Best Amps to bi-amp SL3's on a budget ???

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malcesine

Reaction score
Looking to upgrade my old amp to a pair of power / integrated amps to bi-amp my Martin Logan SL3's.

I prefer a smoother, musical style of amp - harsh, clinical and 'hifi' is not what I am after

My Puresound A30 valve integrated has easily been my favourite amp driving my old Proac 2.5 to give you an idea of my preferences but the A30's 30W class A isn't quite enough to get the best from panels. Goes plenty loud but not quite as good as a 100W Lyngdorf power amp I have.

I also use a subwoofer for <100Hz bass due to room issues and this works very well.

I can also adjust line output into both amps independently so exact match of amps is not necessary.

Listening at Low - Mid volumes in small to med room for acoustic, rock, indie, jazz and occasional HT.
Any higher powered options would be for control and musicality and not high SPL.

Budget is around $1500 used.

I have some thoughts around Parasound A23/A21 and Emotiva XPA-2 but my instinct is high powered valves for the panel and SS for the woofer.

Any thoughts or advice ?

Have you tried using your Puresound A30 to drive only the panels (ie with the jumper to the woofer disconnected)? Not needing to also drive the woofers makes life much easier for an amp.

Have you tried using your Puresound A30 to drive only the panels (ie with the jumper to the woofer disconnected)? Not needing to also drive the woofers makes life much easier for an amp.

I did try that and found my solid state Lyngdorf 100W class D was slightly better for the panels alone.
I mainly put that down to lack of power as the SL3's are the only speaker where any SS amp (and I have tried many) has bettered my A30 (large Proacs, MA, Triangle. PMC and other 'standard' box speakers) and the A30 was much better on all of those.
The A30 has power to go plenty loud on the SL3's but the panels just lack something in quality and sparkle that the Lyngdorf improves upon.

Ideally I would prefer to bi-amp but a stonking single amp might do just as well

On another note would a Krell KSA-80 fit the bill ?

thanks

Last edited:
Bi-amping means not only more amplifiers, but mroe cable and interconnect too. If you're on a budget, I'd concentrating on upgrading a single amplifier.

Agreed, unless you have amplifiers with identical pain level matching will be a pain. Go for a single amp, the Krell should do fine yes, or maybe look to Parasound NewClassic series or Emotiva.

I did try that and found my solid state Lyngdorf 100W class D was slightly better for the panels alone.
I mainly put that down to lack of power as the SL3's are the only speaker where any SS amp (and I have tried many) has bettered my A30 (large Proacs, MA, Triangle. PMC and other 'standard' box speakers) and the A30 was much better on all of those.
The A30 has power to go plenty loud on the SL3's but the panels just lack something in quality and sparkle that the Lyngdorf improves upon.

Ideally I would prefer to bi-amp but a stonking single amp might do just as well

On another note would a Krell KSA-80 fit the bill ?

thanks

What is the output impedance of Puresound A30 at high frequencies? Could that be the issue rather than lacking power output?

Looking to upgrade my old amp to a pair of power / integrated amps to bi-amp my Martin Logan SL3's.

I prefer a smoother, musical style of amp - harsh, clinical and 'hifi' is not what I am after

My Puresound A30 valve integrated has easily been my favourite amp driving my old Proac 2.5 to give you an idea of my preferences but the A30's 30W class A isn't quite enough to get the best from panels. Goes plenty loud but not quite as good as a 100W Lyngdorf power amp I have.

I also use a subwoofer for <100Hz bass due to room issues and this works very well.

I can also adjust line output into both amps independently so exact match of amps is not necessary.

Listening at Low - Mid volumes in small to med room for acoustic, rock, indie, jazz and occasional HT.
Any higher powered options would be for control and musicality and not high SPL.

Budget is around $1500 used.

I have some thoughts around Parasound A23/A21 and Emotiva XPA-2 but my instinct is high powered valves for the panel and SS for the woofer.

Any thoughts or advice ?
I would raise the budget to 1700$ and buy a pair of Emotiva XPA-1 then you don´t need to bi-amp and the trouble that will generate, these monoblocks will easy make your SL3 sing. i myself is on that line but living in Sweden makes it a little bit more difficult( Shipping cost and taxes) . I think this could be a great match.:music:

thanks for the suggestions!

That particular Emotiva sounds good but is too expensive.

On the impedence at high freq. not sure about the exact A30 specs but there could be something in that as its top end that is isn't quite as lively.

Had a suggestion also for a Bel Canto EVO 200.2 - is this one any good ?

Any other thoughts ?

Have a good weekend!

Last edited:
Please don't buy Chinese. Build or buy a Nelson Pass-designed amp. You should hear an F5 on the panels?

Back