Lets Talk a little....Analog !

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twich54

Forum Administrator
Reaction score
There has been a few folks who have recently joined the forum plus those that are getting into vinyl, like "Satch", that I thought it would be good to share some worthwhile analog thoughts, tweeks, and or general good things to do / recommend.

I'll start off with two items that I have started using in the past year that I find very worthwhile........

1) "Zerodust" stylus cleaner, Tim (MiTT) turned me on to this one last spring, and while pricey @ $69, it works superb and provides very good visual evidence of the job it does.

2) "Gruv-Glide", a great product year-round but really benificial during the dry-static months of winter.

Attachments

• azerod[1].jpg
    azerod[1].jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 273
  • media[1].jpg
    media[1].jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
Analog

Dave,

Thanks for the new thread...

I'm putting together a "TT Kit" and so far have:

1) Spool of thread for the thread drive that the Scheau-Analog Cello uses to spin the platter.

2) KAB SpeedStrobe

3) Shure Stylus Force Gauge

4) Bearing Oil

I'll soon add the items you mentioned at the start of this thread.

Also, I'm thinking about getting the VPI 16.5 Record Cleaner so I can see if I can find some good deals on the used market like TrumpetDoug has been talking about.

Thanks for any advise...
Satch

Attachments

• aaasystemTT.jpg
    aaasystemTT.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 233
Satch - I'd say that if you're going to get into vinyl seriously the VPI 16.5 or something similar is an essential tool; especially if you are going to be picking up any amount of used vinyl. Nobody loves your vinyl like you do, so there's no telling what sort of gunk and crud used slabs may have been exposed to. I clean every piece of vinyl as soon as possible - including the brand spankin' new stuff just to get rid of any mold release compounds that may be present. It does make a difference you can hear.

So... to Dave's list, I'd add

• VPI 16.5 Vacuum Record Cleaner of equivalent
    Disc Doctor Record Cleaning solution
    Disk Doctor or MoFi Record cleaning brushes
    and last but certainly not least - Appropriate Anally Retentive record cleaning process

What good fun!

Let's add:

1. The alignment protractor of your choice, I like the MFSL Geo-Disc
2. MFSL record sleeves to replace the sand paper that old albums typically come in.
3. Outer sleeves to protect the jackets.
4. Ultrasonic stylus cleaner
5. GroovMaster label protector to guard the label of the foulest used vinyl while washing in the sink.
6. A good bubble level.

1. A lined 3" x 5" index card bent along one of the lines and placed so that it stands upright on the TT right next to the arm, so you can emsure that the arm is parallel to the base of the TT (the lines should be parallel to the arm). This is a good starting point for adjusting VTA.

2. Soldering iron and solder. If the wires to the cartridge clips are just crimped (not soldered), run some solder into the connection (after removing the clips from the cartridge). I was amazed at the difference it made with my (now-retired to Harry Weisfeld) Syrinx tonearm.

Last edited:
Satch, in case you haven't checked out this site before, I encourage you to do so http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?board=32.0

Loads of interesting dialouge there as well.

Also, as Tim said you should put a good RCM on your short list. While not cheap, as you go forward with your record collection it trully does become invaluable.

Good dialouge here, lets keep it going !!

Maybe one of these?...
268578854_t2jYg-M.jpg

Yeah, I always do a dry clean of every disc as it goes on the platter, although I prefer the Hunt E.D.A. Mark 6 Brush myself.

I also use my trusty old DiscWasher Zerostat anti-static gun whenever it's dry (which around here is almost always), to reduce static on the record surfaces. A S-L-O-W pull of the trigger in odd numbers (3 or 5) to alter polarity is VERY effective if you have static build up on the record surface. Here's a link to the one they carry at Music Direct...
http://www.musicdirect.com/product/73947

(my old one is red as opposed to the blue in this picture and it says DiscWasher on the side instead of Milty (WTF is a MIlty?) - and I think I paid $30.00 for it 25 years ago - now they want $100.00 for it YIKES!!! - but it does work very well.)

Attachments

• zerostat.jpg
    zerostat.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
Record Sleeves

Just thought I should mention that after the arson at the house of Harry Pearson of TAS, he found that the records that got wrecked were those with plastic inner sleeves, as the plastic got melted onto the vinyl. He had less problem with the records that had paper sleeves. This was documented in an issue of TAS many years ago.

Just thought I should mention that after the arson at the house of Harry Pearson of TAS, he found that the records that got wrecked were those with plastic inner sleeves, as the plastic got melted onto the vinyl. He had less problem with the records that had paper sleeves. This was documented in an issue of TAS many years ago.

Indeed that is what HP reported. I've found that the rice paper sleeves, which won't melt, are the best combination of protection and smoothness without the chance of scuffing the album. YMMV!

I am going to email Ken and see what he has for my Aries-3 / 10.5i arm.
I use an old one, probably no longer available, called the CartAlign. It aligns the cartridge using the cantilever for alignment, instead of the cartridge body. This method is better than using the cartridge body; the Feickert and the one supplied with the VPI arm both use the cartridge body.

I have a VPI HW 19 MK IV that has for four rubber feet with threaded screws through them, and that is what is used for levelling. I notice that VPI's newer TTs have large cones for feet; they definitely look more solid. Has anyone here done an "upgrade" to the new feet ? VPI does not carry them for the HW 19, but have advised me that any cone with a 10-32 thread will fit. So far I have not managed to locate any.

I have a VPI HW 19 MK IV that has for four rubber feet with threaded screws through them, and that is what is used for levelling. I notice that VPI's newer TTs have large cones for feet; they definitely look more solid. Has anyone here done an "upgrade" to the new feet ? VPI does not carry them for the HW 19, but have advised me that any cone with a 10-32 thread will fit. So far I have not managed to locate any.

Years and years ago, Audio Advisor offered an HW 19 upgrade that consisted of replacement cones for the rubber feet. I must have mine for 20 years or so. They do make a difference. You should not have trouble finding them.

I used two other protractors as well as the device that came with my VPI to align my cartridge. The VPI was spot on and by far the easiest to use! I used it to align the cantilever by careful examination of the parallel lines on the VPI tool.

Latest posts

Back