What I love about vinyl....

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiTT

Super User
Reaction score
Went to the Pearl Street mall in Boulder with my daughter the other day. She was in for a Holiday visit from Virgina Beach and she's completely into the Positive Punk scene. So we're strolling along and we get to Barts (a local favorite for vinyl and alternative music). We went straight upstairs where we ended up browsing for about an hour together. She ended up getting the Red Housepainters and I ended up with Sigur Ros "Hoppipokla", Ahmed Abdul-Malik "Sounds of Africa" and Patricia Barber "A Fortnight in France" - all on new sealed vinyl.

How cool is it that I can get new alternative music, newer jazz (the Patricia Barber was released about 3 years ago) and great classic jazz that is difficult to find on CD in the same store?

The "Sounds of Africa" LP is something I'd heard at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest, and had been searching for ever since to no avail. To stumble upon it on new vinyl was GREAT. It is also a terriffic sounding LP to boot, quite a wonderful surprize. Did I mention I love vinyl! Moves me to create a new avitar.

Attachments

• VPI HRX sketchsm.jpg
    VPI HRX sketchsm.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
Went to the Pearl Street mall in Boulder with my daughter the other day. She was in for a Holiday visit from Virgina Beach and she's completely into the Positive Punk scene. So we're strolling along and we get to Barts (a local favorite for vinyl and alternative music). We went straight upstairs where we ended up browsing for about an hour together. She ended up getting the Red Housepainters and I ended up with Sigur Ros "Hoppipokla", Ahmed Abdul-Malik "Sounds od Africa" and Patricia Barber "A Fortnight in France" - all on new sealed vinyl.

How cool is it that I can get new alternative music, newer jazz (the Patricia Barber was released about 3 years ago) and great classic jazz that is difficult to find on CD in the same store?

The "Sounds of Africa" LP is something I'd heard at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest, and had been searching for ever since to no avail. To stumble upon it on new vinyl was GREAT. It is also a terriffic sounding LP to boot, quite a wonderful surprize. Did I mention I love vinyl! Moves me to create a new avitar.

Hola Mitt...if you want to enjoy digital, you have to stop listening analog...happy new year and happy listening,
Roberto.

Hola Mitt...if you want to enjoy digital, you have to stop listening analog...happy new year and happy listening,
Roberto.

That is certainly true Roberto. I'm listening to some silver discs while cleaning but my head is starting to hurt!:D Time to hit the vinyl.

I just picked up an SME V on Audiogon at a really nice price. This mates better than the Graham I was using on my SME 10. Now, it's almost impossible to listen to cds. There are many used record stores in NYC. Unfortunately, quality is very variable. Most of my vinyl needs are met on the 'net.

I just picked up an SME V on Audiogon at a really nice price. This mates better than the Graham I was using on my SME 10. Now, it's almost impossible to listen to cds. There are many used record stores in NYC. Unfortunately, quality is very variable. Most of my vinyl needs are met on the 'net.

Yeah, me too for the most part, but it's still cool to find an occasional gem in the used sections. All of the vinyl I mentioned in my original post was new, and with the exception of the Patricia Barber LP, were each under $9.00. That's another thing I love about vinyl - a lot of it is less expensive than the CD counterpart!

Roberto.

Hola Roberto my friend! Happy Holidays!

Truer words have not been spoken. Just like Risabet, I find I tend to listen to CD's only when I'm doing other things and seek convenience. SACD is an improvement to be sure, but if I'm really sitting down to do some serious listening and have the opportunity to immerse myself in the music I always gravitate towards vinyl.

Hola Roberto my friend! Happy Holidays!

Truer words have not been spoken. Just like Risabet, I find I tend to listen to CD's only when I'm doing other things and seek convenience. SACD is an improvement to be sure, but if I'm really sitting down to do some serious listening and have the opportunity to immerse myself in the music I always gravitate towards vinyl.

