ML ceiling speaker question

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbannas

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with ML ceiling speakers?
I'm looking to incorporate 4 of the IC or R ceiling speakers into my vaulted media room, but am concerned about sound leaking through the attic and possibly beyond the house.
Is that a valid concern?

Thanks!

Last edited:
All speakers are going to transmit sound off the back of a cone so there is a possibility of sound transmission to occur in an adjoining room. Some people have a hard box but that hard material typically does not knock down too much of a back wave and with reduced air volume will compromise bass response and power handling. Also a speaker that has it's surround designed for free air can not sound the same once in a small box. A far better solution is the Dynamat Dyna box. Much greater attenuation of back wave yet it has the air volume that allows the speaker to work as intended. Tt is also retrofit-table so you can do your install, see if back wave is an issue and then add them as opposed to premounting a less effective box.

Thanks for the info, Peter.
That was my fear with sound escaping from the back of the cone.
Dynabox looks like a great solution!

Looks like you're building a similar spec system to me.

I use the Vantage's also for my front L/R and mains stereo pair.

I've been using some Rocket speakers for center and surround duties for the last 4 years, but I'm finally in a position to replace these with an all Martin Logan center and surround set, and I've already purchased some Electro Motion R's for ceiling duties to make my system a full Atmos ready system. I'm looking at going with 4 X Motion FX2's for side and rear speakers, with a Stage or Stage X center.

As far as sound leakage is concerned, every time I've seen speakers of this quality installed professionally, there has always been a back box behind them, usually lined with some foam or a sound deadning material (Dynamat was always popular in car audio for this purpose and their home products are supposed to be just as good), so depending on whether you're at all DIY inclined or have a good carpenter, you could either build a box, fit that into the void between ceiling and floor above, then drywall over it, or have a carpenter in to do this then have the ceiling fixed afterwards. Either way, I think that when you're dealing with speakers of this quality, it's worth at least getting a price (or speaking with any friends or relatives you have with the requisite skill set). I know this is an extra expense, but it's a one off and will allow the speakers to perform optimally.

I hope this helps.

Dave

I've always thought ceilings were a horrible place to put speakers unless you just need an intercom system.

I think most shops recommend against ceiling mounted speakers if you can help it.

Please understand what I said initially. What I am saying is NOT build a back box. Putting a hard material in contact with the wall material behind it all will NOT cut sound transmission very much. The second caution is that a builder or carpenter, if he is building a sealed space behind a speaker, will need to get the specs from the manufacture and the volume will have to be correct for the speaker to perform correctly. This is unlikely. Now, if you have a good carpenter who is confident he can build a box the same for all speakers in a room/ceiling, we can give you the volume you would need to have our speaker perform. Be aware, that will be a bigger box than someone just boxing in the joists. it will also need attention paid to making sure there is no air leakage, no resonance, etc.
The beauty of the Dynamat approach is it is better on cutting sound transmission and will allow enough flexing to be seen by the speaker as a more appropriate air volume. I know this may sound counter to typical markets, but we are after best performance, not to be like usual.

I've always thought ceilings were a horrible place to put speakers unless you just need an intercom system.

I think most shops recommend against ceiling mounted speakers if you can help it.
Google Atmos, Auro or DTS:X and welcome to 2015!:p

Back