Balance, single ended? Help

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Audioseduction

Reaction score
If pre-amp has both, can I use the balance XLR for my main 2CH amp and the single-ended RCA for my powered sub and the volume will control both?

George,
I think it is either or not both. If one is used the other one is essentially bypassed. But then again I have been wrong before:eek:

Jeff:cool:

George, that's exactly how I've used ARC preamps. Not sure if such a configuration applies for other brands. Cheers.

Unless there is a physical switch to choose one or the other, my bet would be they are both active at all times. What preamp do you have? You are on the right track....and it will work as long as your preamp lets it. Good times. :)

If pre-amp has both, can I use the balance XLR for my main 2CH amp and the single-ended RCA for my powered sub and the volume will control both?

George, Exactly how I have my ARC LS-26 configured.

Last edited:
Both the RCA and XLR outputs on my Classe DR6 operate at the same time. In other words, I can drive one amp with the RCA output and another (or a powered sub) with the XLR output at the same time. The volume control controls both.

Yes, same with my BAT VK-31SE, both single ended and balanced outputs are always active.

Yea, My Levinson works the same way. Try it, if it diesn't work, I'm pretty sure it won't hurt the the pre-amp

Thanks a lot for the responds! I ended up getting the simaudio Moon P-3 and picking it up this coming Saturday. :D It's all class-A operations. Here's a actual pic of it.

moonp-3.jpg

Last edited:
outputs are different than inputs

Preamp multiple main outputs are buffered (electrically separated) from each other and can be used simultaneously. If they couldn't be used simultaneously, there'd be no reason to have more than one set -- the user could always provide an external switcher. On the other hand amplifier main inputs, if there's more than one kind, (usually RCA and XLR, and now sometimes digital as well) are generally not switched (and they cannot be buffered) so the user has to choose which input to use.

Last edited:
Back