Kenwood turntable question

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tube60

Reaction score
Hi everybody
I have a Kenwood KD-5100 turntable, which I love the sound of very much. The other day I was going to play some LP's on it, and I found somebody pulled the needle and stylus off the Ortofon MC-10 cartridge. No big deal, I can get another. The real problem is this: it won't fire up! When I push the start button, the tonearm cues up but the platter doesn't spin. I figure the motor or the speed control is dead. Question is, is this worth having serviced? Are parts even available? Maybe I'm just a sentimental old fool and I should throw it out and get a new turntable! :confused:

Unless your reallllly attached to that table I wouldn't put any $$$ into it. Whereas the KD-500 was very good direct drive piece, the 5100 with it's cueing tone arm was more of a "record player". For not alot of money you could get into a Rega 3 or 5, Music Hall mmf-5 and be far better off, IMHO.

Dave is right on the money. Also suggest you look into the lesser expensive VPIs. Much of this stuff is available used (at very good prices) on audiogon.

It's time to upgrade. Buy a Rega P3 if money is an issue (when isn't it?). With this turntable you could consider one of Rega's own cartridges. They have a three point mounting system so you simply bolt them straight in and play. No VTA to worry about because the tonearm is all set up for their cartridges.

Another cartridge to consider for the P3 (and my own personal choice) is a Denon DL103 moving coil. I use this cartridge with Rega's own 'Fono' preamp plugged straight into my ARC LS25 MkII tube preamp. Great sound.

Next step up is the VPI Aries Scout. A beautiful turntable for the money. You could mount a Grado Reference cartridge on the VPI tonearm. Also around this same price you could consider the Rega P5 - basically an upgraded P3. But for this sort of money I'd take the VPI.

You were vandalized, you must either carry a gun and be willing to kill, or make a lock box dust cover of some kind to protect you from the curious and ignorant.

Killing people can get messy, I'd go with a pad lock and plywood cover. What they don't see can't excite their curosity.

kach22i said:
You were vandalized, you must either carry a gun and be willing to kill, or make a lock box dust cover of some kind to protect you from the curious and ignorant.
Killing people can get messy, I'd go with a pad lock and plywood cover. What they don't see can't excite their curosity.
Us Scots merely head-butt our tormentors, and then break a few ribs while they're unconscious on the ground. :eek: :D
Actually I'm going to put a lock on the door of the room I have my gear in. I have nightmares of one of my sister's maggots deciding that pushing a needle through the diaphragms of my Sequels sounds like a good idea...

Thanks everybody for the kind advice so far! :D
I'll save up and get another turntable; however, I will save the Ortofon Mu-Metal matching transformer for the MC cartridge, in case I decide to stay with that type cartridge. I've also got a Projekt 1.2 turntable, but I don't like the sound of it, and it's got a bad motor anyway.
Best regards,
Ross

Check the Vinyl Asylum

There are many threads there debating the merits of various entry level turntables. I would agree with everyone here. I started with a new Project Xpression with Sumiko Blue Pt. cartridge. Swapped a Dynavector 10x5 for the Sumiko, then moved up to a VPI Scout using the same 10x5 cartridge. I am now done tweaking this system, at least until the snow falls. If you don't go new, the suggestions to find a P3 make a lot of sense. You can get these on Agon for a good price. Good luck.

Back