New Tube Pre

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aliveatfive

Reaction score
For all you tube lovers and tube wannabees (are you listening, Robin?): Balanced Audio of Delaware has just announced the release of 4(!) new tube preamps. There's stuff on their website if you're interested. They are (in order of decreasing cost): The Rex, the VK52se, the vk32se and the vk 32. I trust (although I'm not sure) that their current models will be able to be upgraded to the new. As far as I can tell, these preamps will allow you to select the amount of "tubiness" by customizing the input stages to your desired sound preferences. The Rex is a 2 chassis design featuring 18(!) tubes. I'd like to find out if my vk51se can be updated - and at what cost? I'll keep you aware.

Sweet ! , Tim are you starting to drool ???? I for one think there is something very special about the 6H30p tube that has transformed the BAT and ARC pre's into sonic masterpieces !!

Is anybody else using this tube in their designs ???

As far as I can tell, these preamps will allow you to select the amount of "tubiness" by customizing the input stages to your desired sound preferences.

Just curious why 'audiophiles' would want to adjust -,+ "tubiness." Isn't the point to keep it simple and minimize change?

I can understand swapping out and trying different tubes, but adjusting tube sound... hmmm.

Last edited:
Just curious why 'audiophiles' would want to adjust -,+ "tubiness." Isn't the point to keep it simple and minimize change?

I can understand swapping out and trying different tubes, but adjusting tube sound... hmmm.

The goal of the audiophile is sonic neutrality. Some systems tend to the harsh and others to the mellow. These are NOT examples of neutral. Some people practice component "matching" in order to achieve that neutrality. These preamps will cater to all systems and all tastes. They will give you another avenue to allow your own opinion of how your system should sound.

PS - I realize I started this thread in the wrong place. I was in too much of a hurry to post it!

Oh, by the way, Sugarmedia - The method of adjusting the sound is primarily by tube swapping - not by brand, but by type! This is also accomplished in the new Moscode amp.

I'm gonna guess 5-6 grand, based on previous models.

That seems about right. Music Direct has the VK-32SE listed in their latest catalog at $7995, so I'd approximate the "baby" VK-32 at around the mid 5K range. Of course that version won't utilize the 6H30 super tube like the other models - and yes Dave, I agree, this tube has a magic to it that is immediately detectable. When I bought my first BAT I listened to both the VK-30 and VK-30SE before jumping in. It was a no brainer. BAT has a great upgrade path too, so as aliveatfive says, I'll likely check into the VK-32SE upgrade. My VK-31SE started out as a VK-30SE - that upgrade cost $600.00 and took less than 2 weeks. The Customer Service at BAT is easily on par with what we are used to with Martin Logan.

I'd bet that the VK-52SE will be in the $11K ballpark, and that the REX will set you back at least $15K.

Hola chicos...tube be or not tube be?...that is the question!..great gear, as I always said, trust your ears...happy listening,
Roberto.:cheers:

I found my sonic bliss skipping the active preamp and going with a really good passive and a tube amp.

I found my sonic bliss skipping the active preamp and going with a really good passive and a tube amp.

good to know...all I can say is, as I love ML sound, also with tubes...I like warm, right size of the instruments, and the 3D that I get from tubes...it is just my liking. I just found in my junk yard an Audible Illusions pre amp...needed to do some work, wich I did, and the sound is fine...too much bass to my liking, but I can fix it with no problem...also found my PV-5 Conrad Johnson...and it is working in perfect conditions...I forgot how well and crispy highs this preamp had...you made to look for this oldies...happy listening,
Roberto.

also found my PV-5 Conrad Johnson...and it is working in perfect conditions...I forgot how well and crispy highs this preamp had...you made to look for this oldies...happy listening,
Roberto.

Roberto, hola !!! CJ PV5 aahhh my first foray into tube pre-amps !! brings back alot of GOOD memories !!!

Enjoy the music !

audiogon has a bat VK-3i for sale right now, listed at $1095obo. I would really like to get this but have spent way too much on this stuff lately so if anyone wants it buy it quick. It is a great entry-level bat tube pre. From the feedback its from a great seller too.

This is very cool...

What BAT is doing with their new series of pre-amps is very cool. It goes beyond just tube rolling, they are actually offering completely different circuit topologies based upon different tube types on replaceable, swapable modular boards. Here are a few shots of the internals and a link...

http://www.balanced.com/

I lust

Attachments

• VK32SE Internal.jpg
    VK32SE Internal.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 136
  • 5881.jpg
    5881.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 145
  • X-PAKWhite1.jpg
    X-PAKWhite1.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 142
Bad News

Bad news for all BAT preamp owners. The older series of premps will not be able to be upgraded to the new series. This information comes directly from Victor Khomenko of BAT via audiogon. For those of you still interested, a new VK52se will run 10 big ones and a Rex will cost you 18.

For those of you still interested, a new VK52se will run 10 big ones and a Rex will cost you 18.

Jeezus... too rich for my blood.. I think I'll stop at Cary's top dog, the 05 for $7.5K.

BATs for ballers, dude.

:)
Joey

Latest posts

Back