CLS panel - old age damage?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ariekarp

Reaction score
I noticed on my recently acquired CLS's, that the panels have separated at the edges, bottom and top.
Anyone experienced this? Suggestions? What can be done to stop this and prevent future separation and damage? (see picture)
Any ideas welcome.
Thanks,
Arie

Attachments

• CLS panel top.jpg
    CLS panel top.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 175
Hi Arie,

That is concerning, as that's a significant gap that could affect the evenness of the diaphragm charge in the areas where it's loose. If it's just due to weakened bonding glues vs. a warp, then what I'd suggest is creating a new frame for the panels that incorporates top and bottom supports that clamp the frame together across the horizontal dimension.
That means those structures need to have curved slots and a design that allows for adjusting the front to back tension on that curve.

It is one of the design weaknesses of the older large panel speakers to not have that top and bottom edge clamped, my Monoliths have a similar open top, and I've been toying with the idea of a new metal-based frame that would allow for adjustable and damped clamping forces in both vertical and horizontal planes. That would mitigate problems like you are reporting as well as further dampen any panel resonances when playing loud mid-bass notes.
With today's CAD-driven low volume or one-off manufacturing options, this should be doable if you know or engage someone with Spiceworks or such skills.

Thanks Jonathan,
This is also what I was thinking of, building some kind of clamping device to exert distributed forces along the inner rim (back stator) against some kind of fixed rigid support along the outer rim (front stator).
I'm still not sure how to implement it.
On the other hand ML support has reasured me that this is no issue and I shall only apply some weather stripping or something similar along the top to keep dust out.
I don't feel comfortable with this answer, and I'll try to implement some solution.
If anyone has practical ideas, please post it.
I will post pics whenver I'll get to do this.

Latest posts

Back