Cary SLP-05 tube rolling...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtwrace

Reaction score
I know I'm nuts but so are you. :eek: I haven't even recieved the pre yet but am planning on having fun. So, have any of you tube rolled this pre? If so, what did you try for tubes?

I know I'm nuts but so are you. :eek: I haven't even recieved the pre yet but am planning on having fun. So, have any of you tube rolled this pre? If so, what did you try for tubes?

Ha ha, great intro! It's funny, I've been thinking about doing some tube rolling myself. What I've done is look at reviews of my equipment (phono amp and power amp) to see what some of the reviewers have rolled. That gave me some ideas on where to start. Another thing is to contact the manufacturer and find out what they suggest. The main thing is to have fun with it and learn a little bit about tubes in the process.

Ha ha, great intro! It's funny, I've been thinking about doing some tube rolling myself. What I've done is look at reviews of my equipment (phono amp and power amp) to see what some of the reviewers have rolled. That gave me some ideas on where to start. Another thing is to contact the manufacturer and find out what they suggest. The main thing is to have fun with it and learn a little bit about tubes in the process.

thanks for your input...I looked at one reviewer who said they use this certain tube. I called Upscale Audio but he will NOT sell me those tubes. "I'm saving those for my customers who buy there preamps from me." Sorry. I have an idea but it will be $600 for all the tubes. Ouch!!!

I called Upscale Audio but he will NOT sell me those tubes. "I'm saving those for my customers who buy there preamps from me."

Wow. I ordered and received some Groove Tubes Gold series 12AX7s from Upscale Audio. I was never asked if I purchased anything from them, which I haven't. I didn't talk to anyone there, just used their website.

Wow. I ordered and received some Groove Tubes Gold series 12AX7s from Upscale Audio. I was never asked if I purchased anything from them, which I haven't. I didn't talk to anyone there, just used their website.

I was trying to get the Pope 6SN7's.

Although, I've never heard this preamp, I really like the looks of it and would expect it to perform up to it's reputation. It's on my list of highly desired audio gear.

Here is how I would tube roll that pre. Use the headphone section to evaluate a pair of the S6N7 tubes on pair at time. You should be able to get a good consistent evaluation through the headphones right? Once you find your favorite pair, then go out and by 8 more of that particular tube. It does use 10 of the same tubes correct?

This is much more cost effective and easier than buying 10 at a time. Make that headphone amp work for you. That's got to be an excellent headphone too.

jt, Gathering info, etc is all well and good but by all means, run the pre in and get used to what Cary has installed from the factory so as to give yourself a "benchmark", then all bets are off !!

have fun !

For a lot of their tubes, Upscale has 2 prices, one price if you bought the equipment from them, and another if you did not. I am astounded that you pay twice the price if you did not buy the equipment from them. Imagine the markup !!!

Popes are among the most coveted 6sn7 tubes around.

I would love to hear what it sounds like in my system - I'm sure goooood...

Jason - I have yet to tube roll the main tubes of my 05. I have tube rolled the headphone amplification tubes and it was a move in the right direction!

Good luck with your 05! Did you buy it yet?

Check your PM.

Joey

Yes, I got the unit coming. I got it in black. Should be here Monday. WooHoo!! I'm going to get it in the system break it in and spend some time with it first. I've got a line on some tubes that are supposed to be pretty good. We'll see and of course I will let you all know what they are and how they did.

Best

Yes, I got the unit coming. I got it in black. Should be here Monday. WooHoo!! I'm going to get it in the system break it in and spend some time with it first. I've got a line on some tubes that are supposed to be pretty good. We'll see and of course I will let you all know what they are and how they did.

Best

SAweeeet.... in all black! Take many pics, Jason! I will help you with the Pope situation, too. :)

Here is the pic of my SLP-05 with the Pope Holland 6SN7s installed. Yes, with Herbies tube dampers. You cannot see the Mullard rectifier tube which is in the power supply.

Attachments

• DSC_0261.JPG
    DSC_0261.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 864
Here is the pic of my SLP-05 with the Pope Holland 6SN7s installed. Yes, with Herbies tube dampers. You cannot see the Mullard rectifier tube which is in the power supply.

So did you upgrade the rectifier tube also?

So did you upgrade the rectifier tube also?

Yes, I did upgrade the rectifier tube. I replaced the stock Chinese tube with a NOS Mullard. Truly the best out there. For $150 it ought to be. The sound of changing that one tube will knock your socks off.

I heard the 05 yesterday in my buddies system. That is quite the pre. He has it in black also. I love the way they laid out the back, you can see they put a lot of thought into it. Enjoy:D

Back