Mono Vs. Stereo Questions

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taylode

Reaction score
As I delve deeper into the depths of vinyl playback and, which TT should replace my Basis 1400. I question how mono vs. stereo playback is affected using a single cartridge/needle. Most folks, I’ve noticed only have one tone arm so I’m assuming they’re using one cartridge as well. Is that much of a compromise? Or do you just not play enough mono recordings to justify the expense of maintaining two? Should I consider getting a TT that can accommodate two tone arms or am I just going down an expensive road that has very little sonic returns?

I think it completely depends on how many mono recordings you have. In my case I'd be hard pressed to use more than 2 hands for the numbers of mono records I have in my collection, so I wouldn't spend the money myself. I'd rather buy more software - which would more than likely continue to be stereo anyway.

On the other hand, if you are a collector of vintage material, and listen to it frequently, a good mono cartridge is the way to go!

I think it completely depends on how many mono recordings you have. In my case I'd be hard pressed to use more than 2 hands for the numbers of mono records I have in my collection, so I wouldn't spend the money myself. I'd rather buy more software - which would more than likely continue to be stereo anyway.

On the other hand, if you are a collector of vintage material, and listen to it frequently, a good mono cartridge is the way to go!

Well as it stands now, my mono collection is zero. But there is a lot of early stuff, including releases of artists like the Doors, that were originally released in mono. I guess I want to know if I'm missing something. Because this such a small segment of an already somewhat niche market, its difficult to demo this kind of stuff. That's why I'm hoping that some of the vinyl guru's can enlighten me.:confused:

Having heard mono albums with both a stereo and a mono version of a Benz cartridge, there is no doubt that if you have enough mono albums to justify the expense, than a mono cartridge is well worth it sonically.

What was your thoughts on a recording that was originally released in mono vs. the same title latter released in stereo? Any preference? Mentally, I would think that a mono should be able to reproduce an excellent sound stage if well recorded. Yes, no?

I don't know much about this subject, but I would imagine that for very early (1950's) mono vinyl records, you would need a dedicated pickup cartridge to extract all the informatiion from the grooves. I think later vinyl was cut differently.

P.S. I used to be very 'mono-phobic'. I would not listen to, or buy any CD/vinyl that was original mono. Now I can appreciate the beauty of a well recorded and engineered mono recording. Original mono recordings seem to have been mixed differently so that the music just jumps out of the grooves, without the crutch of stereo gimmickry...

Last edited:
I don't know much about this subject, but I would imagine that for very early (1950's) mono vinyl records, you would need a dedicated pickup cartridge to extract all the informatiion from the grooves. I think later vinyl was cut differently...

I'm certainly a neophyte in this area, but if I understood what I read then I think the change in cut was accommodate separation of tracks caused by the stereo recording. Which leads me to believe that a mono recording after the introduction of stereo would be cut the same as the older mono releases. Having said that, I could be completely wrong because I'm in my infancy of my learning. But hopefully those that have been passionate about vinyl much longer than I have already been down this road.

What was your thoughts on a recording that was originally released in mono vs. the same title latter released in stereo? Any preference? Mentally, I would think that a mono should be able to reproduce an excellent sound stage if well recorded. Yes, no?

It depends, some albums cut during the mono/stereo overlap era are better in mono, some Blue Notes for instance, and some are better in stereo. I can determine no hard and fast rule about this. Regarding the soundstage monos can have incredible depth but no real width IME.

It depends, some albums cut during the mono/stereo overlap era are better in mono, some Blue Notes for instance, and some are better in stereo. I can determine no hard and fast rule about this. Regarding the soundstage monos can have incredible depth but no real width IME.

Well the no hard fast rule doesn't surprise me; however, the of width of sound stage does. Not sure why it does though. I guess I'm just going to have to figure out a way to listen to some of this myself.

The one that springs to mind for me is "Ella and Louis Together", the first pairing on Ella Fitsgerald and Louis Armstrong. I have it on LP as a MoFi mono, but I also have it on SACD in stereo. It's a wonderful recording and sounds spectacular in both formats. I prefer the vinyl, but I'm just a vinyl guy. To be honest, I don't recall a noticible difference in soundstage width, but I do believe that it's a bit deeper on the lp.

Attachments

• ella and louis.jpg
    ella and louis.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Te one that springs to mind for me is "Ella and Louis Together", the first pairing on Ella Fitsgerald and Louis Armstrong. I have it on LP as a MoFi mono, but I also have it on SACD in stereo. It's a wonderful recording and sounds spectacular in both formats. I prefer the vinyl, but I'm just a vinyl guy. To be honest, I don't recall a noticible difference in soundstage width, but I do believe that it's a bit deeper on the lp.

I find it interesting that you choose that album. I selected it for my first album for our Music Appreciation Night, Tone Audio has a write up on it this month issue, and you use it to describe the difference between mono and stereo -- spooky! :eek: In any case, it's beginning to sound as if this is just another avenue to pursue in the quest for great music playback. Now how can I arrange some auditions...

Back