The Vinyl Countdown

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theWB

Reaction score
Interesting article on vanishing record stores.
Makes a good point about the people who use to work in record stores
working there becuase of their love of music. Use to get my new musical fixes through recommendations from the record store clerk or something I heard playing at the store while I spent hours perusing the aisles.
Now I get most of my new fixes here at the MLO Club.
http://cityguides.msn.com/citylife/article.aspx?cp-documentid=5740712&page=1

The interaction with the clerks is what I miss the most about record stores. I would spend hours in the classical annex of Tower Hollywood and pick the brains of some very knowledgeable music lovers and leave with piles of vinyl. I would do the same with the jazz section. Another fave was the Licorice Pizza store in Torrance. They turned me on to Reggae and some other styles that I wasn't familiar with. Sad they are gone:(

Wayne, Good morning, Great article, I know Tim will enjoy reading it for the many years he spent working in a record shop. As for all of us old enough it does bring back great memories, for me there was the "House of Gutairs" in Rochester and "Tower Records" here in Philly.

I do enjoy though hitting up the few remaing shops in my travels, mostly boutique used shops like we had while visiting Lawrence this past summer. I have one near me in West Chester, Pa called "The Mad Platter" , I've scored a few gems out of that shop.

As I've said to Joey, getting into Vinyl at his age he must learn to enjoy the 'scavenger hunt' aspect as much as the playing of the music !

yeah, I don't know if I could go through it again. I feel lucky that there were lots of records to be had back then. Honestly, I wish I would have bought more!!

Wayne, Good morning, Great article, I know Tim will enjoy reading it for the many years he spent working in a record shop. As for all of us old enough it does bring back great memories

You're right Dave, I found it a facinating read. Thanks for posting it Wayne!

I probably have 7000 albums in my collection now. I'm always adding to it, and constantly revisiting it, pulling out little treasures I haven't listened to in a few years and upon hearing them I am immediately transported to another place and time. It might be the season I am reminded of, or the girl I was dating at the time, or the place I was living, or the friends I shared it with. More than any other artform, music holds this power for me.

I worked part time in a record store for nearly 15 years. I would work my real job all week to pay the bills, but most evenings and weekends I was in the store listening and learning. My boss was himself a former musician, and he'd turn me on to things I'd never have been exposed to in a "mainstream" store. I got to the point where he trusted my ear enough that I could open anything I wanted because he knew I'd be able to sell it to the folks that came in. Similar to the folks in the article I had customers who became friends, and the environment in the store was often like a continuous listening session - but while Musicland might be playing Michael Jackson over at the mall I was throwing on Sisters of Mercy, followed by Tony Bennett then Bob Marley, all the while talking with folks about the music. I met sooooo many girls there too (sigh). I still see folks around town who were customers, and we still stop and talk about music. I didn't need the money, hell, come payday I usually ended up owing Bob money, because I'd taken out all my wages already in trade - that's how you build up a significant record collection!

We still have a few great record stores here in Denver. Twist and Shout has a great selection of all kinds of music on CD and vinyl as well as some cool used audio equipment. A buddy of mine from Sweets (that was the store I worked at), has a store called "Black and Read" selling mostly used vinyl and books - but also some new CD's and vinyl. There's also a few good stores in Boulder. But I miss some of the ones that would specialize in a specific genre. Music for All was my favorite classical haunt, and Jazz Record Revival was a place where I felt like I was going to school. The folks in those places knew the music inside out, but both, sadly, are long gone.

I still buy a lot of my vinyl locally, but also off the internet at either Music Direct or Acoustic Sounds. I'll say this though - after spending some time talking to Chad Kassem both at his facility in Salina, KS and at the RMAF he's getting more of my business precisely for the reasons I mention above. The guy just plain loves music and loves to share it. He was pleased as punch the day we were at Acoustic Sounds to just pull stuff out and listen to it with us and talk about the music and the musicians. It reminded me of the old days when I worked in the store.

I miss that, but such is the way of the world.

You know, the article mentioned that the Eagles had chosen to only sell their new album through Wal-Mart. I was stunned to hear that. I've heard a couple of cuts that sort of intrigued me, I was even going to look for it and possibly pick it up, but I'll tell you what, I'm not setting foot in a damn Wal-Mart. Hey Don and Glen - F*^K you guys if that's true!

Last edited:
You know, the article mentioned that the Eagles had chosen to only sell their new album through Wal-Mart. I was stunned to hear that. I've heard a couple of cuts that sort of intrigued me, I was even going to look for it and possibly pick it up, but I'll tell you what, I'm not setting foot in a damn Wal-Mart. Hey Don and Glen - F*^K you guys if that's true!

Tim,
Glad you enjoyed the article, didn't know you worked in a record store, that had to be a great job. You can pick up the Eagles CD at Sam's Club as well or this Eagles website.
http://eagleslongroadoutofeden-preorder.shop.musictoday.com/Dept.aspx?cp=11901_11914

Back