Toobs part 2!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
Ok... so... what do I get?

1. Plinius SA102 ($2900 on 'gon thanks to Dave)
PliniusSA102.jpg

or

2. Musical Fidelity KW500 ($3500-ish)
kw500.jpg

Right now... I just got a demo unit of a Rogue Metis preamplifier.... and I've been comparing it to the Rotel RC1070 preamp and it is a significant improvement mainly in image focus (vocals primarily).... and I thought I couldnt improve on the rock hard imaging I was already getting.

So... the Rogue cost me $775 (retail of $1200)... but I can still return it. I mainly got it so I could demo a set of tubes with the 1090, and the results are good!

Brother came by and demoed, within 1x A/B switch, he noticed the substantial difference in vocal focus.

So... here are pics to whet your appetite...
DSC00705.jpg

Check out the massive remote! Cool!!
DSC00707.jpg

This Rogue Audio gear is pretty well made.... no wonder the Metis made TAS Choice award.

So.. here is where I lie.

If I go for the Plinius and I keep the Rogue toob preamp, then that is a total of $3600. If I go with the MF KW500, that is also around $3500.

So what is better for the Summits?

The reason why I am thinking MF KW500 is the guy who initially sold me the Summits had the Summits running off the KW500 and he recommended the combo to me.

Oy.. vey...

Last edited:
mmmmmm - the KW500 is a great amp, but so is the Plinius and Rogue preamp. Listen to both and see for yourself. Personally, I'd be less happy going to an integrated as that limits your options in the future, but it may well sound better.

I agree. My Simaudio intergrated sounds amazing but it does not get daily use because it lacks the system flexibility that I have with my seperates.

No brainer, go with toobs

Joey_V said:
So.. here is where I lie.

If I go for the Plinius and I keep the Rogue toob preamp, then that is a total of $3600. If I go with the MF KW500, that is also around $3500.

So what is better for the Summits?
Metis preamp + Plinius amplifier running in class-A mode!

Spike

I'm going to guess that the image focus of the vocals with tubes will be even more pronounced with Vantages.

The Rouge is cool looking, and I think a steal at that price.

Remember at these prices, the industrial design or cool factor is part of what you are purchasing. It's like a wife or girl friend, "fit & finish" are part of the experience.

Spike said:
Metis preamp + Plinius amplifier running in class-A mode!
I second this choice. Go for the Pre and Power Amp, not the Integrated.

$2850 is not a bad price for a used 102 but remember you also have to pay to ship the beast to the Chicago area. See if the owner will double-box for safety - well worth the extra $$$

Dan

Joey, just think of the "cult" possibilities we have on this site if you pick up th Plinius !!! just havi'n some fun with you, let your ears decide, but I'd bet once you heard the SA-102's up against your Summitt's you would be hooked !!

Joey,
I have to agree. Go with the Plinius amp and the Rogue. I think going with the an integrated will limit you as Amey01 said. I went from the same preamp to a tube preamp and as you see it does open up the soundstage and depth of the soundstage very nicely. I assume the Rogue is new which means it really is not broken in yet and will get better after at least 100 hours.

You are looking at a win-win situation. Just do it and then just sit back and enjoy your setup. :D :D

Jeff :cool:

Hi Joey,

It looks like Rogue and Plinius are the winners here so go for it.
I love the look of the Plinius. I thought Australia and New Zealand were
sisters but obviously we are not as we don't get any discount for the Plinius :-(

Regards, N. Tran

And just in case you weren't convinced yet. . .

I'm sure the KW 500 is a very capable integrated, but my vote goes with the separates. I think over the long run you will be happier with the sound of a good tube preamp, and there are lots of folks on this site that love the Plinius amp so that sounds like a great combo for the money. Or you could spend the entire $3600 on a really nice tube preamp and upgrade the amp next year. . . :D

Dang it... this is soo hard.

On one site, they all tell me go MF... on this site, they all tell me go Plinius.

Daaaang.... what to do...?

*Sits here pondering*

Joey_V said:
Dang it... this is soo hard.

On one site, they all tell me go MF... on this site, they all tell me go Plinius.

Daaaang.... what to do...?

*Sits here pondering*

Hi Joey,

You have to remember one thing : everyone knows MF, it is a well known brand but how many people actually know the Plinius? They may tell you to go for MF cause I have never heard of Plinius???

MF products are very good. I guess it would be easier for you if you had a chance to test them out side by side with your Summits, but on audiogon I don't think it is possible.

pondering...pondering...pondering :)

Regards, N. Tran

Audition the Plinius with the Summits

Joey,

Mick from Quintessence audio in Morton Grove, IL has the Plinius power amp. Also, I heard his Summits (which he now sells) with a Hovland HP 100 tube preamp. It is extra smooth, in addition to being one of the sharpest looking components.

http://www.hovlandcompany.com/products/electronics/hp100/default.html#

I am sure he will be happy to hook it up both components with the Summits. He will also let you borrow it over the weekend, so you can really judge for yourself.

Let me know if you want to visit Quintessence.

Guys and Gals,

Barring any CALAMITY or NATURAL DISASTER.... as of a few hours from now.... you can call me Plinius Joey!!

Dave, Dan.... we have now formed our Plinius Trio!!!

The clan has begun to grow!

Joey

WOW, GULP !!!! That was quick !! Did you purchase from the person selling his on the "Gon" or locally ? Your timeing is actually quite good for two reason, first, I am very confident of the sonic goosebumps it will impart on you, second, with winter right around the corner once you flip that little toggle switch putting it into Class "A" you can turn your heat down in your apartment !!

Damn this is fun helping someone else spend their money ! Congrats Joey!!! oh yes one other thing.........absolutely, no way, DO NOT put anything on top of your SA-102 like you did with your Rotel !!

send us pics of the new set-up, you have done well my young Jedi Knight !

I havent paid for it yet.. just waiting for final confirmation from the audiogon guy.

I sent him an email last night that I would buy it, just have him confirm our agreed price.

I hope all goes well...

Joey :)

Joey_V said:
Guys and Gals,

Barring any CALAMITY or NATURAL DISASTER.... as of a few hours from now.... you can call me Plinius Joey!!

Dave, Dan.... we have now formed our Plinius Trio!!!

The clan has begun to grow!

Joey
Aww, you bozo, you. How long did that decision take you, eh? Too long!

;) Congrats, though!

twich54 said:
absolutely, no way, DO NOT put anything on top of your SA-102 like you did with your Rotel !!
Yeah...what he said.

Give that baby room to breathe!!!!! In Class A I have measured at the top of the heatsinks and case 135 degrees. So definitely give it room to breathe above, below, and around the amp. In A/B mode, I have never felt my 102 get even slightly warm.

When switched into Class A, I find it sounding the best after about 1 hour of time.

Oh and BTW...there are 5 of us here with Plinius as KWR (Kevin), and Abhijit are also part of our cult group :D

Dan

Last edited:
DTB300 said:
Yeah...what he said.

Oh and BTW...there are 5 of us here with Plinius as KWR (Kevin), and Abhijit are also part of our cult group :D

Dan

I thought there were a few more that the two of us Dan, just couldn't remember who.

Latest posts

Back