ML Depth and other comparable subs

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanjay

Reaction score
I'm relatively new into the hi-fi audio scene, but after I heard the Summits last week I was instantly drawn in. While I already have decent speakers (and don't have the room for the Summits yet), I'm looking to get a subwoofer to round out my 2 channel system.

I heard the Depth i and was pretty impressed. I still can't get over how such small drivers can go so deep. A local dealer here on the east coast has a demo unit on sale for $300 off MSRP (Apparently it's got one of the exclusive wood trims). Also I prefer to buy new simply because of the warranty and free repair service that comes along with it should something go wrong.

But, for around the same budget I could also get a REL 301, Velodyne DD-12 (Open box), any SVS sub, the Paradigm Seismic 10, or the Sunfire True Subwoofer EQ.

I generally perfer a smaller footprint over a larger footprint, but still want decent extention and output. My next choice in this price range would probably be a DD-12. AVTalk has some revealing metrics from their test reports.

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to listen to all of these subs. Can anyone, who has experiance with these subs, give some insight/opinions?

If you were to ask any of the purist in this group they would tell you Martin Logan for sure (no offense my friends:bowdown:). However, I have the Velodyne DD-15 and that thing is one of the finest subs that I have ever heard, accurate and very quick. I bought it new from a local dealer after auditioning several subs, mainly due to the size of my listening room. True, if you are looking for something with a smaller footprint then the Depth is the sub for you. It is about 1/3 the size of the DD-15 and is an awesome piece of gear and I feel it has better qualities than the DD-12. Dont get me wrong the Digital Drive series is also top of the line, but for that range of sub, your better off with the Depth. Perhaps your best bet is to sell your other speakers and buy the Vantages, they have a powered driver and will get you into the big game! But of course, maybe save your money all together and buy the Summits... GO SUMMITS! GO SUMMITS GO!!!

Last edited:
I have a pair of Summits and a Descent i. I am very pleased with the sub, but only use it as the LFE channel in Home Theater or multi channel SACD or DVD-A.

For normal two channel, music it stays off. The Summits go down to 25 HZ flat and 20 HZ a few db down. No subwoofer required. Save your money and buy the Summits.

True, if you are looking for something with a smaller footprint then the Depth is the sub for you. It is about 1/3 the size of the DD-15 and is an awesome piece of gear and I feel it has better qualities than the DD-12. Dont get me wrong the Digital Drive series is also top of the line, but for that range of sub, your better off with the Depth. Perhaps your best bet is to sell your other speakers and buy the Vantages, they have a powered driver and will get you into the big game! But of course, maybe save your money all together and buy the Summits... GO SUMMITS! GO SUMMITS GO!!!

Yeah, if I had the space and budget, I'd get the summits. But for now, I'll stick with what I have. Otherwise, would you mind going into a bit more detail in your comparison between the DD-12 and the Depth? Both are servo controlled, and are also fundamentally completely different designs.

Also, did you ever consider the Descent in lieu of your DD-15? I'm guessing that the output and quality wouldn't be too far off.

I just did a quick back-of-the-napkin calculation and the DD-15 has slightly more displacement than the Descent: 283 vs. 309 in of displacement, respectively. This is based on 3 10" drivers, each with 1.2" excursion for the Descent and a single 15" driver with 1.75" excursion for the DD-15. Formula is pi(r^2)(# of drivers)(xMax).

I just did a quick back-of-the-napkin calculation and the DD-15 has slightly more displacement than the Descent: 283 vs. 309 in of displacement, respectively. This is based on 3 10" drivers, each with 1.2" excursion for the Descent and a single 15" driver with 1.75" excursion for the DD-15. Formula is pi(r^2)(# of drivers)(xMax).

The DD-15 may have a little more displacement than the Descent or Depth but both project sound in three opposing directions rather than one as in traditional subs. This counterbalances any cabinet vibrations and I suspect this helps them blend into the room a little better than a single cone sub. The design certainly doesn't hurt.

Buying a sub new is a good idea. A warranty is desirable and shipping is more costly and riskier for subs. The prices on used subs haven't been quite low enough for me to make buying used worthwhile. However, a local purchase could change that.

Last edited:
I'm relatively new into the hi-fi audio scene, but after I heard the Summits last week I was instantly drawn in. While I already have decent speakers (and don't have the room for the Summits yet), I'm looking to get a subwoofer to round out my 2 channel system.

I heard the Depth i and was pretty impressed. I still can't get over how such small drivers can go so deep. A local dealer here on the east coast has a demo unit on sale for $300 off MSRP (Apparently it's got one of the exclusive wood trims). Also I prefer to buy new simply because of the warranty and free repair service that comes along with it should something go wrong.

But, for around the same budget I could also get a REL 301, Velodyne DD-12 (Open box), any SVS sub, the Paradigm Seismic 10, or the Sunfire True Subwoofer EQ.

I generally perfer a smaller footprint over a larger footprint, but still want decent extention and output. My next choice in this price range would probably be a DD-12. AVTalk has some revealing metrics from their test reports.

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to listen to all of these subs. Can anyone, who has experiance with these subs, give some insight/opinions?

I have heard both REL and ML and both were very good, but never did A/B comparisons. My dealer swears by REL for its ability to disappear like no other brand. They recently dropped Logan, but when they carried both, they claim to have sold more REL subs to Logan owners that Logan subs. ( I do want to add that they sell Velodyne also.)

Last edited:
i have owned some of the subs mentioned here (the descent, sunfire signature, and rel strata III) in all different systems. the descent is in my current 2 channel system, the rel was in my old 2 channel system.

-the sunfire was very good for home theater buts thats pretty much it.
-the rel did blend/disappear but didnt 'hit" or go very low (hey it is a single 10')
-the descent goes low and disappears.

granted the descent is the most $$$ of the bunch but it is intensely musical and does really well for a single cabinet sub imo...

I have a pair of Summits and a Descent i. I am very pleased with the sub, but only use it as the LFE channel in Home Theater or multi channel SACD or DVD-A.

For normal two channel, music it stays off. The Summits go down to 25 HZ flat and 20 HZ a few db down. No subwoofer required. Save your money and buy the Summits.

You're the first person I've read on a forum that claims your speakers can play lower than a subwoofer? How many db down are they at 20HZ I've had many different speaker systems including my Odyssey's which I no longer have in my room over the years and they all benefitted from the addition of a subwoofer.

You're the first person I've read on a forum that claims your speakers can play lower than a subwoofer? How many db down are they at 20HZ I've had many different speaker systems including my Odyssey's which I no longer have in my room over the years and they all benefitted from the addition of a subwoofer.

The specs on the Summits state Frequency Response: 24–23,000 Hz ± 3dB. I have checked mine with the Stereophile test CD and a RS meter and can confirm that. I am about -10 db at 20Hz It drops off fast but it is there.

Back