Turntable

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diamonds

Reaction score
Hi All -

I am looking for a new Turntable. I have been without one for many years and am looking to get back into the hobby. I would love some suggestions on what to buy which is less than $2000 street value (if I like it I will buy something that really rocks). Again, this is just an experiment so I don't want to spend to much cash. Let me know what you think would be a good buy as well as what who you think makes good stuff. I was into analog for many years and made the switch to digital. Ready to try analog again. Thanks for your help!

D

Hi All -

I am looking for a new Turntable. I have been without one for many years and am looking to get back into the hobby. I would love some suggestions on what to buy which is less than $2000 street value (if I like it I will buy something that really rocks). Again, this is just an experiment so I don't want to spend to much cash. Let me know what you think would be a good buy as well as what who you think makes good stuff. I was into analog for many years and made the switch to digital. Ready to try analog again. Thanks for your help!

D

I have a Rega P2 with an RB300 arm and Exact cart. I think total on that from a dealer (though they don't do the P2 anymore, so you need to move up to a P3 probably for few $$$ more) is about $1400, so you should be able to get into a P3 set up the same way for less than $2k. Pretty nice set up. I really like it. One of these days I am going to move up a little higher to a $3k-$4k TT/arm/cart.

Diamonds, I'm starting to chuckle a little bit for in another thread the "analog camp is doing battle with the digital invaders" !! Well not really , just a little friendly banter if you will !!

BTW, you should have purchesed my mmf-9 when it was up for sale, in the price range your looking it is a killer set-up with the Benz Micro "Ace". Other combinations in your range include, VPI Scout, Rega P-5, Various ProJect and Music Hall combo's.

I can say hands down I love my new VPI Aries 3, so therfore I'd give the nod to VPI or the Rega P-5.

Don't forget to puruse higher end tables on the used market via the "Gon".

Diamonds, I'm starting to chuckle a little bit for in another thread the "analog camp is doing battle with the digital invaders" !! Well not really , just a little friendly banter if you will !!

BTW, you should have purchesed my mmf-9 when it was up for sale, in the price range your looking it is a killer set-up with the Benz Micro "Ace". Other combinations in your range include, VPI Scout, Rega P-5, Various ProJect and Music Hall combo's.

I can say hands down I love my new VPI Aries 3, so therfore I'd give the nod to VPI or the Rega P-5.

Don't forget to puruse higher end tables on the used market via the "Gon".

You are right I should have purchsed yours. But I was still on the fence. Oh well, you win some you lose some. What do you like better about your VPI over your Music Hall?

Thanks!

What do you like better about your VPI over your Music Hall? Thanks!

Basically.............. everything, but to specific the 10.5i arm on my VPI is a real joy, I'm just now starting to see (hear actually) the benefits of adj VTA, it is also a sonically darker (blacker background, if that's the right description !!) table which is oh so important for instrument clairity, etc.

The sad fact is once you have a very good table, Rega P-5, Music Hall mmf-9, VPI Scoutmaster,Clearaudio, whatever, the cost of upgrading is exponential to the sonic gains that one can expect. Not at all different that the rest of our hobby !!

Last edited:
VPI Scout JMW9 tonearm and $380 dynavector x5
It will set you back about $1650.
IMO best in the price range no questions asked.

VPI Scout JMW9 tonearm and $380 dynavector x5
It will set you back about $1650.
IMO best in the price range no questions asked.

I would like a Super Scout Master at some point...not sure what arm/cart I would put on it... Just like the name as I was an assistant scout master years ago after I turned 21. Got Eagle when I was 14...

I would like a Super Scout Master at some point...not sure what arm/cart I would put on it... Just like the name as I was an assistant scout master years ago after I turned 21. Got Eagle when I was 14...

I believe VPI will upgrade your Scout to a Superscout or Superscout master.
I am not positive though. You can check on vpiindustries.com

I ended up buy a Music Hall 7.2. It is the same table as the 7 but with the arm off the 9. I bought from Roy Hall this year at CES and got a great deal on it. I am pretty excited. Because I flew I had to ship it so I am excited to hear it.

Thanks for all your help!

Congrats Diamond !!! i think you will be quite happy !!

Hi Diamond,

Just a quick question. I was at the CES show on the first day only & was always wondering if some exhibitors placed the equipment for sale on the last day. Did you see that as a commonplace or just at a few of the Venetian rooms?

TIA,

Zzvelik

P.S. After visiting the show, the first item that I thought about adding was a turntable to replace the one I sold a few years ago.

I ended up buy a Music Hall 7.2. It is the same table as the 7 but with the arm off the 9. I bought from Roy Hall this year at CES and got a great deal on it. I am pretty excited. Because I flew I had to ship it so I am excited to hear it.

Thanks for all your help!

Hi Diamond,

Just a quick question. I was at the CES show on the first day only & was always wondering if some exhibitors placed the equipment for sale on the last day. Did you see that as a commonplace or just at a few of the Venetian rooms?

TIA,

Zzvelik

P.S. After visiting the show, the first item that I thought about adding was a turntable to replace the one I sold a few years ago.

It was a comman place. Most things were 50% off or better. Almost every exhibitor was willing to sell their stuff.

I am not sold on the turntable idea yet but I want to give it a try. I will let you know how it goes. I had to ship to myself so I don't have the turntable hooked up yet.

Latest posts

Back