aspect ratio confussion ????

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twich54

Forum Administrator
Reaction score
Alright all you HT gurus (Joe I hope you're reading this) "riddle me this" ????

Moma and I settled in tonite to watch "The Illusionist", which according to the DVD case states it was to be presented in 1.78 : 1 Widescreen Anamorphic. I assumed that would mean NO letter boxing since 1.78:1 is the same ratio as 16:9 ! Well guess what.....black lines / letter boxing was present ???

so I'm confussed, does the designation of "Widescreen Anamorphic" have something to do with it ??

Good question...i thought that same...and got the black lines too when i watched that same movie.

I just started watching it tonight. I am looking at my screen and I see no black bars? With a 1:78 movie you shouldn't be seeing any bars.

Last edited:
Alright all you HT gurus (Joe I hope you're reading this) "riddle me this" ????

Moma and I settled in tonite to watch "The Illusionist", which according to the DVD case states it was to be presented in 1.78 : 1 Widescreen Anamorphic. I assumed that would mean NO letter boxing since 1.78:1 is the same ratio as 16:9 ! Well guess what.....black lines / letter boxing was present ???

so I'm confussed, does the designation of "Widescreen Anamorphic" have something to do with it ??
Dave,
you will see the black bars on an Anamorphic version in that ratio, unless you set your tv to stretch or zoom the image to fill the screen. Anamorphic is a term used to describe how the data is saved on the DVD itself, Anamorphic Dvd's are suppose to have a higher resolution because of this. see attached link for a better explanation. Hope this helps:cheers:
http://gregl.net/videophile/anamorphic.htm

Wayne, Thanks for the link, I didn't know there was that much to it !!

Wayne... agree w/ Dave, great link... this audiophile/HT qwest seems to never end... layer upon layer upon layer... which is why this forum/commuity is AWESOME :cheers:

My Pioneer 43" has a setting for full which fills the screen with ana's at that aspect ratio. You just need to switch from wide to full if you have that capability. the picture is not distorted when you do so.

Back