My turn with Vinyl....

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
Alright folks, it's my turn I guess....

Anyway, I've been looking at 3 TT so far:

1. Scout
2. Scoutmaster
3. Super Scoutmaster

Now, I've thought long and hard... and I want a turntable that will last me a loooong time. I really dont want to do too much upgrading, I just want something that is great from the getgo and something I can grow into more than something that will grow with me.

Hope that I didn't confuse anyone there.... hhehehe..

Anyway, so I crossed out the Scout... and am looking at the other two.

Currently, I have struck 2 deals on audiogon...

1. Scoutmaster with Dynavector 20H for $2500 from a dealer with full warranty x 3 years.
2. Super Scoutmaster with no cartridge for $3500 from a good seller, no warranty.

Now... which is better? Considering the Super Scoutmaster will be around $4200 with the Dynavector 20H purchased separately while the Scoutmaster runs at $2500 in this case.

$4200 vs $2500?

Is the Super Scoutmaster THAT much better than the regular Scoutmaster?

Will I have to eat more ramen to finalize a large portion of my front end???

Let me know quick guys.... I can't have both deals on hold for long.

Thanks as always,
Joey :)

Obligatory pics since we're all pic whores....
Scoutmaster
vpiscoutmaster2.jpg

Super Scoutmaster
VPI_Super_big.jpg

Joey, I have only heard the Scoutmaster in a dealers system (not my own). I do not remember the cartridge. Bottom line is I was not impressed that it was enough of an improvement over my old VPI HW19Mk IV to justify a purchase. I am trying to find an Aries to listen to as well as a Superscoutmaster. The advantage of the Aries is price-I can use my Graham 2.2 as well. I think either of these can be upgraded, but if it were me I'd probably spend the extra $$ for the Superscoutmaster.

... I really dont want to do too much upgrading

WHAT? HA HA HA HA HAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAA
R U FREAKIN' KIDING ME, WA HA HA HA HA, OMG, WO HO HO HO HO (SOUND OF KNEE SLAPPING),
OH MAN, WA HA HA HA HA, ROFLMAO, HA HA HA HA, OH MAN I THINK I'M GONNA PEE MYSELF, OOOOOOOOOOOOOO........BWA HA HA HA HA,
JEEZE, STOP WOULD YA, OH HOOOOOO, HA HA HA HA HA (WIPING TEARS FROM MY EYES).....HA HA HA HA HA HA HA, DEEP BREATH, OOOOOOO YEAH

AH-HUM

Yeah, I'd go for the Super Scoutmaster

Joey, Like Tim's reply, I'm somewhat having a good laugh right now myself ! Anyway, regarding your choice, if money is not a concern then yes the 'super' gives you the benifit of the motor / flywheel combo. Keep this thought in mind as well.....what happens if you don't really enjoy the 'rigors' of analog, how much money are you willing to lay out for this expiriment ?

Another option would be to go with the Scoutmaster and incorporate an SDS unit.

As far as cartridges, I've been conversing with Raygun and he has peaked my interest in YXZ cartridges, something else for you to consider.

Joey:

Unless you become a plastic surgeon, you will always be eating more ramen than you want to get hifi...

Me, I keep driving my old 325i and buying hifi. Every time I get a new component, my wife says "there goes your M3 again!"

At least she has a sense of humor!

Joey, get what floats your boat. The Super Scoutmaster is higher up in the food chain, so I say get it if you can afford it. Yesterday, I listened to my plain old Scout with a Clearaudio Aurum Beta S wood cartridge (moving magnet, not even a moving coil) and was simply amazed at the sound. The reviewers say the Scout gives roughly 80% of what the top of the line gives, so, perhaps each upgrade gives a percent or two more???

I think looking at things more objectively, the VPI Super Scoutmaster may not be the best deal to get at the moment. Not only is it more expensive, but it is also 2 years used. The Scoutmaster, on the other hand, is certified by the dealer to be new and offers a 3 year warranty on it.

And come to think of it... once I get the peripheral ring and the SDS, I'm pretty gold.

Right?

