A little squeak...VPI question...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowGEEZR

Reaction score
Ok, VPI owners. I purchases a 45 rpm album, so I could see what all the fuss was about. I have to say, the sound quality is easily as good as and possibly better than anything I've heard on my system. The sound quality is like the recording chain has been removed and the players are right here. The album is Savivity by the Anthony Wilson Trio. As far as the music, it is very technical, but not the type I listen to much.
Anyway, here's the problem. When I move the belt to the larger diameter spindle and press the start button there is a little squeek as the spindle slips on the belt for just a split second. I didn't move the motor, I just stretched the belt that little extra distance. Should I move the motor a little closer to the turntable? A little further away? I sure wouldn't want to do that every time I decided to listen to a 45 rpm record. I'll go experiment, but thought I'd ask for advice from the vinyl lovers on this site first.

Last edited:
Steve, do you give your platter 'a little kick start' before hitting the on switch. Remember with the mass of the platter it takes a little extra trq to get up to the 45 rpm. FWIW, i heard the same thing you describe out of my VPI and by giving it an intial spin by hand it eliminated it.

Steve, do you give your platter 'a little kick start' before hitting the on switch. Remember with the mass of the platter it takes a little extra trq to get up to the 45 rpm. FWIW, i heard the same thing you describe out of my VPI and by giving it an intial spin by hand it eliminated it.

Yup, I agree with what Dave said. Even if you don't give it a push start, it really won't hurt anything, it's just the belt creeping.

Thanks for the responses guys. I was only worried about burning a flat spot on the belt and prematurally wearing it out. I figured it was the instant ramp up to speed of the motor and the delay of the platter synching up. I found that by moving the motor further away or closer to the plinth did not prevent it. I'll follow your advice and just give the platter a push start when listening to 45 rpm records. Or, I'll not worry about it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back