Plinius SA-103 and MLs?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbanger

Reaction score
Is anyone currently using a Plinius SA-103 with their MLs and care to comment on the sound of the pairing? The SA-103 is on my short list of power amps but I haven't had a chance to hear one in person yet.

Assuming it is as good or better than the SA-102, which I along with a few others am using, it should be superb. I can't imagine it not performing well beyond it's price point just like the 102 does.

Assuming it is as good or better than the SA-102, which I along with a few others am using, it should be superb. I can't imagine it not performing well beyond it's price point just like the 102 does.

Dealer told me the 103 and 102 are very similar, most upgrades are external and aesthetic.

That said, if it performs like the 102, I'm in agreement with Dave... it is a great amp. Not a good one, a great one.

Is anyone currently using a Plinius SA-103 with their MLs and care to comment on the sound of the pairing? The SA-103 is on my short list of power amps but I haven't had a chance to hear one in person yet.

I share Joey and Dave's thoughts. It's an outstanding amp, and if you can find a 102 on the used market (I think they go for 2-$3000), jump on it. It's a terrific sounding amp!!

I also want to make mention of the Class A/AB bias switch... this little switch helps keep electric usage and costs down. An awesome feature of an already awesome amplifier.

Joey

I also want to make mention of the Class A/AB bias switch... this little switch helps keep electric usage and costs down. An awesome feature of an already awesome amplifier.

Joey

Yeah, I find that switch an appealing feature. I'd likely keep the amp in Class AB mode while doing informal listening and only kick it into Class A when doing serious listing. That would keep electric costs down and keep my small room from heating up!

Yeah, I find that switch an appealing feature. I'd likely keep the amp in Class AB mode while doing informal listening and only kick it into Class A when doing serious listing. That would keep electric costs down and keep my small room from heating up!

Exactly!

I forgot to turn the bias switch back to AB from a listening session this afternoon. I went out with my GF and I came back to find my room burning hot! I thought the 30 minute default switchback (if there are no audio inputs) would've put the amp back into AB, but I guess being connected to a PC and people aiming me intermittently kept the amp from going back to AB from A!

Man... 500w x 6 hours is going to cost me when I see the bill this month.

Joey :(

Look at the back Joey - mine say 1100 V/A which I assume is the draw in Class A. Could be you have a ground loop - flick the ground switch to chassis and see if this happens again.

Kevin

Does the power output (wattage) of the 103 increase when switching from the class A to class A/B?

Look at the back Joey - mine say 1100 V/A which I assume is the draw in Class A. Could be you have a ground loop - flick the ground switch to chassis and see if this happens again.

Kevin

Kevin,
I'll check it out. I know there's a hum with the ground switch flipped the other direction.

Usually, my 102 switches back so I'm not usually worried if I forget to switch back to AB.. but for some reason, this time it didn't. Must be the AIM... or maybe I developed a new ground loop.... somehow.

Joey

The power consumption of the 103's would worry me a bit. At least they revert to normal operation when not used for critical listening, so I guess it's not an issue...

The power consumption of the 103's would worry me a bit.
Why :confused: :confused: ???? With a proper dedicated circuit installed, there is no issue at all - even in Class A - which everyone has stated is user selectable for when you want to use it.

Why :confused: :confused: ???? With a proper dedicated circuit installed, there is no issue at all - even in Class A - which everyone has stated is user selectable for when you want to use it.

I was referring to the cost of the electricity... ;)

Global warming issues or not, the Plinius SA-103 is one fine looking amplifier...

Attachments

• sa103.jpg
    sa103.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 1,276
AMP Comparison

Hello all, new poster here. I'm planning to upgrade from Aeon i to Summits real soon and since in the upgrade mood, I want to consider amp upgrade as well.

I currently have YBA Passion 600 amp in music system and solicit any insights into sound quality improvement if I change to Plinius SA-103, particularly with its Class A operation. I've read a few posts from ML owners with Plinius amps and people seem quite pleased. Anyone here familiar with both and can offer comments?

Thanks much!

Several folks here are running the SA-102 with their Martin Logans and love the sound. JoeyV is using the SA-102 with the Summits and should be able to give you some insights. From everything I have heard, it is a great amp to match with the Summits.

Back