CLS Bound ............A trip to KC for pick up..

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C.A.P

Reaction score
As most of you know I have made agreements to purchase some CLS . I will be flying out to Kansas City Thursday and picking them up. I will stop at Martin Logan plant Thursday and do a tour, (Ill do my best to pry the CLX info out). I have talked with Jim Power and we will meet and go over any upgrades I need. I am really excited to get these speakers as I have always been envious and admired this design.

These are the rosewood frames and they are in great condition. I think these will fit in with my ideas where I want to put them. I may be designing a new sub around them. I will demo a DepthI as it seems to be a favorite among the CLS users. If it pans out to be what I like Ill go with it. I will look into some stands . I will probably make them as I have welding equipment and the skills,(Ill post pics if I do).
I will keep you all posted on the travel. I leave Thursday 6:00 am for KC and will do a tour at ML and then pick them up. :D

Wish me luck ;)

Sounds like a great trip, CAP... I don't think that post for the CLS's was up very long before you pounced! They look sooo cool and I bet they will sound awesome when you get them set to your standards.

Good luck and have fun for all of us here in Crazy Town.

I'm real curious about the new CLX's because if they are really good there might be some good deals here for used Summits! :) :) :)

Satch

Chris, good luck on the trip.

Stopping by the factory is a great experience. You'll love it.
Don't spend too much time in the wood shop there ;-)

Cheers,

Jonathan

Congarts CAP. Sounds like a great trip. Keep us posted on what Jim says about any upgrades available for them. I'm sure you will be very happy with them they are amazingly transparent.
After looking at the pics again of your new red rehab. I noticed the blue masking on the floor. You will have a lot more of that before you are finished.
My wife has just become accustomed to seeing it on the floor in the TV/music room.
Where in Mich. are you. I still have family in Detroit area we see every year. Like to see your system if possible when we are up there sometime

Congarts CAP. Sounds like a great trip. Keep us posted on what Jim says about any upgrades available for them. I'm sure you will be very happy with them they are amazingly transparent.
After looking at the pics again of your new red rehab. I noticed the blue masking on the floor. You will have a lot more of that before you are finished.
My wife has just become accustomed to seeing it on the floor in the TV/music room.
Where in Mich. are you. I still have family in Detroit area we see every year. Like to see your system if possible when we are up there sometime

Any time just let me know . I am about a hour and half out of Detroit. In Lapeer.

Chris,
Don't forget your camera. Post some picks of both your new babies and some of your ML tour.

You know I will;) May be some SPY shots of the infamous CLX:D

OK , I just left the Martin Logan plant! It was fun meeting Jim Power and putting a face to a voice. Upon walking into the door and waiting a few minutes the President of Martin Logan came out and introduced himself. What a nice man he was. We chatted for about 45 min about everything from Martin Logan's to wood working to Harley Davidson. What President of a company would give a visitor the time of day? That is what makes Martin Logan the champ at public relations and Customer support. They truly do appreciate their customers and will do anything they can to please them and make them happy. I will be heading out this evening to look at the CLS. If all works out I will be back at Martin Logan in the AM for a x-over tweak that Jim Power will do himself. Again, What customer service! They love these speakers like they are their own kids. Even if it is a 20 year old design. They will always support them if they can.

I was able to snap a few pics but they are just of some custom Summits. Ill post them up tomorrow if I get any more. :rocker:

Not a whole lot on the CLX . Its hush hush ........;)

Chris, it will be interesting to see how you integrate the CLS with your Quests. Visually the rosewood should go great with the red of the Quest rails; sonically ??? . Or are you planning 2 separate systems ?

Chris, it will be interesting to see how you integrate the CLS with your Quests. Visually the rosewood should go great with the red of the Quest rails; sonically ??? . Or are you planning 2 separate systems ?

I am the proud owner of one of Martin Logans Finest... :D

The CLS :bowdown: These are the CLS I . They are the ROSEWOOD frames. There was less than 10 to 15 ever made according to Jim Power. They are in great condition. The panels are in great shape, they both were withing+- 1db of each other with the Rat Shack SPL meter. The X-overs will go in tomorrow morning for a few tweaks. Here is a pic from a phone camera. I will get pics of them set up when I get back.

