Mcintosh C200 tube preamplifier - My first tube Preamplifier

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjay

Reaction score
Mcintosh C220 tube preamplifier - My first tube Preamplifier

I finally pulled the trigger on buying a Mcintosh C220 preamplifier. I had problem with glare on many cds and I had asked this forums advice. Well the majority of this forum suggest a tubed preamplifier. What a difference. A more relaxed sound, without reducing the highs and without the glare. I thought this glare might have been caused by the Rotel 1072 cd player I have. I was afraid that it might be my speakers also(ML Vantage) but the glare only occurred with certain cds. Anyways I finally hear how a tubed preamplifier can help smooth out a system like mine.

Last edited:
I thought you meant a C220 ;-)

Congratulations! And since you have Vantages:rocker: , you absolutely must audition a McIntosh MC275 amp in between your new C220 and the Vantages. Yer gonna freak out! Read my review of the amp here: McIntosh MC275 amplifier review

Neil

McIntosh MC275 is at the top of my list.

Thank you Neil for your help and advice,

The McIntosh MC275 is at the top of my list when I demo Tube amplifiers at Audio Perfection in Minneapolis in the next couple weeks. I also wanted to demo the McIntosh MC2102 Tube Amplifier. I wanted to compare the difference a between the two. I am finally getting closer to the relaxed but detailed sound I wanted when I first purchased the ML Vantage speakers. I was ignorant about the need for better electronics with high end speakers. I will be investigating the Mcintosh 201 sacd player & the Rega Saturn cd player while I am there to see if my Rotel 1072 cd player could be improved on. Again, thanks for the help. The journey continues.
Jim:D

Join us!

The dark side of the tubes welcomes another member!

Thanks everyone,
I am a little behind everyone on this forum but the it's the search not the find as Son Volt says. I am on vacation this week and I got the OK to start looking for a new amp, cd player and I am thinking of upgrading the vantages to summits. The Vantages would go in my home theatre in another room. I am looking at the Rega Saturn cd player and McIntosh amplifiers. I am not going to close my ears though when I get to dealer and hope to be surprised about different gear. I hope to use the Mcintosh dealers expertise.
Thanks again,
Jim
ps the ok comes from my girlfriend. She doesn't seem to care what I buy and that is kind of scary to a audio junkie.:devil: :D

Update:
Yesterday I visited my local dealer about Mcintosh amplifiers and cd players. I checked out the Mcintosh 252 & 275 tube amplifiers but 1st I intended to check out cd players. The 3 I listened to are the Mcintosh 201, Rega Saturn, and an Ayre 7x? i think.
I brought home a Rega Saturn. I listen for about 10 hours but it too bright for me. The Saturn had great bass and detail though. The Ayre 7x was too bright at the dealer for me. The Rega Saturn is going back to the dealer.
Anyway I decided to change to the Mcintosh 201 cd player and I also decided on the Mcintosh MC252 amplifier. I will receive them this coming week. I hope this solves my brightness issues because I don't know any other amplifier which is more relaxed than Mcintosh.
Jim

Latest posts

Back