WHAT? HA HA HA HA HAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAA
R U FREAKIN' KIDING ME, WA HA HA HA HA, OMG, WO HO HO HO HO (SOUND OF KNEE SLAPPING),
OH MAN, WA HA HA HA HA, ROFLMAO, HA HA HA HA, OH MAN I THINK I'M GONNA PEE MYSELF, OOOOOOOOOOOOOO........BWA HA HA HA HA,
JEEZE, STOP WOULD YA, OH HOOOOOO, HA HA HA HA HA (WIPING TEARS FROM MY EYES).....HA HA HA HA HA HA HA, DEEP BREATH, OOOOOOO YEAH

I hate you Mr Mitt.

;) :D :p

Alright folks, it's my turn I guess....

Anyway, I've been looking at 3 TT so far:

1. Scout
2. Scoutmaster
3. Super Scoutmaster

Now, I've thought long and hard... and I want a turntable that will last me a loooong time. I really dont want to do too much upgrading, I just want something that is great from the getgo and something I can grow into more than something that will grow with me.

Hope that I didn't confuse anyone there.... hhehehe..

Anyway, so I crossed out the Scout... and am looking at the other two.

Currently, I have struck 2 deals on audiogon...

1. Scoutmaster with Dynavector 20H for $2500 from a dealer with full warranty x 3 years.
2. Super Scoutmaster with no cartridge for $3500 from a good seller, no warranty.

Now... which is better? Considering the Super Scoutmaster will be around $4200 with the Dynavector 20H purchased separately while the Scoutmaster runs at $2500 in this case.

$4200 vs $2500?

Is the Super Scoutmaster THAT much better than the regular Scoutmaster?

Will I have to eat more ramen to finalize a large portion of my front end???

Let me know quick guys.... I can't have both deals on hold for long.

Thanks as always,
Joey :)

You're looking at one table so far. The differences between them are in finesse and resolution, they all have the same general sound. If you want to actually listen to a different brand of table try the Avid Diva with a Graham Robin arm and a Benz or Dynavector cartridge total circa $3500.00 or a Nottingham Ace Space with Ace Space arm for circa $3599.00.

Joey -

First, off if you by the Scoutmaster you will not be happy with it because you will always be wondering well what if. Second, why not buy the best you can afford than you can't be disappointed. Thrid, the Super Scoutmaster is simply a better table. :D Throw the new CJ $10,000 phono stage and you will be set for life. (Kidding about the 10k phono stage, but from what I am told it will be hard to beat). I am such a Conrad Johnson whore...what happened to me? :eek:

We've got the new CJ in for review, it's quite good but not terribly flexible as far as gain and loading goes.

That's my only complaint...

Joey, of course, another way to look at this is, how much money would you like to spend on records? For instance, for the price of the SSM, you could get a Scout and spend a few grand on records! I know that I have spent a few grand in the last six months on records. It's all about the music, isn't it?:rocker:

We've got the new CJ in for review, it's quite good but not terribly flexible as far as gain and loading goes.

That's my only complaint...

Would you say it is the best in that price range? Or do you think that other phono stages out preform it for less money?

Would you say it is the best in that price range? Or do you think that other phono stages out preform it for less money?

As tonepub said , it's flexibility is somewhat limiting given the $$ outlaid. One might argue that the ARC PH-7 is a superior piece given it's greater fleibility and much lower MSRP, also the Aesthetix Rhea should be considered as a performance to price leader as well.

As tonepub said , it's flexibility is somewhat limiting given the $$ outlaid. One might argue that the ARC PH-7 is a superior piece given it's greater fleibility and much lower MSRP, also the Aesthetix Rhea should be considered as a performance to price leader as well.

I guess my question is: which one sounds the best regarless of options or price. I am just curious. Right now I have no vinyl in my reference system. I have a few things to upgrade before I go to my vinyl rig. My son cheap vinyl rig in his system that I would like to upgrade soon but not to a 10k phono stage that is for sure. When I do go to a vinyl rig after I am done upgrading some other things I think I would lead towards the CJ just because I love their equipment.

I guess my question is: which one sounds the best regarless of options or price.

Diamonds, that's a loaded question that will NOT get you a single, sincere, objective answer. Rather, those of us seriously into analog all have what we believe is superb given our hard earned $$ spent !