Initial listening was done with a Pioneer receiver(its all the ex owner had) with Nora Jones. The room was very small and did not even give them any room to breath. This I can tell you. There is bass. Detailed bass. Its not shake the room bass, but its as detailed as I think I have heard. It reminds me of the big Maggies type of bass. The Vocals at low volume had as much detail as they did at louder volumes. I am really excited to get these paired with my Krell so they have some current and room to show off. DID I SAY THESE THINGS ARE MORE IMPRESSIVE IN PERSON THAN IN PICS. There is just something about a all panel speaker that makes your friends say " Man these sound sweet ,where is the music coming from?" as they look around the room for the boxes.

I think the WAF will be much greater (not that it really mattered ). I will be pairing them with a sub ,I do not know if I will use the big servo sub as it will be paired with the Quest's for HT. I have a Sunfire that is fast and transient. I may try it and if it does not meet my expectations I may look at a new design for my next sub project ! If these work out in the room I want them to I could go IB.

Stay tuned . I may have to do the cannonball run from KC to MI as I wont ship them with a Universal Parcel Salvage or Fed-Wrex.

Attachments

• DSCN0990.JPG
    DSCN0990.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 368
  • X-over CLS2.JPG
    X-over CLS2.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 369
I am the proud owner of one of Martin Logans Finest... :D

Congratulations! They look awesome.

… I may look at a new design for my next sub project ! If these work out in the room I want them to I could go IB. …

Yeah ‘bro, come join the deep side of IB bass. Ye shall never lack for bass or suffer from power compression evils. Thine CLS shall sing and thy room shall rock.

Great speakers, great trip!!

The CLS is really a magic speaker. I really miss mine. Maybe in a couple of years when we get a bigger house with room for one more system!!!

If I might ask, what do a pair of CLS's go for these days? I know there are a couple variations on the theme... I had CLS II's.

thanks!

Safe trip home with your new speakers.....

Initial listening was done with a Pioneer receiver(its all the ex owner had) with Nora Jones. The room was very small and did not even give them any room to breath. This I can tell you. There is bass. Detailed bass. Its not shake the room bass, but its as detailed as I think I have heard.
Welcome to the Club - Make sure to give Vinnie the correct password when you are at the door - our club does not do handshakes :bowdown:

The bass with the CLS is great, just not the normal chest thumping which most think of as bass. When you get them up and running get some good stand up bass tracks running and you will sit there in amazement.

DID I SAY THESE THINGS ARE MORE IMPRESSIVE IN PERSON THAN IN PICS. There is just something about a all panel speaker that makes your friends say " Man these sound sweet ,where is the music coming from?" as they look around the room for the boxes.
Same when people come hear my system. Most hear this wall of sound and ask which speakers are playing along with the one in the middle (center channel). I tell them it is just the two panels and they are amazed.

Stay tuned . I may have to do the cannonball run from KC to MI as I wont ship them with a Universal Parcel Salvage or Fed-Wrex.
I drove 9 hours for mine as I had the same sentiments on shipping them as you do.

BTW, be prepared to not sleep much the first week or so as you will sit there for hours on end just listening to music and more music and then more music and all of a sudden it is time to go to work :eek: and you have been up all night.

As Lugano said (where is he anyway...) these speakers are an endpoint, not just another blip on the radar.

These truly are amazing speakers - both from an aesthetic and audible standpoint. Just wait until you get them matched up with quality electronics (maybe a sub if you think it is necessary) and some room treatments.

Post more pictures soon!!!

Erik

Heading over to Martin Logan for some tweaks. I will figure out my shipping details or if Im gonna do the Cannonball..........

Great looking speakers!!! :bowdown:

Talk to Jim P. maybe for a few $ ML can ship the speakers to you. I have to think ML has a good shipping dept.

Heading over to Martin Logan for some tweaks. I will figure out my shipping details or if Im gonna do the Cannonball..........
Did Jim say what tweaks/upgrades he would do and/or what they were for?
I also agree that having ML at least pack them in the custom CLS boxes (which are very clever BTW) would be a good idea.

Back