What accessories do you use?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What accessories do you use?

• Contact enhancers

Votes: 15 39.5%
  • Valve dampers

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Equipment Supports (only ones SPECIFICALLY designed for sound quality (ie.Siesmic sinks, etc))

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • Vibration dampers

Votes: 15 39.5%
  • Power cables

Votes: 21 55.3%
  • Speaker cables

Votes: 31 81.6%
  • Interconnect leads

Votes: 22 57.9%
  • Spikes / cones

Votes: 32 84.2%
  • GSIC

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 7 18.4%

• Total voters

amey01

Reaction score
What accessories do you use in your system? Please don't include cleaners or anything that "restores" rather than improves sound quality.

....uuuh - glass of wine. Bigger impact on enjoying the music. The impact of the relaxed listener in comfy chair with pleasant surroundings is of far more significance than the metallurgy of the supporting cones.

Kevin

I agree...

kwr said:
....uuuh - glass of wine. Bigger impact on enjoying the music. The impact of the relaxed listener in comfy chair with pleasant surroundings is of far more significance than the metallurgy of the supporting cones.

Kevin
Kevin,

Just what I was thinking... :D :p :D

amey01,

Good poll though, Thanks for posting it... :)

The only accessory that I use is the spikes that came from the original owner of my SL3s. And that's good enough for me.

I mean come on, who has time to switch cables back and forth or mark their CDs with green felt markers or place rubber balls under their amplifier? I got 4 kids and a wife and a job. The wife already thinks I am a nut job because I made a diagram of my listening room with settings, distances and placements marked out. Not to mention, if I did come home with $1000 interconnects I would most definitely have to buy the stainless steel dishwasher that she drools over.

Forget all of that and just start listening to the music. You'll like it.

Last edited:
socialxray said:
The only accessory that I use is the spikes that came from the original owner of my SL3s. And that's good enough for me.

I mean come on, who has time to switch cables back and forth or mark their CDs with green felt markers or place rubber balls under their amplifier? I got 4 kids and a wife and a job. The wife already thinks I am a nut job because I made a diagram of my listening room with settings, distances and placements marked out. Not to mention, if I did come home with $1000 interconnects I would most definitely have to buy the stainless steal dishwasher that she drools over.

Forget all of that and just start listening to the music. You'll like it.

Your comments, along with KWR's are interesting. I, personally, don't take the accessory thing too far, however I do use exotic interconnect and speaker cables, along with spikes and and isolation platform for my SACD player. I believe I am about half way down the line - of course if you take your line too far you could say "forget about the 'logans - just quaff a few wines on a cumfy lounge and enjoy the music through some mass-market speakers".......and I'm sure nobody is suggesting that!

amey01 said:
- of course if you take your line too far you could say "forget about the 'logans - just quaff a few wines on a cumfy lounge and enjoy the music through some mass-market speakers".......and I'm sure nobody is suggesting that!

Hahaha! Amey you definitely got a point there. I remember trying to explain to the wife about the advantages of having Logans only to see her eyes slowly glaze over. And also the shocking comment of "they do the same thing your old speakers do...make sound."

So I will amend my previous comments to "if you got the time and the money, go for it." And with that I have truly adding nothing to this thread. I am a troll.

kwr said:

Kevin
Yeah, wine usually for classical, bourbon for jazz and beer for Rock. Oh, and margaritas for Jack Johnson and Bob Marley.

Actually I do use a fair number of accessories (check out my system listing), and have only kept the things that offer some noticible sonic benefit. One of the most significant from a "Bang for the Buck" perspective was placing Cable Elevators under my speaker cables. If you have your system on a carpeted floor haven't tried this you really should. You can use some styrofoam cups to check it out and if you notice an improvement go pop for something more aesthetically pleasing.

Good Poll amey01, but what is a GSIC?

socialxray said:
Hahaha! Amey you definitely got a point there. I remember trying to explain to the wife about the advantages of having Logans only to see her eyes slowly glaze over. And also the shocking comment of "they do the same thing your old speakers do...make sound."

So I will amend my previous comments to "if you got the time and the money, go for it." And with that I have truly adding nothing to this thread. I am a troll.

HAHAHA about your wife! Does she hear the difference now? My wife can at least tell the difference between my system and a mass market system, but can't really appreciate the sometimes major upgrades!

But not too far!!.....I do know some guys that spend more time on the system than the music!

MiTT said:
Good Poll amey01, but what is a GSIC?

GSIC is the ??Golden Sound Intellignet Chip?? - that stupid little orange thing that supposedly "upgrades" your CDs.....haven't tried it personally, but was interested if anyone has. (Maybe they're not admitting it!)

amey01 said:
GSIC is the ??Golden Sound Intellignet Chip?? - that stupid little orange thing that supposedly "upgrades" your CDs.
Have not tried that one and do not think I ever will....but I do use Herbies GrungeBuster 2 on my CD's and that is a great accessory to have for CD playback < $10

I use brass spikes and feet under speakers AND equipment. I didn't like the effects of a glass shelf under the Sunfire amps...sounded too bright or brittle. I prefer wood shelves finished like an instrument...not vibration damping MDF. I also use wood cable lifts. I thought most hi-end audiophiles did but I see many if not most on here just lay them on the floor! Lift to get big...soundstage that is.

Twisted Fatty

My favorite tweak is to tweak my mind... twist me a fatty and put me in the sweet spot!

Remember we ARE winning the war on drugs! Now pass the bong please...

Latest posts

Back