Silicone for Tonearm Damping

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bernard

Reaction score
I just set up by turntable/tonearm again after having them packed for a few months, and can't remember what I did with the silicone for my VPI tonearm. VPI suggested that I use something called "Motor Honey", but it is not available in Canada. Does anyone have any suggestions as to alternatives?

Something equivilent to Motor Honey would be Lucas Oil Stabilizer or STP additive possibly. Are we talking abount the 'uni-pivot' location ?

.......... Are we talking abount the 'uni-pivot' location ?
Yes we are. There is a well into which the pivot fits that has to have some silicone in it. I already checked the local VPI dealer, and he does not have any.

Here ya go:

Yes we are. There is a well into which the pivot fits that has to have some silicone in it. I already checked the local VPI dealer, and he does not have any.
Bernard, go here: http://www.turntablebasics.com/ and click on 'silicone damping fluid.' Tim at TB stocks 3 viscosities for TA damping troughs, and one extra heavy version for unipivot arms. $10 for 10cc. Sumiko charges $30 for 5cc for an SME V arm trough. Bandits!

Bernard, I'm curious....have you tried running your VPI without any fluid ? If so then I'm assuming your cartridge prefers the damping affect, FWIW my Aries-3 , DynaVector seems best without any.

Bernard, I'm curious....have you tried running your VPI without any fluid ? If so then I'm assuming your cartridge prefers the damping affect, FWIW my Aries-3 , DynaVector seems best without any.
I did try it yesterday and got some horrible sibilance on a female vocal to which I was listening.

I got another response from VPI, suggesting that I use STP, which I did. It cleared the sibilance to some extent. I don't think STP is viscous enough, though, so I will get the silicone from turntablebasics.

I sent VPI another note asking if they could ship me the silicone that they use. They responded that they do not recommend silicone as it is too viscous. I'll stick with the STP for now.

Latest posts

Back