Anyone here run a reel to reel?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wardsweb

Reaction score
I just went through this Teac X-1000R cleaning, lubing and a new factory capstan belt. While I as at it, I veneered the case in Brazilian rosewood. Vinyl and now tape, I guess I'm an analog guy. Especially true since I'm going to see a guy this weekend about buying another one.

teac3.jpg

Great story behind my Teac... I bought it from a buddy of mine (Mark) while we were stationed in Japan together in the mid 80s. It's been with me ever since. We lost track of each other after my hitch ended. Mark got in touch with me again after 20 years and our friendship picked up where it left off. He's still into high end audio and I told him I still had the Teac and wanted to dump it. It needed lots of work to get it operational again, as it was never really used much. I shipped it to him along with the accessories I still had (stand, maint. kit, etc.) and he spent hundreds of dollars getting it repaired and is now using it.

I went to visit him in Michigan earlier this year and saw it in action! It's nice to know the original owner has it again.

Last edited:
Great story Tom. I love the Teac X-1000R and X-2000R. I think they are some of the highest end home decks ever built. That and I know all their little quirks, standard failures and fixes. The one I'm picking up this weekend has a bad speed switch (another regular failure) so I get it cheap and fix it.

I love reel to reel decks nearly as much as I like turntables. It's a shame good ones are so hard to find now.

Wardsweb said:
I just went through this Teac X-1000R cleaning, lubing and a new factory capstan belt. While I as at it, I veneered the case in Brazilian rosewood. Vinyl and now tape, I guess I'm an analog guy. Especially true since I'm going to see a guy this weekend about buying another one.

teac3.jpg
Hola Wardsweb, I still have running my Revox A-77 four track with dolby and my Teac A-6300 2 track. Still love their sound...happy listening,
Roberto.

Where do you find tapes? Do you record your own? Long ago sold my Pioneer 4 track unit (model escapes me) do to the lack of media.

risabet said:
Where do you find tapes? Do you record your own? Long ago sold my Pioneer 4 track unit (model escapes me) do to the lack of media.
I buy pre-recorded, tape my own and swap tapes with several other reel to reel guys.

Latest posts

Back