Oh No!/Oh Yes!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyc

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
Finally got a chance this AM to listen to the booty I plundered at Acoustic Sounds last week when catastrophe struck-pssst, poof, psst, poof from both channels as well as lowered volume-the sound of good tubes gone bad in the Ref 3. Luckily my old Sonic Frontiers SFL-2 was still collecting dust in the bedroom. Plugged it in and WOW. What a fundanentally different sound! The Sonic Frontiers is much more tubey and warm-cuddly even- it brings the performance into the room while the Audio Research is a bit leaner and more tidy. It transports you to the venue. I had not listened to the SF since I bought my Summits and was not prepared for the huge difference in sound. I am shocked as well by how different my system sounds than the one we heard in Lawrence. I think this sort of drives home the point to me of just how transparent the Summits are and how well they reveal differences in associated equipment. I am curious what the Summit owners (who heard the demo in Lawrence) thought about the demo system as compared to the sound you are getting.

Tony, bummer on the 6H30's going south on your Ref-3. How many hours did you have on them ??? Not a whole lot of options on replacing them, what are your early thoughts ???

Dave I just replaced them a few months ago. Hopefully it is just the tubes rather than an actual preamp problem causing it to eat tubes! If so I'll find out how Audio Research services its problems in the field and post the results! Funny but I don't feel I'm slummin' that much with the Sonic Frontiers.

Tony, I agree, those pre-amp tubes should last thousands of hours I believe. Buy all means let us know how you make out with ARC, I would be surprised if they treat you any way but 'top notch'

There several members who have very fond memories of Sonic Frontiers, I believe Tim (MiTT) holds his previous pre-amp very 'near and dear' as well.

Frankly, I thought the Summit demo in Lawrence was good, but I've heard better. Of course, having 10+ people in the room, with one behind one another in the sweet spot didn't help. A little more acoustic treatments might have helped as well. I would also have liked to hear a comparison between the SS vs. tube amp, and perhaps tried another pre. The best Summit setup I've ever heard (thus far) is Craig's, with mine, and ML's demo tied for second. Done right, tubes somewhere in the audio chain really adds magic and depth.

I really wish I could have heard the Acoustic Sounds demo.

As I recollect Craig said he has Art Audio equipment. Only heard these once on a pair of stacked Quads. Seriously wicked tube alchemy!

Tonyc, bummer about the Ref 3 going down, but at least you have a true classic spare pre-amp to use as the back up. I used to have a SFL-1 that was my introduction to the magic of tubes. I still have a warm spot for it. The SFL-2 is a near legendary piece, glad to hear that it still provides musical enjoyment when compared directly against what is arguably the standard bearer today. Hope the Ref 3 get's back up andf running soon, but you still have your tunes in the meantime. Happy Listening!

Tony my good man...

Sorry to hear about your Ref3 woes... hopefully all will be well soon! Are you going to tuberoll the Ref3 just to get it to be a little tubier, much like what you love out of your SF pre?

Joey

Dave I just replaced them a few months ago. Hopefully it is just the tubes rather than an actual preamp problem causing it to eat tubes! If so I'll find out how Audio Research services its problems in the field and post the results! Funny but I don't feel I'm slummin' that much with the Sonic Frontiers.

FWIW - The PH 7 uses 6h30s in the power supply, rather than the amplification stages. At about 500 hours, I started to get a hiss and then a pop from my phono stage. A replacement of the 6h30s restored the unit to perfect health. If your problem exists on both channels, check the 6550 and 6h30 in the power supply.

My thoughts exactly aliveatfive. I called my dealer who called ARC and that's what they said. A 6H30 and 6550 are "on the way". I may try my old PS tubes again while I am waiting. Joey I really do not think there is much to tube roll in the ARC. Most folks I have talked to think it is a waste of money. Plus I like the ARC the way it is-I love the S P A C E I can only get from ARC. I can get better space from the SFL by changing tubes, but at the expense of unwelcome brightness. Boy am I glad I didn't post the SFL2 for sale as I was about to!

Space huh? I'll keep that in mind for when I can actually audition an ARC.

I just couldn't stand it any longer. Reinserted my old tube set in the Ref 3 and the MAGIC IS BACK. I do like my SF, but there is really no substitute for the Ref 3. I am one spoiled, whiney audiophile!

I just couldn't stand it any longer. Reinserted my old tube set in the Ref 3 and the MAGIC IS BACK. I do like my SF, but there is really no substitute for the Ref 3. I am one spoiled, whiney audiophile!

Agreed. Once you've heard a Ref 3, you just can't go back. It is a magical, mystery tour!

MMmmmMMMM... Ref3..... where's the drool icon??

drool.gif

Latest posts

Back