So........ for me, make mine the ARC PH-7 , but again as said in previous post for 2k less the Aesthetix Rhea may prove to YOUR ears to be just as good.

Remember this....there are far more variables in the analog chain (TT, arm, cart, phono-pre) that a comperable digital front end.

And NOBODY likes CJ more than me! But it's about finding the right product for the right person and their system.

It all depends on what sound you like, how much you want to spend on the table, cart and phono stage as a system and as was mentioned earlier, how much of a commitment you want to make to LP's...

Not knowing what's in the rest of your system also makes it hard to make a suggestion.

I've used a number of Great phono stages over the last few years.

If you are in the 3000 dollar category, The BAT VK-5SE is fantastic. Good gain/loading adjustments, balanced outputs, a bit forward, but very dynamic sound. 10 tubes inside (that means 10 to replace down the road)
$3000 bucks

The ModWright has a bit more gain, is a bit quieter and a bit more towards the center tonally. Tubey, but not too much. Built like a tank, only 4 tubes inside. High and low gain switch on the front and a MONO switch. Very cool.
$3000 bucks

The JLTi is only 2600, solid state, no tubes to replace. Has killer dynamics, awesome bass and very big soundstage! You set gain on the back and it's a two box setup. If the ModWright is 5 degrees to the tubey side of neutral the JLTi is five degrees to the SS side of neutral. Also excellent.

BTW, I used to own the BAT and now own the ModWright and the JLTi....

If you spend more money, and want more than one turntable, the Aesthetix Rhea is phenominal. THREE inputs and you can adjust gain and loading from the remote control!! Very musical, BIG soundstage and great dynamics.

$6000 bucks for this jewel, 12 tubes inside....

BAT VK-10SE is 7500, has 10 tubes and also much more resolution than the VK-5. More slam, punch and a bigger soundstage. More refined in every way, but only one input.

My personal favorite the ASR Basis Exclusive has two inputs that also give you the option of having balanced INPUTS. This will give you super quiet phono operation!!! Solid State but battery powered is incredibly quiet. With a seperate power supply that weighs more than a lot of power amps Ive reviewed, it's got tons of dynamics and resolution. no tubes to replace.

$8000 and worth every penny.

Every one of these are great, every one sounds a little different. It will depend on your taste and system.

I use the ASR with one very neutral, dynamic cartridge for my records that are recorded just right (the MoFi 3.5C) and another cartridge for ones that are a little too bright (the Sumiko Celebration) and a third table with the Modwright and the Grado Signature when I want that really warm and dreamy sound.

But I'm obsessed....

And, oh yeah the ARC PH-5 and 7 are fantastic too! I just haven't spent a lot of personal time with them.
Great products though....

I'm a little late to this thread, but if you're looking at spending upwards of $4K (or less) on a turntable, I would certainly take a hard look at a Basis. I'm a former VPI owner but I think that the Basis 'tables and arm are superior in terms of sonics and machining/fit 'n finish. I went from a VPI Aries/Graham 2.0 to a Basis 2500 Signature/Vector and never looked back. Depending on your budget, you could start with a 2000/2001 Signature and upgrade over time to a 2500 Signature as funds allow. Or just enjoy the 2000/2001 and spend the $$$ on records :p The other nice thing about Basis is that they don't continually tweak and upgrade their products. They bring mature products to market and only release upgrades when they are significant. While I owned my Aries, VPI must have come out with a dozen upgrades to the platter, bearing, tonearm, suspension, motor, etc. When I finally did sell it it was like 3 generations old. I prefer the Basis approach since it better protects the buyer's investment. My 2 cents...

The Scoutmaster is probably what I'm leaning towards now, mostly because of the dealer backing... warranty and setup help and installation of the dynavector included.

The Super Scoutmaster is good, but I feel that it's stretching me a little too much.

My money is only good for a Scout... but apparently I'm stretching for the Scoutmaster as it is.

I have no idea what happened....

Anyway, I was also pointed towards a Nottingham Space Deck with Ace arm.... looks to be a solid performer. The dealer mentioned that he likes the Nottingham over the VPI.

Another is the Basis from the above...

Back