New video for PBK (Perfect Bass Kit) from Martin Logan

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So after the computer perfectly flattens the sub's response, I twiddle the knobs to taste to 'match' the sub to the main speakers? I guess they're getting there...

Well, the software connects to the sub, not the sub and one of many possible main speakers. Yeah, it could be designed to match, but if it does what it was designed to do, then I believe it's done the hardest part. All that's left is adjusting the frequency cutoff point and volume.

For those of us with ML's as main speakers, the forthcoming Balanced Force subs will supposedly include a memory stick with the specific settings to match your ML model. That feature, along with the Perfect Bass Kit, should really help you get the sub(s) "dialed in."

The way I see it, the memory stick optimally blends the sub(s) with your Mains, then the PBK further "corrects" for room acoustics relative to listening positions.

So after the computer perfectly flattens the sub's response, I twiddle the knobs to taste to 'match' the sub to the main speakers? I guess they're getting there...

Yup, the PBK flattens the woofer/room interface and then one must match to the mains through conventional systems. that means PBK first, then what ever master EQ system you may have. Since the sub will be seen as flat, your mains system will not touch it too much.
as to the balanced force woofers, you will download filters to a stick from the website, not have one in the box preloaded. it will take time to do all the products and some may not have enough interest to warrant but the we are working on it.

Peter:
Will there be an option for running the PBK with the main speakers included, so that the optimized performance is of the whole system?

No, PBK is set up for the lower frequencies. We don't have plans for a full bandwidth version and believe that is best dealt with in the preamp side of you system. We aren't planning any electronics as our hands are full enough.
PBK is licensed from Paradigm and their ARC is full bandwidth and excellent.

To be clear this is for the new subs ; Can older subs like the Descent I be able to use this?

I am guessing no.

Joel

No, PBK is set up for the lower frequencies. We don't have plans for a full bandwidth version and believe that is best dealt with in the preamp side of you system. We aren't planning any electronics as our hands are full enough.

Any word on availability of the Balanced Force subs?

To be clear this is for the new subs ; Can older subs like the Descent I be able to use this?

I am guessing no.

I don't know how much a PBK is but if you buy a MiniDSP unit (or a Behringer FBQ1000/DSP1124P) and a USB mic like the MiniDSP UMIK-1 or the Dayton UMM-6 along with Room EQ Wizard you can do something similar for around $250. It's probably not as user friendly and easy as ML's PBK kit though.

Last edited:
Looks good, I see no reason at this point to venture away from my Velodyne DD-15 though.

Peter, I think I was unclear, sorry for that. My idea was to let the PBK equalize the combined bass from the sub AND the main speakers. Since you are already offering digital crossovers that are tailored for specific ML speakers, I was just thinking that optimum bass performance would be achieved by also taking into acount the low frequency output of the mains. After all, the bigger (powered woofer) Logans are not exactly bass-shy, and do put out useful energy in the low frequencies.

In any case, this has got me started seriously considering to save up for a ML sub for my Vantages.

I don't know how much a PBK is but if you buy a MiniDSP unit (or a Behringer FBQ1000/DSP1124P) and a USB mic like the MiniDSP UMIK-1 or the Dayton UMM-6 along with Room EQ Wizard you can do something similar for around $250. It's probably not as user friendly and easy as ML's PBK kit though.
With MiniDSP or similar, you can EQ not only the sub (any sub), but the mains, as well. And, you can select the mains/sub Xover frequency and slope.

You'd be surprised how much better your bass can sound.

understood, but given the very interactive nature of bass with your room, we will concentrate on this bandwidth, let the market take care of total system integration.

With MiniDSP or similar, you can EQ not only the sub (any sub), but the mains, as well. And, you can select the mains/sub Xover frequency and slope.

You'd be surprised how much better your bass can sound.

MiniDSP's are very cool pieces. Right now my subs share a box but I plan on splitting them and place them more effectively. With a MiniDSP and REW I'll be able to EQ them separately for the listening position. For the moment since 95% of my content is through my HTPC I installed Equalizer APO and generated some EQ filters with REW to flatten below 100hz (my receiver has a fixed XO :() and all I have to do to change it in real time is edit a shared text file on my network...

Back