400 bucks. All three will reveal more music than the Music Hall cart.

Perhaps just try the cartridge first, it may be enough that you don't want to spend the extra $$

Hi All -

Time to upgrade the kids turntable.

Currently he has a Music Hall 7.1 and his turntable needs to be upgraded...I think????

What do you guys recommend in the sub 3k range with cart and arm? Perhaps more...maybe???

Also, will it be a noticable improvement and worth the 2k investment?

Whatcha' think??

Thanks!
D

I went from the MH 5.1 with stock goldring to a JA Michell
Technodec with a Grado Sonata Wood. The difference was quite noticable. Cost was $2100. Plus the Techno looks KEWL!

How about a VPI Scoutmaster including arm) for $2,500. It can be upgraded (SDS, periphery ring) as funds permit; this is one thing I like about VPI.

TT stand part 2

You can pick-up a Clearaudio Champion with arm and cart. for that budget. Maybe see if they have the Limited Editions left. I have one, set me back around 3g's I seem to remember. Best I have ever owned. Michelle would be awesome also.

Doug - out

I see you are selling the Music Hall. Have you made a decision as to what you are going to buy?

I see you are selling the Music Hall. Have you made a decision as to what you are going to buy?
'

I am posted it just to see if there is any interest. A local seller has a Michell Technodec for 900.00 that I am interested in. Do you think this is a good deal. Then I am thinking perhaps a Benz cart or maybe something else? Not too sure.

'

I am posted it just to see if there is any interest. A local seller has a Michell Technodec for 900.00 that I am interested in. Do you think this is a good deal. Then I am thinking perhaps a Benz cart or maybe something else? Not too sure.

Hello Diamonds,

What did you end up going with and what did you think? I was just checking through some of the turntable talk when I found this thread.

Glen

Hello Diamonds,

What did you end up going with and what did you think? I was just checking through some of the turntable talk when I found this thread.

Glen

Funny you ask. This was put on hold because I did not want to pay for everything besides he upgraded his speakers, bought a JL Audio sub, bought a new TV and tons of music. So he had NO MONEY!

But the topic came up last night and we are going to try and get him a Conrad Johnson TEA phono stage (the cheapest one). I have been told by every person I have talked to, that it would be more beneficial to upgrade the phono stage first. I realize the CJ is overkill but it is something he can keep for a very long time.

The table will come along after a new phono stage is purchased. I was talking to him last night and we were talking about a Rega P7 or P9 but it's going to be a while.

Last edited:
Funny you ask. This was put on hold because I did not want to pay for everything besides he upgraded his speakers, bought a JL Audio sub, bought a new TV and tons of music. So he had NO MONEY!

But the topic came up last night and we are going to try and get him a Conrad Johnson TEA phono stage (the cheapest one). I have been told by every person I have talked to, that it would be more beneficial to upgrade the phono stage first. I realize the CJ is overkill but it is something he can keep for a very long time.

The table will come along after a new phono stage is purchased. I was talking to him last night and we were talking about a Rega P7 or P9 but it's going to be a while.

That's good to hear that you purchased a good phono stage. I believe you'll better hear a quality difference when you do decide to upgrade the turntable because the phono stage will be up to the task. Not that the Music Hall is a slouch by any means. Keep us informed of what you end up getting. I'd be interested to know what the difference was between the P7 and P9.

Glen

wow, that is major overkill!

Even though I'm a huge CJ fan, if you don't want to screw
around with tubes but still want an awesome phono stage,
I'd suggest the Rega IOS.

3000 bucks, world class sound, no tubes!

The JLTi is quite good at 1695 and you can add the extra
power supply later (another 900)

Even the new Lehmann Black Cube SE at 1100 is pretty
good.

That Rega's a honey though. One of the best I've heard
at any price!

If you can stretch the budget from the P7 to the P9, you
won't regret it. THe P9 is way beyond the P7 in every
aspect. I have a P3 and P9 and have listened to the other
two extensively. The P5 and 7 are fairly close to the P3,
with obvious refinement, but the gap between the P7 and
P9 is very major....

Even after having the Continuum around and a few other
big bucks tables, that P9 is a winner!

Last edited:
wow, that is major overkill!

Even though I'm a huge CJ fan, if you don't want to screw
around with tubes but still want an awesome phono stage,
I'd suggest the Rega IOS.

3000 bucks, world class sound, no tubes!

The JLTi is quite good at 1695 and you can add the extra
power supply later (another 900)

Even the new Lehmann Black Cube SE at 1100 is pretty
good.

That Rega's a honey though. One of the best I've heard
at any price!

If you can stretch the budget from the P7 to the P9, you
won't regret it. THe P9 is way beyond the P7 in every
aspect. I have a P3 and P9 and have listened to the other
two extensively. The P5 and 7 are fairly close to the P3,
with obvious refinement, but the gap between the P7 and
P9 is very major....

Even after having the Continuum around and a few other
big bucks tables, that P9 is a winner!

I think I can get a real great deal from my dealer on one and again it is one he can grow with rather than a continuing upgrade.

Then down the road he can upgrade his table and it will be really nice. He also likes the look because it will match the CJ amp and preamp he is currently using.

I understand those other phonostages are really good but if I can get the deal I think I can get I don't think we can pass it up.

I really do appreciate your opinion on all things analog :bowdown:

Latest posts

Back