I had my Oracle Delphi MK II renew. At Oracle Company, you can buy from them a kit with the new suspension springs, belts, etc. all what it is needed to make it to sing again...I am in heaven, and in trouble with my cd collection...happy holi:musicnote: days too....warm regards from Costa Rica,
Roberto...:cheers:

I had my Oracle Delphi MK II renew. At Oracle Company, you can buy from them a kit with the new suspension springs, belts, etc. all what it is needed to make it to sing again...I am in heaven, and in trouble with my cd collection...happy holi:musicnote: days too....warm regards from Costa Rica,
Roberto...:cheers:

Roberto - as an Industrial Designer I have always loved the look of the Oracle equipment. Please post a picture for us sometime soon.

Happy listening, Tim

Gosh... you guys are making me want to go vinyl....

I'm going to purposely avoid these threads from now on.

Be careful Joey, you already know you have a bad disease and if you start down the road to vinyl you will find yourself quite poor! Maybe when you finish an Ortho or Neurosurg residency, but if you are going to do family, internal, or pedi medicine don't go down this road! It can only bring you pain and sorrow! LOL! :D

The reality is that you can't get better sound than from vinyl IMO, so if you want to get your $ worth from the Summits then you need a good TT. Besides Joey, think of all the ways to upgrade a vinyl system.

Poor Joey! When he discovers analog and the joy of obsessive tweakery he will no longer have time to study. I am glad I didn't stumble into this hobby until after medical school!

Happy New Year all !! Tim glad to hear you were able to get out and about with all your snow, according to my son in Evergreen they have had 10' as of New Years Eve !

Tim, love the new avatar........ahhhhh the mighty HR-X ! I can report that it's little brother the Aries 3 is performing superb. My oldest son got me for Christmas the Patrica Barber "Modern Cool", three 45 rpm LP box set. Some very sweet percussion on this set !

Man I want a turntable so bad. Geez, when does it stop?? I should have gone to medical school just so I can afford this hobby!:eek:

Man I want a turntable so bad. Geez, when does it stop?? I should have gone to medical school just so I can afford this hobby!:eek:

John,

Again, go up to Sound Mind Audio! Brian Kurtz is REALLY into Vinyl! He has TT's from just under $1k all set up and ready to go all the way up to whatever you want to spend! He will even bring them out and set them up at your place for you!

I also would recommend Brian Kurtz and Sound Mind Audio. I met Brian when he was a dealer in Dallas. I took my Graham tonearm to Brian to have it upgraded. He is always totally honest and carries great products. John P, it never stops!

Looking for a record

Hey all you vinyl nuts I am looking for a record. Not sure the label or where to even look for this, but it is THE RECORD that set me on a trajectory for a HiFi audiophile life.

Iso (or Isoa, can't remember now) Tomita
"The Planets"

This is a Japanese guy who did Holst's Planets on synth. It was VERY, VERY COOL and I would LOVE a nice pressing on vinyl or even a CD if available, SACD/DVD-A prefered in that case of course.

Thanks for any help!

Hey all you vinyl nuts I am looking for a record. Not sure the label or where to even look for this, but it is THE RECORD that set me on a trajectory for a HiFi audiophile life.

Iso (or Isoa, can't remember now) Tomita

This is a Japanese guy who did Holst's Planets on synth. It was VERY, VERY COOL and I would LOVE a nice pressing on vinyl or even a CD if available, SACD/DVD-A prefered in that case of course.

Thanks for any help!

There's one available on E-Bay right now. Check out the link below!

"The Planets"http://cgi.ebay.com/Tomita-The-Planets-RCA-1976_W0QQitemZ170065645801QQihZ007QQcategoryZ306QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Here's a picture I thought you all would appreciate...This is called the Vyger AtlantisTurntable. Talk about cool. It uses linear tracking. :rocker:

Attachments

• vygeratlantisturntable.jpg
    vygeratlantisturntable.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 102

Latest posts

Back