Help in deciding cables for ML - two choices....

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattsl3

Reaction score
OK, Question? I am replacing my Audioquest cable and narrowed it down to M.I.T cables (shotgun S1 for the speakers and S1 interconnectors) OR XLO cables (the Ultra 12 speaker cables and ultra intercon. What would you guys recommend? I like my music to sound fast, very detailed and open. I will be using it in my Krell and Martin Logan set-up.

Thanks for your input, :music:
Matt

FWIW - Transparent cables are a bit less detailed than some of the competition. I used to use MusicWave 2 and found it a bit too laid back with my ARC tubed components. It may well suit your stuff better. The only way to really tell is to find a dealer who will let you borrow stuff until you decide what sounds best with your particular components. Cables, like most other audio compnents, are completely system and room-dependent. BTW - cables that are silver in composition tend to sound a bit brighter, in general.

I really like the DH Labs cables. They are great! They beat out many very high dollar cables for a fraction of the cost. Spend more if you wish but.....

FWIW - Transparent cables are a bit less detailed than some of the competition. I used to use MusicWave 2 and found it a bit too laid back with my ARC tubed components. It may well suit your stuff better. The only way to really tell is to find a dealer who will let you borrow stuff until you decide what sounds best with your particular components. Cables, like most other audio compnents, are completely system and room-dependent. BTW - cables that are silver in composition tend to sound a bit brighter, in general.

If the Musicwave is laid back I won't like them! I do not want a laidback cable. Do you know the characteristics of Mit cable?

If you want quick, detailed and open, try Mapleshade. Definitely not laid back and have these qualities in spades. That's why I like them and they will fit your "voicing" requirements.

Google Mapleshade for product options. Although unorthodox, great bang for the buck. 30 day money back on all non custom items. 888.236.2753.

If you want to try various options, contact FATWYRE aka the Cable Company. They have a vast lending library. 800.328.9973.

GG

PS: Have had MIT interconnects in my system. Definitely prefer Mapleshade. However, this may depend on the specific MIT cable.

Last edited:
If you want quick, detailed and open, try Mapleshade. Definitely not laid back and have these qualities in spades. That's why I like them and they will fit your "voicing" requirements.

Google Mapleshade for product options. Although unorthodox, great bang for the buck. 30 day money back on all non custom items. 888.236.2753.

If you want to try various options, contact FATWYRE aka the Cable Company. They have a vast lending library. 800.328.9973.

GG

PS: Have had MIT interconnects in my system. Definitely prefer Mapleshade. However, this may depend on the specific MIT cable.

Gordon - what did you have prior to the Mapleshade...

Do you know the characteristics of Mit cable?

Yes.......WAY over priced !! Sorry I couldn't help myself !

Truthfully, IMO, why anyone would want anything other than the most neutral and transparent cable is beyond me. Trying / expecting cables to make up for equipment / room shortcomings makes no sense in my book, other than the last little "tweek" that is/was not addressed in equipment and room acoustics, and that does not require one to spend 'silly money' !

So, with all this being said, again, IMO, it is not nescessary to spend MIT $$$ to achive the above. I second "jt's" advise, DH Labs, no-nonesense quality cables.

Truthfully, IMO, why anyone would want anything other than the most neutral and transparent cable is beyond me. Trying / expecting cables to make up for equipment / room shortcomings makes no sense in my book, other than the last little "tweek" that is/was not addressed in equipment and room acoustics, and that does not require one to spend 'silly money' !

I totally agree with you there, Dave. I think the cable business has gotten way out of hand just because people are willing to treat it like another component and spend thousands on cables without considering that they might get just as good sound with a lot less cash outlay.

I am not knocking the quality of MIT or anyone else, but it just blows my mind that people are willing to pay these kinds of prices for cables. Did I mention, they are just cables? Some copper or silver wire running through some form of insulation, with a couple of connectors on the ends. I don't care how fancy you get or what kind of R&D you have, it just doesn't justify charging thousands of dollars for a pair of cables, IMHO.

Fortunately, for those of us who want a decent cable, there are some quality choices out there at reasonable prices. I personally prefer Signal Cable, particularly the Silver Resolution series. They are high quality cables and reasonably priced (for silver cables). And Frank publishes the Capacitance, Resistance, and Inductance measurements for all of his cables, which is more than most manufacturers will do. Blue Jeans Cable also sells some good cable at reasonable prices.

I don't recommend buying cables just on someone else's recommendation though, as the sound you will get is entirely system dependent and somewhat subjective. What one person perceives as laid back on their system, you may think is highly detailed on yours. A good place to get lots of information and try different cables on audition is The Cable Company. Good luck with it.

The endless cable debate still goes on......The main topics are always:

1. Copper, Silver, Hybrid: Each "usually" has their type of sound - but do not confuse type of wire with type of sound
2. Cable Topology: Twists, dialectric, shielding, LRC, connector type, etc
3. Cable Cost: How much are you willing to pay

Each cable, IMO, has their own sound signature. One has to determine which type of sound you are looking for in the price range you are looking to pay.

I have listened to many different manufactures cables in my setup: DH Labs, DIY Belden, Signal Cable, Monster, Nordost, Rad Shack, Audioquest, MIT, JPS Labs, Tara Labs, Kimber, and Zu Cable to name a few. I have found what I like best and no matter what I paid for them, it is what I like.

It does not matter if the people who think paying anything more than Rad Shack cable price agree or not, I like it in my setup - the bottom line.

Rich makes a good point in that The Cable Company will be able to give you a wide range of cables to try out and see what you like. If you like the $5000 IC, then buy it, if you like the $20 IC, then buy it - it is really as simple as that, and should not be made any more difficult.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back