info from a new member

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nokmuay

Reaction score
i am a new member living in new jersey. 5 years ago a friend was selling a pair of ml cls IIs, along with an awesome system, so what the heck i bought it, i had not upgraded my system for 15 years. the system i bought consists of a pair of sonic frontier power 3s, also sonic frontier sft 1 transport, sfd mk2 power, line 3 power, and a line 3 pre-amp. i added a ml depth sub. it is spectacular with all music. i am looking forward to some good and informative discussions.
regards fred

Attachments

• DCP_1323.JPG
    DCP_1323.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 160
Are you aware that you also scored a pair of original Arcici stands?

BTW, if you or your wife ever feel like 'rearranging the furniture', putting the Depth in the middle will yield spectacular audio dividends :bowdown:

thanks

thanks for the info, i had no idea the stands were not part of the speakers.
also i am planning to put another depth in the system, behind the right side speaker.

thanks for the info, i had no idea the stands were not part of the speakers. also i am planning to put another depth in the system, behind the right side speaker.
Hi, I had a feeling you thought the stands 'came with' because of when you bought the system. One Depth in the middle is the preferred complement to a pair of CLS's (in all but the biggest room.) It only needs to operate below 35Hz to perfectly blend with the CLS panels, so stereo directionality (under 100Hz) is really not an issue. Have a look at my system.

Even where you presently have your Depth, set the phase to 90 degrees (which matches the sub's position halfway between the front and back of the panels) and the crossover to 35 Hz. Turn the 25Hz level control off (to start with) and slowly raise the main level control until you just think you can hear the sub. Then raise it another notch ot two. Then raise the 25Hz level until you hear/feel a 'thump' in the lower bass region and then turn it back a notch. Good Luck! --Neil

Last edited:
info

that is a big help to me, i just obtained the depth and wasn't sure about the settings. i will say that my room is a bit of a problem, it has an 18' ceiling, and is 15' x 26', not the ideal size for optimum sound.
do you still think one depth will do?
thanks

Love the stands! If you have the room open them babies up, spread them out. In my room they sound best when at least 5 to 6 feet apart with very little toe. I tend to find that with most Logans including the CLS that if you sit double the distance from the panels as they are wide (inside panel edge to edge) you get a great sense of depth. Especially if you can get them out from the wall more than 4 feet.

Again this is just my taste with them , most like the Cardas rule or the equilateral triangle method. Experiment at your own will, these are the best speakers that you will ever have for detail and precision. Give them time to find a home as they can be a bit daunting with placement.

Good Luck and enjoy !

that is a big help to me, i just obtained the depth and wasn't sure about the settings. i will say that my room is a bit of a problem, it has an 18' ceiling, and is 15' x 26', not the ideal size for optimum sound. do you still think one depth will do?
thanks
Yes you have a big room (it's a big volume). If it were normal 9' ceiling, it would be 22 x 35! In your case, you are right on the cusp I'd say. If you include HT, or listen to a lot of music with heavy bass (not older rock, interestingly) then you might want two. Hard to say.

I also noticed the right panel is close to a wall and the left isn't. If you can't find a way/place that affords an architecturally symmetrical environment, you should treat the right wall with some serious absorbtive material (like heavy velvet floor-to-ceiling drapes or elevator packing blankets ;-) That will help level the acoustic playing field.

Last edited:
info

thanks again, appreciate the advise, i will experiment with different positions, but i must say as they are, they sound awesome.
fred

Back