Listening comments...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowGEEZR

Reaction score
I've just finished listening to Joni Mitchell's album, "Blue" on CD and vinyl, back to back. Both are new releases put out by Reprise, Warner Bros. records. I was struck by how much better the vinyl sounded on my system. There was a "realness" to the vinyl, like Joni was performing in front of me rather than sounding like a great recording, which is what the CD sounded like. What really stood out was that I could hear her voice like it was coming from her body rather than from the speakers. An actual person was singing. But, it wasn't just Joni's voice, the guitars sounded earthier, with more substance to them, also. All in all, simply more convincing!

It seems to me that we're all here because we love great sounding music. I've heard some great sounding systems that cost many times what my system cost, but I haven't heard those systems using vinyl. I wonder just how good they would sound if the source was vinyl? Oh well, as my system gets better and better, I guess I'll find out. The next step for me is add the Benchmark DAC to improve the CD sound. Cheers, Steve.

I've just finished listening to Joni Mitchell's album, "Blue" on CD and vinyl, back to back. Both are new releases put out by Reprise, Warner Bros. records. I was struck by how much better the vinyl sounded on my system. There was a "realness" to the vinyl, like Joni was performing in front of me rather than sounding like a great recording, which is what the CD sounded like. What really stood out was that I could hear her voice like it was coming from her body rather than from the speakers. An actual person was singing. But, it wasn't just Joni's voice, the guitars sounded earthier, with more substance to them, also. All in all, simply more convincing!

It seems to me that we're all here because we love great sounding music. I've heard some great sounding systems that cost many times what my system cost, but I haven't heard those systems using vinyl. I wonder just how good they would sound if the source was vinyl? Oh well, as my system gets better and better, I guess I'll find out. The next step for me is add the Benchmark DAC to improve the CD sound. Cheers, Steve.

It has been my experience that whenever you play the same album on cd and then on vinyl, most of the time the vinyl wins. To be fair, I've never listened to a $10,000+ cd player. That's why I still try to acquire as many new releases as possible on vinyl. (To further qualify, I listen to cds and SACDs on an Esoteric DV50s - not exactly chopped liver.)

Steve, good day, you know I have a few "dups" myself and I can point to some that the Cd is actually better, but I must agree in the case of my Chuck Mangione selection, for each and every one is clearly better on viynl. I atribute this to the fact that the recordings I'm speaking of are from the seventies and early eighties when Cd recordings from analog master tapes were fair at best.....fast forward to todays stuff and as was said in earlier threads/posts.....whatever floats your boat, just relax and enjoy the music !!

It has been my experience that whenever you play the same album on cd and then on vinyl, most of the time the vinyl wins. To be fair, I've never listened to a $10,000+ cd player. That's why I still try to acquire as many new releases as possible on vinyl. (To further qualify, I listen to cds and SACDs on an Esoteric DV50s - not exactly chopped liver.)

That's also what I am doing, acquiring as many new releases as possible on vinyl. I've got to find a place here in San Antonio that sells vinyl. As a side note, I had been taking new vinyl to a friend who would make wav files of them so I had them in the digital domain. I guess I'll have to set up my system to do that now.

Steve, good day, you know I have a few "dups" myself and I can point to some that the Cd is actually better, but I must agree in the case of my Chuck Mangione selection, for each and every one is clearly better on viynl. I atribute this to the fact that the recordings I'm speaking of are from the seventies and early eighties when Cd recordings from analog master tapes were fair at best.....fast forward to todays stuff and as was said in earlier threads/posts.....whatever floats your boat, just relax and enjoy the music !!

I agree, the music comes first, so enjoy, whatever the media.

I like that you brought this up... vinyl, for me.... is the final frontier and so I'm reading up on it and familiarizing myself with the analog side of things.

Soon, I will have my vinyl setup... probably not until the end of the year though, but I'll be patient.

Dupes? How about quads!?

Two nights ago, my friend Michael brought over his just calibrated Technics 1700RS R2R, and along with my Nak CR-7A, Wadia T2000/27, Goldmund/SME-V/Transfiguration W, we A,B,C,D'd :rocker: the following albums:

R = reel to reel
D = digital
C = cassette
V = vinyl

Miles Davis, 'Sketches of Spain': R, V/C, D
CCNY, '4-Way Street': D, V, C, R
Cat Stevens, 'Teaser and the Firecat': V, R, D. C

It is interesting that vinyl and reel-2-reel ended up as the top two pics in two out of three sessions :rolleyes:

I like that you brought this up... vinyl, for me.... is the final frontier and so I'm reading up on it and familiarizing myself with the analog side of things.

Soon, I will have my vinyl setup... probably not until the end of the year though, but I'll be patient.

Joey,

I don't have the best vinyl rig, but it is amazing how much bang you get for your buck with vinyl. I have the least expensive new VPI turntable (Scout) with a lower end (price wise) cartridge (Clearaudio Aurum Beta S - wood). I did spend a little bit on the phono amp and got a BAT VK-P5, which was a huge improvement over the cheap Bellari phono amp I had. - Steve

Two nights ago, my friend Michael brought over his just calibrated Technics 1700RS R2R, and along with my Nak CR-7A, Wadia T2000/27, Goldmund/SME-V/Transfiguration W, we A,B,C,D'd :rocker: the following albums:

R = reel to reel
D = digital
C = cassette
V = vinyl

Miles Davis, 'Sketches of Spain': R, V/C, D
CCNY, '4-Way Street': D, V, C, R
Cat Stevens, 'Teaser and the Firecat': V, R, D. C

It is interesting that vinyl and reel-2-reel ended up as the top two pics in two out of three sessions :rolleyes:

Obviously, you have a very limited sample, but the results confirm most people's opinion. I wonder how SACD would stack up in the comps.

Joey,

I don't have the best vinyl rig, but it is amazing how much bang you get for your buck with vinyl. I have the least expensive new VPI turntable (Scout) with a lower end (price wise) cartridge (Clearaudio Aurum Beta S - wood). I did spend a little bit on the phono amp and got a BAT VK-P5, which was a huge improvement over the cheap Bellari phono amp I had. - Steve

That's exactly what I'm looking to get... but I'm flushed out right now and I am still trying to sponge up whatever is out there to learn about vinyl so I dont feel too lost from the getgo.

Ill be sure to pm you once I get closer to getting my vinyl rig... for questions about set up or what not.

Joey

Hey folks, let's not mince words. Analog still rules. Digital is about convenience and ease of use, not sound. That said the sound of digital has continually improved, but not to the point where it approaches vinyl or reel to reel.

Back