recomended LP sources

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NicksPicks

Reaction score
Hey all...
i'm getting into my vinyl again..and I'm looking to pick up some classic rock stuff, wondering if there are any releases/presses I should be looking out for?

looking for:
steely dan
zeplin
floyd
dire straights
blood, sweat and tears
3 dog night
zappa

Nick,

I just got something a few weeks ago from Acoustic Sounds related to a whole new series of re-issues that was coming out and one of the titles that caught my eye was Steely Dan's "Aja" - a proverbial favorite of mine with stunningly good sound in original pressings. I'll look for it and post a link in this thread when I have a chance.

sweet...thanks!

fwiw...ebay I know is a great source, but i'm ignorant with the whole pressing issues and LP weight..etc.

awesome.
I guess I have most of these bookmarked somewhere. I know i've ordered from MD before.

thanks Dave....yet again.

Per my post earlier, just got this in my mailbox a few minutes ago from Acoustic Sounds...

June 8, 2007

Cisco LP
Steely Dan - Aja - ACIS 1006 - $29.98
(Introductory Price, good until the end of July)
"If you were an audiophile in the 70s, you owned Aja." - Rolling Stone, 2001, placing it No. 145 of the 500 Greatest Albums Ever Recorded

And now, in commemoration of its 30th anniversary, Aja IS BACK - IN EVEN GREATER GLORY! Remastered by Kevin Gray, cut at AcousTech Mastering, Pressed on virgin 180-gram vinyl at RTI! Aja has now gotten the royal treatment!

This Cisco reissue has been personally approved by Donald Fagen and Walter Becker as well as Aja recording engineer Elliot Scheiner.

"(Aja) is the most perfect thing I have ever heard in my life. It is a religion." - Gareth Jones, renowned record producer/engineer

Wow, just noticed this in the same e-mail from Acoustic Sounds... more good vinyl coming out all the time!

Rhino LPs
The Doors - Vinyl Box Set
WOW!
A seven-LP box set of 180-gram HQ vinyl reissues of all six of The Doors' studio masterpieces in stereo PLUS a mono version of their debut album! All remastered by Bernie Grundman! And pressed at RTI! The entire set has been personally supervised by Jac Holzman, founder of Elektra Records and production supervisor of The Doors, and Bruce Botnick, The Doors' engineer/co-producer/mixer for all six studio albums. All albums are exact replicas of the original releases, including all artwork, packaging, inner sleeves and mixes.

This set is strictly limited to 12,500 copies! Please note that when this set was first announced the record label misinformed their distributors by claiming the set would be limited to 5,000 copies. That production run was increased due to their decision to expand the offer to include the European market. We have been assured that 12,500 is the final and accurate total for copies to be pressed.
This is an obvious must-have for any fan of The Doors. And how could you not be a fan of The Doors? ...[more]
ARHI 01 - $149.99
ARHI 03 - $187.50 (includes book)

I may have already posted on this before, but you can never talk to much about Steely Dan. I am a self confessed Steely Dan junkie that has everything they ever did. I aleady have nine copies of AJA, but I'm a collector always looking to add to my collection of clean copies of my favorite album of all time. The MOFI is good and the Simply Vinyl version is very good. I personally think the Japanese pressings are some of the best overall. I can't wait to see how this new one stacks up.

Dsc_0172.jpg

Here is a list of some releases.

Code:
REGION	DATE	LABEL	MEDIA	ID NUMBER	FEATURES
US	1977	ABC	LP/CS	AA/TCAB-1006	gatefold cover, lyric sleeve
UK	1977	ABC	LP/CS	ABCL 9225/CAB 5225	gatefold cover, lyric sleeve
CAN	1977	ABC	LP	9022 1006	gatefold cover
JPN	1977	ABC	LP	YX-8114-AB	gatefold cover, lyric insert
NET	1977	ABC	LP	25046XOT	gatefold cover
POR	1978	ABC	LP	MP9001	 
US	1979	Mobile Fidelity	LP/CS	MFSL-1/MFSL-C-033	original master recording
UK	1982	MCA	2LP/2CS	101	repackaged w. CAN'T BUY A THRILL
US	1983	MCA	LP/CS	MCA/MCAC-1688	 
US	1985?	MCA	LP/CD	MCA/MCAD-37214	 
GER	 	MCA	LP	2504 491	gatefold cover

whoa...
nice setup!

Aja...awesome. though I think I preffer royal scam.
that doors box set..., well..there goes my LP budget.
:)

whoa...
nice setup!

Thanks, I do get a little obsessive about gear and tunes. I agree Steely Dan's early stuff is some of their best. Aja was the real turning point for their careers and musical direction. For me the years from 72-76 are the classic sound that I never get tired of.

We must be around the same age, as your musical choices mirror my own. Your list gave me a head rush of songs and lyrics; Kashmir, Go down gamblin' , Out in the Country, Don't you eat no yellow snow...

whoa...
nice setup!

I'm a big fan of "Pretzel Logic" and "Katie Lied" as well... I mean really, even through "Goucho" I don't think there was a BAD album. Can't comment on "Two Against Nature" as I haven't heard it.

two against nature is good, i thought. very processed sounding though...overly produced, per usual.

Great in concert too. I see them every year.
I made a decent recording of a show from the 2000 tour. I had sweet seats (5 rows in front of the SBD, dead center)...but "eh" recording gear. Still, it came out ok.
if anyone is interested in it, i could post FLAC files. It was mastered on a MD deck, so its lossy. but still a good listen.
I saw them last summer and they had Michael McDonald as the opener, who then joined SD on stage for the entire show on keys and backing vocals. It was unreal. and I DIDNT TAPE to have "fun" w/my wife.
I was all set to give it another go last week, but hurt my back and couldn't make the show. My wife went and said it was "eh" compared to the others we have seen recently.
Fagen...what a weirdo. I love him.

dig his solo stuff too. Karmakariad!! I've got an excellent recording from his solo tour last year. pretty much performed the entire "night fly" album, plus all the good solo stuff from the other albums.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back